• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

S&D mod team...who is interested?

DirtyRat

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006
Glasgow
www.outlawgamers.com
I would like to compile together a group of talented mappers to create maps for use in a Call of Duty esq "Search and Destroy" gametype for Red Orchestra.

The gametype would work very similar to CoDs/ CS with a focus on tactical teamplay, and no respawn.

The current mapping tools will easily allow for this, all that has to be done is:

• a) Set a shorter time limit (5mins)
  • b) Make smaller maps with only 2 Objectives
Some of the current RO maps could easily be converted to this new gametype.

-----------

I'd like to get about 8 maps together for the initial release, so any mappers out their making an RO design, it would be cool if you thought about making a smaller S&D version of your maps.

Once we have 8 maps I will launch an S&D server, and talk to the various leagues about creating new S&D ladders, as I think this will attract a lot of CoD and CS players over to the RO scene - many players dislike respawning gametypes, so I am hoping this will appeal to that kind of player.

-----------

If you are a mapper - post here if your interested in contributing. I'd like to aim for an August release.

----------
Lastly I'd like to say I love ROs current gametype, but variety is the spice of life!

If I get enough interest I will create a small website to discuss your map ideas etc.

YES! Ive been wanting this for ages. You would also have to make it so you could play say 15 rounds instead of 2 for normal gametype before map switch. But yes 5min rounds, single respawn only one objective (probably have to change it from a cap to a bomb esque type thing. Knowing how UT objs work you could do something like stand in a highlighted area for 5-10 seconds and a bomb is planted and to defuse you have to stand in that area for 10-15 secs. But you may be able to tweak this so you have to hold use aswell but i believe UT works on players in a zone for objectives.

Upvote 0
Defuse ? Defuse is unrealistic :)

Well though that is a thing one has to decide upon if one wants to include it, considering the Difficulty in Ostfront to break through a profer Defense it would be okay to have a undefuseable Satchel. But thats just my opinion, it would depend upon the Layout of the Map.

Though one first should sperate Objectives which can get blown up only by a select Amount of Sturmpioniere/Sapers or Objectives where everyone has a Bomb to blow up the Objective.

I don't know what kind of S&D Gameplay Dirty had in his mind.

Upvote 0
well I think in all honesty to make this more realistic defusing should NOT be an option.

To make this realistic, planting a satchel with say a 15sec time limit at each objective should be the aim of the attackers, while the defenders have got too defend the targets.

You may have to adjust the class loadout so ALL the attackers get 1 Satchel each which can only be used at the objectives...Sappers could get more obviously.

I've never liked the defuse option in S&D, if this was real life they wouldn't have time to defuse....and I've also always thought its a bit dumb the allies win by only blowing up one objective out of two...they should have to do both...or make it so their is only one objective, or a series of smaller objectives.

Indeed the retrieval gametype would work well as well, capturing the AI commander for interrogation for example!

Upvote 0
DirtyRat said:
well I think in all honesty to make this more realistic defusing should NOT be an option.

To make this realistic, planting a satchel with say a 15sec time limit at each objective should be the aim of the attackers, while the defenders have got too defend the targets.

You may have to adjust the class loadout so ALL the attackers get 1 Satchel each which can only be used at the objectives...Sappers could get more obviously.

I've never liked the defuse option in S&D, if this was real life they wouldn't have time to defuse....and I've also always thought its a bit dumb the allies win by only blowing up one objective out of two...they should have to do both...or make it so their is only one objective, or a series of smaller objectives.

Indeed the retrieval gametype would work well as well, capturing the AI commander for interrogation for example!
S&D is about changing flow dynamics within a single round. Assaulters become defenders and defenders become assaulters. That's the main reason I like the S&D gametype.

Bravo to the initiative, but please keep the basic principle of the gametype in tact, thats what it's about :)

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
S&D is about changing flow dynamics within a single round. Assaulters become defenders and defenders become assaulters. That's the main reason I like the S&D gametype.

Bravo to the initiative, but please keep the basic principle of the gametype in tact, thats what it's about :)

Well you have a point, but other mods of the S&D gametype for cod, primarily Demolition gametype did the double objective faster plant time quite well.

I guess preserving the current "rules" of the S&D gametype should be the first priority. Perhaps those making maps for the infantry contest would consider creating S&D versions..?

Upvote 0
DirtyRat said:
well i've had no real interest thus far, so it doesn't look like it will happen unless some mappers out there take it into consideration :(

You will need more then mappers to make a new gametype :eek:
There is no way to set timed demolitions, since there ain't timed demolitions in the game nor is there a way to work with 1 life per player atmo.

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
You will need more then mappers to make a new gametype :eek:
There is no way to set timed demolitions, since there ain't timed demolitions in the game nor is there a way to work with 1 life per player atmo.

Actually there is a solution to the One Life per Player :), simply set the Reinforcement Time = or > as the Map Time and you got only one Wave, as in S&D.

Well the timed Explosives are a problem, but perhaps it could be done with triggered objectives, if you stand long enough in the DemoZone (normal Capzone) the Cap Changes, and the Destructible Objective at the same Spot "unlocks" which allows you to place a normal Satchel. Though this would mean more people in the "DemoZone" would trigger it faster, this would be acceptable in my Eyes.

Or is it impossible to "lock" a Destructible Objective ?

Upvote 0
The Reinforcement timer set to > maptime could be a possible solution, but it's too hacked to my taste. You'll have RUNNING OUT OF REINFORCEMNTS messages, people missing the spawnwave etc. You'll have to experiment with it, but it sounds too hacked to me.
Also, you could do a respawn based version of S&D, but one would have to look into design aspects of that.

The demolition objective, i'm sure you can lock demolition objectives, but i'm not sure it's a good idea. You can unlock it by triggers possibly... Maybe the standard UT gameobjective can let you make a proper objective, but i'm not sure whats still functional.

Also, you want everyone to run around with satchels?? That'll be the death of it instantly. It won't be S&D, but RO:Nuke :) You really need a new demolition weapon, preferably only placable at the objective, and one that can be either picked up and thrown away or defused by the opposite team. You should also think about if this weapon stays on the map when someone carrying it is killed and if the demolition team should have an indicator on it's compass and overhead map of the location of it, or maybe anyone starts with one and it is only placable at the objective and not a nuke to be thrown wherever you like. Or have it like COD and have it on the objective already (plus indicator) and make it a 'usetrigger'. Again, it's worth thinking about and designing it. Maybe you'll even come up with solutions that we're not aware of atmo.

I would suggest starting a design document first, look at what staff you need, and then start recruiting with your actual plan :)

Upvote 0