• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-JaKdo-Schiessbahn-B7 (Firing range Map)

Witzig

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006
Germany
This MAP is NOT intended for playing as a normal RO Map but as a Training Map, or used for Scoreshooting (one Person in the Bunker taking notes).

Its my first Map and still in the Beta Phase, i inted to sometime opening it up, since most ranges are outdoors, but i went for the easy Box Design first.

There are firing Ranges for 10, 20, 30, 60, 80, 100 and 150m for normal Weapons. The 20Meter range was placed on the Grenade Range due to running out of Space. Every Range overs resting Positions for crouching/prone.
One Panzerfaust Range with IS-II Tanks as Targets.
A Grenade Range with several Targets Windows, Bunkerslits, Foxholes, Sandbag-Bunkers and Doors on different Levels.

Some Screenshots:
A bit advertisiment ;):
Vorstellung3.jpg

Rifle Firing range (from left to right: 30m, 150m, 60m, 80m, 100m):
Overview.gif

The Targets:
Vorstellung4.jpg

Grenade Range:
Vorstellung2.jpg

Foxhole:
Shot00267.jpg

Panzerfaust Range:
Vorstellung1.jpg

And the Download Link:
http://www.jakdo.de/ostfront/RO-Jakdo-Schiessbahn-B7.7z

Just because I can.. do you have some sort of indicator to tell when the player hit the target?

You can do knock-down targets by using Movers that reset and are damage triggered.
(for long-range targets, you can set it to trigger a MessageTrigger, which will display a message of your choosing..)

If you haven't already, I recommend placing a couple ammo-reloading volumes around with a short delay.. no one wants to have to respawn to get more ammo :)

Target Range maps are an excellent way to start getting into the Trigger & Scripting parts of making a level btw.. :)

(It's how I learned.. )

Upvote 0
Well actually we in our Unit do it per Hand since there is no easy Way to tell which ring of the Target was hit. There is a Reason for the holes in front of the Targets :). Yeah i should have added that above, on each Range there is at least 1 Ammo Supply Volume with a 3 Second Delay.

I already thought about adding Moving Targets and Knock Down Targets would be another nice addition. Though this is the first time ever i used any SDK (except for changing loadouts on a Tank Test Map, based on the Tutorial Maps). Nicely written tutorial :) helped me a LOT.

Actually i wondered about making moving Avatars... dunno if its possible...

Upvote 0
I tried the map with bots, just for fun - and damn it was crazy! :D

Anyways, it's a bit heavy on fps, and is "JaKdo" really neccesary in the map name? I think it's fine you have a banner in the map itself, but it seems abit too.. (I'm looking for a word I can't find :p) to have your clan name in the map itself.

Upvote 0
aag567 said:
Can someone please host the map for me? I put the map in the redorchestra folder but it isn't on the map list when I try to start a server.
in the steam/steamapps/[steamusername]/redorchestra/ folder, make a folder called "maps" and put the map (.rom) file in the maps folder.

I typed suicide in the console to respawn, going from a Scharfeshutze w/ G43 to a StoBtrupppioniere w/ MP41, and it froze for 45 secs before I spawned, and then I went and where I died this appeared:
shot000201ry.png

the only other thing I ask is for a tank range type thing, with the different distances, and perhaps different weapon pickups so you don't have to keep dieing to get a different wep- although I don't think htis is possible right now...

EDIT: The freeze thing happens every time you die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PUTZ said:
Drax, were you the one that made RO-Shootingrange? back in the mod days...

200 bots walking around + satchels! woo

No.. that wasn't me..
my Shooting range map never got released I don't think, and it was for TacOps (1.6 era..) on UT99..

had random pop-ups sequences.. msg notifications.. knock-downs in an urban setting.. gernade range... all the good stuff. :)

For doing a single-player only shooting range, you can use alot more movers and DSMs then your would normally since you don't have to worry about network optimization or anything like that.

Say you have a target with 4 rings and a bullseye..
make 5 different ring-shapped movers.. one for each ring..
set them to have no frames (so they don't move).. and set bDamageTriggered = true.

Since this might be at ranges difficult to see, I'd setup a MessageTrigger that you call when the mover 'opens'. The msg would tell the player what ring was hit.. I recommend putting it on the bottom-right message window so it's not in teh way..

---

as for setting up player-looking targets, you can always make movers from the scale actors, and do something similar to above.

Now if you want a MOVING target that also does this.. do it like above, but attach it to a mover that goes back and forth.. (or however you want it to move..)

Knock down targets are very similar.. just they actually move.. frame1 is a pivot down.. set it so it stays down a while.

Upvote 0