• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO2-PIChaikovskii Vehicle only objective in RO2 map design

Sined {Oz}

Aug 12, 2011
Ok so i have a map in mind have researched terrain and buildings and time frame. the logistical problem is that most likely the russians will be surrounded inside a building shortly after game commences.
It is based on true events and true location , just prior to axis arriving at moscow
It is based on the premise of rescue, the vehicle (a truck) would ideally enter fighting area stay a while (loading) and then depart

problem 1. can i set an objective based on a vehicle getting from point a into and out of point b and successfully arriving at point c! this would be the ideal scenarion. it must be the same vehicle, though many vehicles can try to be the successful vehicle.

Points a and c can be off fighting area or be same area

Clearly if this is impractical i can just set a timer to hold a simple set of capzones, but the vehicle idea is fun and different

Many thnx for any assistance either pre release or after the editor ships

Working title is RO2-PIChaikovskii

Overall minimal vehicles in mind at moment,terrain unsuited to CA as such, m/cycle or Pzkw1 (if available would be great, or Schwimwagon.

Setting is his last residence outside Klin that was a museum since before the war and was captured by Germans and used as a motorcycle garage and barracks . the Russians need to remove/move (as they did) the museum to a safer location before the Germans arrive.

Set in a beautiful forest garden next to a river (some artistic licence taken here) and nearby bogs a two storey manor house, coachhouse and glasshouse surrounded by gates and fences awaits

I'll try to help out a bit. In RO:OST we developed some code and models very late in the 'life' of that game. An exmaple is this map, which I don't think I ever released in beta_2+ http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=24863http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=24863

Also, there is a package of 'Search & Destroy' maps out there from us (Minionworz/After-Hourz) where we turned AT guns into satchel objectives. I did one version on the Roadblock map and another on the Lyes Krovy trench map. The objectives (AT guns) randomly spawned as well to make each round a bit different.

The point of this is that we figured out some code to turn vehicles, AT guns, tanks, trucks, etc into objectives...that COULD MOVE. This presented a wealth of opportunity not seen anywhere, as far as I know, where you could turn a Zis truck into a supply convoy... "Get 3 of 5 trucks through the German lines..." type thing, or "Get the Zis to point X to save the precious Matroska dolls...". Use volumes to recognize the arrival of the trucks etc. This would give unlimited potential for combined arms play... or not, depending on your imagination.

Unfortunately, this stuff came along very late and it was still a bit buggy and real life got in the way for our team. I think the concepts are right along with your idea here. I am certain the logic can be done, even more so with the use of Kismet in the new tool set. The only down side: Real, working vehicles. I seriously doubt the community will produce any, at least not for a very very long time. Unless Tripwire releases more vehicles along the way your choices will be limited unless you make use of static models, un-drivable, of course, but they could be laid out on randomly branching paths where say a volume detects them then the Squad Leader has to do something, make a choice of left, right, or straight by toggling something on the side of the road etc. The Germans would not know for sure where the truck would go until it moved... etc. You get the idea. I like the concept, implementation is always the challenge and this new tool set and engine are very challenging. Plan well. Then be ready to adapt, a lot! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Slyk. most interesting post. Wasnt thinking about Scripting, but you have got me thinking! in my only other map i scripted a mover to activate a bombing plane..flyby.. so i (now!) fully have a few other new ideas to chase up.. but your mention of convoys as objectives reminded me of other classic objectives and of course CTF! (insert precious Matroska doll! ;-))
Will rummage around in ROSDK and see if i can set up ctf and "force it to leave by truck? or be the truck? hmmm
But thanks again Slyk for the interesting ideas

PS Map is medium sized at mo (perhaps 20% larger than medium! ) tweaking the bsp mesh to prepare for a Russian Bog, Axis approach through bog to a state house on a slight rise in Aspen forests.

Does anyone know if bayos or knives and stabbing wil be in RO2 (not bayos on rifles)
Cheers

Upvote 0