• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO Impressions now the game's been out (for vets and new comers)

I've liked RO ever since I bought it and I've never come to regret having done so. It's a pretty good game and currently its the only FPS that I play regularly.

As time has passed I've become more aware of its faults and the annoying little things, particularly because some of them would literally take 15 minutes to fix from a decent coder, and still haven't been adressed despite these people now getting paid and me having actually bought this game.

That said, I'm still liking it quite a bit and I'm going to keep at it. Hopefully we can get the easy and small things fixed (eg. autoteambalance, joining players counting towards the Soviets, autoselect team always putting you on Axis, etc) and maybe a new map or two to provide us with a fresh experience now and then. :)

Upvote 0
BobCobb said:
As TTR fizzled out I needed a new WW2 game to play. I had known about RO, mostly good things, and instead of waiting for the UT2k3 version of TTR, I hopped on board RO at about v1.1. The game was awesome, to say the least.

RO has only gotten better and is easily the best FPS i have ever played.

Stupid question , What is TTR ?
Thanks

Edit : nevermind found it , http://www.ttrgame.com/shownews.php?tid=641

Upvote 0
I hadn't heard of RO until I saw the ad for Ostfront on Steam. I had just gotten back into online gaming after a long hiatus. I was really enjoying DoD:S at the time. I downloaded Ostfront and I havent looked back since. Hands down, the best gaming experience so far. I have a great time every time I boot it up.

I just bought another copy for my cousin cause it's just so much more fun when you know people and can team up.

Upvote 0
Impressions

Impressions

First played the UT mod several years ago . . . didn't dig it at all. Animations and graphics in general didn't compare to HOB mod for COD. Got excited about the retail and jumped in mainly because of disappointment with COD2.

First off, ROOST is a vast improvement over the mod in everyway but perhaps the number of maps. Those will come in time with the SDK release. Having said that, Its not my kind of game really. Its just a matter of taste. I like a blend of tactics, realism and action. I prefer the mix quite a bit heavier on the action. I truly wonder how much more I would like this game if there were 64 players on maps with more natural choke points. I also wonder how much a medic class would add to the flow of game play. I just don't have the patience to run halfway across the map, get situated, exchange 3 shots, die and wait on a respawn all the way back at the reinforcement drop.

The game is excellent at what it does, i.e., create a real since of 1940s battlefield experience. I just don't find that experience very fun. Just too deliberate for me. I still play once and a while and enjoy it but my frustration kicks in around 15 mins of gameplay. Somewhere between this game and COD UO is the perfect game for me, I'll keep my fingers crossed but I won't hold my breath.

Upvote 0
BobdogG5 said:
Let's see......

One day I read about RO in a TINY little blurb in MacAddict (seriously, it was this little thing of <50 words and a postage-stamp sized screenie; I'd scan it if I could find the damned issue....) and thought that it looked pretty neat. However I didn't have UT2k3 at the time and wasn't planning on buying it since 2K4 was going to be released in a few months anyway (at this point I was really more interested in UT; mods were secondary) After that I pretty much forgot about RO. When UT2K4 finally came out, I bought it. After a couple of weeks of playing, I started thinking about mods and remembered "that neat sounding WW2 mod I read about a long time ago" :) I dug up the old copy of MacaAddict and got the url. It was acouple of weeks after the release of 2.0, and the video demonstrating the new MG-34 made me drool :D After seeing it deployed and the barrel change (OMG THAT IS SOO COOL!!! :D~~ I thought) I HAD TO download it and try it. Once I started playing it, I realized that it was OMGWTF-AWESOME, and after the customary week of getting my ass handed to me, I was totally hooked; it pretty much instantly became my number-one game that sucked in all of my free time.

As time went on, RO just got better and better with each release, except for perhaps the occasional major bug, but those were always fixed quickly :) Back in the 2.0 days there were still many features to be added to RO, and I enjoyed the massive threads where people would argue about how much better adding tank would make RO or how much it would destroy the gameplay (These things would go on for 30-50 pages, they were real monsters, but somehow they managed to remain intelligent and on-topic for most of the time)

When 3.0 and tank finally were introduced, while innovative, they were really clunky and hard too use, although still a lot of fun to use. As RO progressed to 3.3 They just got more and more polished, as well as pretty much everything else ingame.

With the release of Ostfront, I was effectively cut off from RO since steam requires windows :( However, I bought a copy anyway (Since RO is just THAT COOL!!!) and my friend was kind enough to allow me to essentially rape his hard drive with it (His comp was brand-spanking new, and I was fragmenting his hard drive's pristine bits with 2 gigs of a game that he was going to delete after I was done playing it) and play for a couple of hours :D Somehow, the devs managed to make Ostfront a hundred times awesomer than ever!

I'm pretty sure that in the futre, RO will just keep getting better and better, culminating hopefully with a version on the UE 3.0 engine.
Ro Ost. made a MAC Guy buy Windows... that should be in bold print on the retail box. :D that is Awesome. :)

Upvote 0
I found RO:Ost on Steam one day while looking for something to play, our clan is mostly Wolf:ET based and I was getting a bit tired of playing the same thing every night. I'd also just upgraded my computer and wanted to try some newer engines.

So I hummed and hawed for a couple of days about purchasing RO:Ost and took the plunge, at first I was worried I'd made a mistake since I just wasn't used to the aiming, etc. but after a few hours it began to grow on me and I realized I liked this game much more than Wolf:ET.

Now, that being said I would like to see it on a bit more recent engine, I purchased HL2 on the weekend and the Source engine blew me away with the level of interactive elements in the world, I mean RO on that would mean fences that tanks can drive through, etc.

Still though, the developers have done a great job with the engine they are using. I probably wouldn't have noticed it being a bit behind the times since it is so much more than Wolf:ET :)

Upvote 0
I'd seen the mod mentioned in PCGAMER but did'nt have unreal tournament, then slowly pcgamer covered ostfront and it looked great, sounded like a nice break from BF2 and CSS, Saw the pre-order on steam but was'nt sure. Read a few reviews and about a month after release bought it.

Cant use the rifles but I'm a pretty good SMG user. RO:O is a nice break from my usual gaming diet but wont be replacing BF2 or CSS for a while.

Upvote 0
Haha theres all of you with your huge stories and mine is pathetic... Well It was only acouple of months ago whilst waiting for the CoD2 patch, when some guy posted a comment on codfilefront. Saying something like stuff this im getting RO.. so i was like "whats ro?" googled it, found this site, game looked awesome bought it and havent stopped playing since lol its awesome!:D

Upvote 0
Well, it's been about a week now since I bought ROOST on Steam. I've been with RO since 3.3 (the mod for the newbs) and I've been faithful to it. I'm happy with my purchase, however, I felt the need to voice several worries I have that I was wondering what solutions may or may not be in the future.

Basically, I'm having the problems with load times everyone seems to be having. I've settled for leaving precaching on, all settings on lowest (resolution 1280x800 however) , and cachemegs at 64. The problem I have been having was with load times when I had precaching on. I fixed that. Precaching always off worked. However, on almost 90% of the sereves I'd join, it'd take 50ish seconds to load the map, then bring me to the team selection screen, then class selection, then when I clicked continue, it would take another 50 seconds to load (meanwhile it's not responding at all) and when I am finally dropped in game I've timed out from the server so I'm just floating around on the map. Quite frustrating. I enabled precaching again figuring that maybe this would fix the time out issue: no go. I turned the settings to lowest and disabled precaching, no go as well. Re-enabled precache and settings on lowest, that worked. It works about 99% of the time now.

However, the game is now ugly as hell. My computer can handle running ROOST at Highest @ 800x600 and remain at 30fps 90% of the time. The mod ran perfectly well with the same settings and I never experienced the time out. Since this has been the only issue I have had, and I have 'fixed' it, I was wondering if there was a solution to this?

I play America's Army sometimes. It runs off the Unreal engine as well and it loads everything lightning fast and I have never even heard of a timeout issue there. If they can do it, so can Tripwire. I have faith in their abilities, I just am worrying that these issues may not be a priority for a next patch.

Also, I miss some of the maps from the mod (Warsaw, Moscow Highway, Danzig, Donets and a few others), anyone planning on porting them?

Otherwise, Tripwire has done a bang-up job. I'm glad the release went as smmothly as it did for them. I'm even more excited about how the community has grown and has gained much greater visibility. Great job to everyone involved! Sorry this was mostly negative, I really do love this game and I will 'put up' with my issues because I have so much fun with ROOST.

Oh...and...fix my Tiger! =P

...kidding

From my thread. It basically sums up the whole thing for me. Despite the negative comments, I'm not leaving RO until the community absolutely dies and no one plays. First saw the mod mentioned in PCGamer, looked nice, but I never had UT2k4 until late 2005. I had asked a friend about it, he was negative on his experience. "It's too realistic, it favors snipers." He's of the Enemy Territory type of shooter though (not that ET is bad, I enjoy it) so he wasn't too happy with the realism.

Upvote 0
Kipper said:
From my thread. It basically sums up the whole thing for me. Despite the negative comments, I'm not leaving RO until the community absolutely dies and no one plays. First saw the mod mentioned in PCGamer, looked nice, but I never had UT2k4 until late 2005. I had asked a friend about it, he was negative on his experience. "It's too realistic, it favors snipers." He's of the Enemy Territory type of shooter though (not that ET is bad, I enjoy it) so he wasn't too happy with the realism.

Theres enough of us to keep it alive for sure.

Upvote 0
well, just to compare, i went back to CoDUO for an hour the other night. I was amazed at how fast it felt...and how uncomfortable it was to play that way again. I mean it's fun for a while...but it lacks the 'feel' of RO. Endless spawns and mad jeep runs to the other side of the map....and all I could think about was Basovka.

So...for me it's RO all the way these days. After these few weeks it remains the most fun game I've ever played. That's coming from the MoH series, then CoD series....to this.

Upvote 0
Ashamed

Ashamed

you know, reading the replies here makes me want to give this game more time. This community truly makes this game. No other game i've been involved with has the dedication and goodwill of this community. I know it sounds cheasy but this development team and this board make me want to stick it out. When I get my main rig sorted out (don't ask . . . if you OC you can fill in the blank) I'll see ya on the battlefield.;)

Upvote 0
Private Who? said:
well, just to compare, i went back to CoDUO for an hour the other night. I was amazed at how fast it felt...and how uncomfortable it was to play that way again. I mean it's fun for a while...but it lacks the 'feel' of RO. Endless spawns and mad jeep runs to the other side of the map....and all I could think about was Basovka.

So...for me it's RO all the way these days. After these few weeks it remains the most fun game I've ever played. That's coming from the MoH series, then CoD series....to this.

Yup i first started playing the mod I was playing BF2 as well ( Please dont hurt me) and i just couldnt beleive how **** BF2 was, RO really opened my eyes, now when i look back i reliased i have wasted my money on many FPS's, except this one as it is immense:D

Upvote 0
Newcomer to RO here.

Gamer background: Ghost Recon, Rainbox Six series, BF1942 (DC), Battlefield2, CoD:UO...

Using a MacBook Pro running Bootcamp

I have to say this game is addicting! I enjoy the graphics, the attention to detail, and the tactical strategy.

However, I found in games such as Ghost Recon, you were more cautious primarily because you only had 1 to a handful of 'lives'. In RO, perhpas to simulate the onslaught of war, wave after wave of players throw themselves at each other.

Perhaps if players spawned in unique areas together as squads there would be more cohesiveness... also if these spawn points were spread across a front...

Also, I think if there were just fewer lives for certain classes (perhaps this is a server thing) I think it would add more to realism. You wouldn't just run after the guy who killed you last.

The lethality of RO is great though. This is truly an excellent game... I wish there was some sort of map randomizer though, that way we could play maps that are unique each time (another realism aspect would the unfamiliarity of the terrain).

Also, a better mixture of tanks would be good, more T34s and Panzer IVs...

oh and add the odd flamethrower or two....

one more gripe... you should be able to blow doors open with nades and shoot through thinner ones...

Upvote 0