• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Smolensk Stalemate - Beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

"The German Army converted a few captured guns to 9mm (their preferred caliber for pistol ammunition) by changing the barrel and using an adapter in the magazine well to take their MP40 stick magazines. As well as logistical reasons, this was done to eliminate friendly fire incidents as the PPSh-41 has a very distinctive shape. However, on the other hand, this eliminated the 71 round magazines that their German owners liked so much! In German use the PPSh-41 was designated "MP717(R)" - the "R" meaning it was a captured Russian weapon in German military typology."

Bottom line..... how many were "converted" and who did the modifying or was it "in the field" modifying?? In other words, was it done in any appreciable quantities and by whom??.

Upvote 0
Simply put...

(Taken from this article on Wikipedia.)

Adopted by the enemy

The captured PPSh was in particular a favorite weapon of the Germans. Due to the similar dimensions of the Soviet 7.62 x 25 mm and German 9 mm Parabellum cartridges, the PPSh-41 was easily modified, with a 9 mm barrel and a magazine-well adapter to fire from a standard 32-round MP38/40 magazine (some sources report that the conversion attempts did not work [citation needed]). The Wehrmacht officially adopted the converted PPSh-41 as the MP41(r), unconverted PPSh-41s were designated MP717(r).

Anytime I see a PPSH or a PPD laying on the battlefield, I will throw whatever weapon I have and pick it up, regardless of the situation I am currently in.

That first article I posted wasn't very well written know that I went back and read it.

Page_17.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.