• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROOST vet asks: Current state of RO2?

BoltActionJackson

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
Hey guys/gals. I was a huge ROOST player for several years. One of the best times I've had in my well over 30 years of gaming. I had planned on building a new rig for the release of RO2 but life got in the way and I was stuck with older titles and consoles for a bit. However I have recently upgraded my work laptop and it is more than capable. So my questions:

1. What is the status/activity of US based servers?
2. What is the status of the community for RO2? Still active? People working together and using mics?
3. What is the state of the game? I know there were issues early on. Have they been cleaned up? Is RO2 a game ROOST vets can get behind?

Thanks! :IS2:

Hey guys/gals. I was a huge ROOST player for several years. One of the best times I've had in my well over 30 years of gaming. I had planned on building a new rig for the release of RO2 but life got in the way and I was stuck with older titles and consoles for a bit. However I have recently upgraded my work laptop and it is more than capable. So my questions:

1. What is the status/activity of US based servers?
2. What is the status of the community for RO2? Still active? People working together and using mics?
3. What is the state of the game? I know there were issues early on. Have they been cleaned up? Is RO2 a game ROOST vets can get behind?

1) Current state of RO2 or ROOST? If RO2? pretty much alive 24/7. ROOST only certain hours have more than 20 players in one server.

2) RO2 is alive. People ARE communicating alot. I like.

3) Most bugs are gone including "cannot prone here" but there is still but not that serious. Veterans would slide right into RO2. Make sure you go to classic servers so everything feels native to you.

Upvote 0

I'd have to say its 50/50 at best on that one.

But to be perfectly honest, it is a game the ROOST vets could get behind almost 100% (It still lacks transport vehicles thus the less than 100%).

However, running a strictly classic (an almost a RO:OST look-a-like) or a custom setting (RO2 is highly customizable and the server admin can adjust a lot of settings to his liking) will almost guarantee having to hunt for a populated server. So, for a 24/7 server experience, you'll have to join one of the cookie cutter servers running stock maps only. After two years, they get kind of, well..... <yawn>. Sadly, custom maps...and there are some GREAT ones...are a kiss of death to a server as well.

We could debate for hours what the reason(s) is/(are), but those are the facts. If you're lucky, about the best you can hope for is that you'll find a server with the settings you like with players at the time you can play. After you tire of the stock maps, or if you don't like the 'realism' settings you'll have a little tougher time.

As an old time PC gamer, I don't understand the mindset of the current FPS player. Back in the day we had to write our own scripts and modify the code to get the changes that TW lets us do with the click of mouse now. Custom mappers were not nearly as polished as they are today. We would have killed for the quality generated by mappers today. But alas, society is what it is.

Hard to beat the price for what you get though. RO and RS. I say go for it. We can always use an old RO:Ost vet on the custom/classic servers. **edit** and to the game's credit, on most servers, there is a lot of teamwork on the VOIP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. buy RS and get RO2 HOS content on top of it. ( not Sp but i guess you dont care about that part anyways )

2. ignore "action" mode...

3. realism is a relaxed ro1

4. classic gets better with the time...

5. have fun :) some good games to partake in out there.

( bridges of druzina and gumrakstation are probaly closest to what you liked about ro1...oh and dont be suprised...danzig is still there... )

6. as allways. get the bolt and get a hang of things :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't help that there's one Classic server with people in Europe, none in NA.
besides, we should all try out every mode and then make a decision. not try and make someone feel like they have to play a certain mode to remain a "real RO1 vet". don't forget the servers that are running custom settings as well, like RGN. I feel that gives me a more RO1 feel than classic ever has.

Upvote 0
I can really recommend this game for you.

I am an old vet myself and played ROOst about 300+ hours.

I bougth RO2 one year after release and played it about 750+ hours, so you can guess I do like it! :D
And I think the "realism-mode" is more fun than the "classic-mode", but thats just my opinion.

And the new Rising Storm game is great, too. (I am now playing for 200+ hours)
So with 1000 hours of playing time for RO2 and RS I can say this game is worth every penny!

The game is now in a near perfect state - no major bugs.
The "cannot prone" is something that happens sometimes on a map but I wont consider it as a major bug...

Upvote 0
Considering its usually a couple of dollars in the sales(and theses are frequent),i would wait for the next sale and buy and try.

Its a good time to play as we have some excellent custom maps out at the moment.And with a choice of eastern or pacific fronts you don't get bored of the maps.
So if infantry combat gets your blood going then it might be for you.

However if you only liked the tanks in RO1/DH then dont bother!

Upvote 0
I personally prefer ROOST, but I have about as much time in RO2. It's a very good game, but different enough to RO1 that you should really try it.

It's a lot less forgiving than RO1; certainly far higher tempo in realism mode. I find myself struggling with my reactions which was never an issue in RO1. Classic is very good but the numbers aren't there. Personally i think you're probably better off learning to get along with realism.

The biggest issues the game has IMO is increased speed and accuracy have made map design very critical - what works in RO1 doesn't work so well here. CQB maps are absolutely brutal.

It's cheap, and worth every penny. I've been critical of it but it should be in every WW2 enthusiast's collection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Buy it, its a good game but i prefer Ro Ost more. Ro2 is lacking on vehicles, weapons and tanks. May the future will bring us some promised content. The game has high potential. Also a Cummunity Mod team is working on them, and they are doing great.
If you buy the game, join some Custom Map Servers and support the community. Most of the highly populated Servers dont host em, so my advice ignore those servers and help populated only Custom Map servers.

Upvote 0
the maps are still shamefully small, the guns are all still mystical laser cannons even in classic, the terrible boring brown/blanche white/bloated blue colour filters still exist, 0 vehicles and 1 gun have been added in 2 years, the weapons and explosives sound like paintball toys and tripwire stripped the good voice files for no apparent reason, and the very existence of the bipods being bound to cover nodes denies the fact that we've had games like infiltration(UT99 mod) with proper bipod implementation running on the same engine.
in short, don't bother; get WW2online instead, i hear it's f2p these days.

Upvote 0
the maps are still shamefully small, the guns are all still mystical laser cannons even in classic, the terrible boring brown/blanche white/bloated blue colour filters still exist, 0 vehicles and 1 gun have been added in 2 years, the weapons and explosives sound like paintball toys and tripwire stripped the good voice files for no apparent reason, and the very existence of the bipods being bound to cover nodes denies the fact that we've had games like infiltration(UT99 mod) with proper bipod implementation running on the same engine.
in short, don't bother; get WW2online instead, i hear it's f2p these days.

Please ignore this. The guns are generally one shot kills, like IRL, we have had 2 guns added, I think the voice acting in this game is quite good, their are a few big maps, but its the setting is in Stalingrad, of course their will be a lot of small, close quarters maps, that being said, their are a fee huge custom maps and custom maps that became official that are huge. (Bridges of Druzhina) I would say buy it if you love infantry combat. And despite what you may have heard, vehicles are on the way, theirs a mod team working on it with support from TWI.

Upvote 0