• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Russians at an anti tank disadvantage?

kikinchaz

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2006
Hey there,

After playing a enjoyable game tonight on RO - just like every game :) I decided to try out the AT class for the Russians. I had never properly tried to use it. Im not to sure about the range of the rifle or anything yet. I asked someone on the server why the rifle seemed to suck so bad - and he said you have to be close up.

"Fair enough" i thought to myself. So i stuck with it and kept truntering on for that 1 tank kill. On the snowy map - one with the bride and the peninsula :p (Sorry havent had the game for a week yet - map begins with "B" i just cant think of it off the top of my head) i was on the german side of the bridge proned. Just across the way was a tank - from left to right of the bridge distance length (thats not much) and i shot at a tank. Hits.....no kill..hmm. Reloads - shoots again. This went on for 5 shots until the tank killed me eventualy. Yes the tank DID NOT die, or even start smoking.

What the hell!? I have been / seen tanks killed by panzerfausts many times. Why is the AT rifle so damn crap? Surely this is leaving the russians at a major disadvantage. Sure its fun trying to steal a panzerfaust off a corpse but having an anti tank rifle that isnt actualy being anti..towards a tank apart from distracting it!? I had to keep calling for help from a tank to try get me out of the sticky situation.

Also a german can have...sub machine gun or rifle + panzerfaust. (Maybe just sub machine gun, cant quite remember - i know its a primary weapon) Yet the Russians just get the AT(distraction)rifle and a pistol?

Whats everyone else think about this matter?

Regards,
ChaZ

The german AT soldier gets a SMG because the rockets are lighter than the anti-tank gun AND you can use the AT gun for anti-infantry purposes..doing the same with the 'faust is almost impossible.

That and there are ussually caches of panzerfausts lying around the map, even on the Allied side of the map. Silly, but there you go..grab one!

Upvote 0
True point. But i was 100% direct on from the side? 5 hits from my AT rifle didnt kill this tank. Just seems stupid? Seems pretty crazy. I guess ill have to try it out some more :p

Random comment here - Anyone played Soldiers:Heroes of WW2? A strategy with direct control - best LAN game ive ever played. Anyway , RO is like a first person version of soldiers! I love it :p Pretty funny how RO is the best MP game ive ever played :p It has so much in common its pretty damn crazy. If you havent played it seriously check it out.

Regards,
ChaZ

Upvote 0
kikinchaz said:
True point. But i was 100% direct on from the side? 5 hits from my AT rifle didnt kill this tank. Just seems stupid? Seems pretty crazy. I guess ill have to try it out some more :p

What you say really means nothing unless you give more details. Which tank? where did you aim? As a hint the PTRD has a max penetration of about 30mm irl, and the Panther has at least 40mm of armour, and the Tiger has at least 60mm of armour. And even if it penetrated, such a small bullet is unlikely to do much.

From a historical point of view the PTRD quickly become useless as an anti-tank weapon. Anti-tank rifles were rapidly becoming an obsolete weapon at the start of the war, and were essentially useless against the newer tank designs. Be glad that ingame it's made rather uber and able to destroy medium/heavy tanks consistantly, something it was unable to do in real life. Hell, you can one shot pz3/stugs with it, something it was highly unlikely to ever do irl even in ideal circumstances.

Upvote 0
kikinchaz said:
What were you shooting at? The map was Barashka so it was either the Stug III (the German SPG with no turret), the Pz IV (tank with a round dome on the top) or the Tiger (looks like the Pz IV, but with a slightly rounded turret and alot bigger). From your description I'm going to say that it was the Tiger. If that's the case then there's nothing you can do. The Tiger has so much armour that the ptrd just couldn't penetrate it. The thing was pretty much invulnerable to the ptrd's 14.5 mm round. You could unload into the thing all day and all night, reload and then do it again and you'd barely dent the armour. You'd have much better luck with either the Pz IV or the Stug (which uses a Pz III chassis). Go take a closer look at the Tank date sheets and locate where the ammo stores are located. If you can get in close and put a round through those the things will go up.

Spade said:
Well, PTRD should only be partially effective against lightly armoured vehicles and barely able to scratch the paint on tanks.

In game you can even destroy Tigers and Panthers with it which is total bollox.
The PTRD was highly effective against the Pz III (and the stug III) and was fairly effective against the Pz IV (at least before they added the armour skirts). The Panther's frontal armour could take the round, but the Panther had much weaker armour on the flanks and rear and was vulnerable to the 14.5 round there. I've heard there is one small spot where it's possible to damage a Tiger, but I've never seen a PTRD round damage a Tiger. Against the earlier tanks though it was effective.

As for the PTRD gunner only having a pistol, well, there were usually two man crews for the tank, with the second guy having a ppsh, which is a little more firepower, however getting someone to actually support you and watch your six is difficult in game. Also I think the 2nd guy might have done the loading when they were set up which increased the rate of fire and made the thing more of a threat.

For in game, if you can get the other PTRD gunner (if there is one) to set up with you and you take staggered shots against incomming tanks you'll be much deadlier to the enemy troops.

EvilAmericanMan said:
I've destroyed a Panzer III on HedgeHog before by aiming at the turret and destroyed it on about my third shot. I belive the tank was damaged before I engaged it, BUT I was also a VERY long distance away from the tank. Russians seem to have a range advantage.

I took out a Pz III on Bondarevo with a single shot to it's left side ammo stores. I know it was undamaged because it was the beginning of the round. I was set up in the farm house window. I lined up my shot and as it passed some 3-5 meters in front of me, I fired and boom. One freshly brewed cup of Panzer III.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Well the PTRD ain't strong but you can take out a Tank very easily from the Side/Rear if you shoot at the full Side/Rear. If the Tank is angled towards you the Bullet has Problems penetrating.

I personally prefer the PTRD over the Panzerfaust...
Same here
i get more PTRD kills than Faust ones,
I like it cause with a PTRD i can snipe infantry to
If you know where to shoot with the PTRD i think it is uber deadly

Upvote 0
kikinchaz said:
Hey there,

After playing a enjoyable game tonight on RO - just like every game :) I decided to try out the AT class for the Russians. I had never properly tried to use it. Im not to sure about the range of the rifle or anything yet. I asked someone on the server why the rifle seemed to suck so bad - and he said you have to be close up.

"Fair enough" i thought to myself. So i stuck with it and kept truntering on for that 1 tank kill. On the snowy map - one with the bride and the peninsula :p (Sorry havent had the game for a week yet - map begins with "B" i just cant think of it off the top of my head) i was on the german side of the bridge proned. Just across the way was a tank - from left to right of the bridge distance length (thats not much) and i shot at a tank. Hits.....no kill..hmm. Reloads - shoots again. This went on for 5 shots until the tank killed me eventualy. Yes the tank DID NOT die, or even start smoking.

What the hell!? I have been / seen tanks killed by panzerfausts many times. Why is the AT rifle so damn crap? Surely this is leaving the russians at a major disadvantage. Sure its fun trying to steal a panzerfaust off a corpse but having an anti tank rifle that isnt actualy being anti..towards a tank apart from distracting it!? I had to keep calling for help from a tank to try get me out of the sticky situation.

Also a german can have...sub machine gun or rifle + panzerfaust. (Maybe just sub machine gun, cant quite remember - i know its a primary weapon) Yet the Russians just get the AT(distraction)rifle and a pistol?

Whats everyone else think about this matter?

Regards,
ChaZ

What kind of arcade gamer you are? :D I recommend you to read manual and game guides.

Different maps have different configurations on weapons because the maps have historical basis. One map may have german at men with mp40 + faust and other kar98 + faust and so on.

Upvote 0
I destroyed a Tiger with a PTRD. It was damaged and smoking, and I aimed at the rear compartment. I was pinging away at it, and all of a sudden it exploded! I had to check from the upper right corner if it was really my kill - and it was!

It was this tank:
[

I went closer than I am in the picture, next to the farmhouse on the right to get a rear shot, but the Tiger kept moving forward and backward. It was fighting with T-34s in the distance, and the tank was smoking and damaged when I got to position.

Anybody recognize themselves in the picture?

Sorry for the big picture - I couldn't get the thumbnails working despite several attempts.

Upvote 0
Shh! Haven't you seen WW2 films? German tanks are always Tigers! :D

But seriously i think that i've had about equal success as a German/Russian AT soldier.

I think the best time was as Russian on the Airfield map. i linked up with the other AT soldier and spent our time ambushing the Pz4 that didn't seem to learn and kept coming the same way. We didn't organise it, but we ended up with a roling fire, i'd shoot and reload and while i was doing that he'd shoot. It would take an average of three shots in total before the tank brewed up.

Being a 'faust-man on Arad is also fun. In the north village you can easily kill several tanks before they flush you out.

Upvote 0