• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-HubeBreakout_B2

ViViD

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
Can download the file from here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6hvndyonzmz

Ok, I putting this out maybe a tad earlier then I hoped, but I am hoping it fixes the trench issues for some.

I found some issues with the church and perhaps there was a hole in the house next to the trenches but I have portalled this off.

ChangeLog:

Loadouts -
Added a PIII to the german side
Added a T-60 to the front spawn
Added a T-34/76 to the middle and rear spawns
Added an extra HT at the middle german spawns
Added an extra carrier at the rear spawn
Increased the Russian tanker to 4
Increased the german tankers by one to (5)
Increased allied artillery to 8

Visuals -
Changed the fog colour to blend in with the background
Made the overall feel darker
Brought the rain density down for optimisation
Brought the visual fog distance to 17500 not 20000 for optimisation
Thinned out the grass and brush for optimisation
Deleted various grass deco spots due to floating grass issue (more exist will get to them all eventually)
Brought down a lot of the cull distances to minimum levels
Changed direction of the Farmhouse
Edited the church to use less brushes.

Optimisation -

Was able to gain an extra 3-4 frames on my pc, I hoping this translate to other people a lot more. The issue is not consistant with all machines, I am running out of optimising ideas hoping this fixes peoples issues.

Bugs:
Fixed two areas in the sandbags where people would get stuck
Enlarged mined areas so spawn cover is a lot more enhanced
Mined objectives that are not ready to be captured to stop people already camping in those positions waiting for a cap to take place.

Sometimes....

Sometimes....

Sometimes no news is good news Vivid......lol. I haven't had alot of extra time lately, but I have popped my head in occasionally to find a server running b2. No luck yet. I guess I keep missing them. Look forward to playing, keep hearing good things. I still see b1 pop up a number of times though. Hopefully servers will update the map soon. I did hear the rumor there will be a server running b2 all this weekend. Maybe see you there?

Reservoir Dog

Upvote 0
Vivid -> could you set limited numbers of tank? It would be more realistic. Something like on map Leningrad, you'll get new tanks only if you capture next flag. On map HubeBreakout it would function great beacuse there are a lot of flags and are situated singly. And than players would be more carefully, not like now if someone get killed, he'll take another tank...

And why everybody recently are making bad weathers? For example BlackDayJuly, first it had fair weather but later changed on stormy weather. The same as Valley Of Death and many other maps. I know that with weather like this, map is more climate, but all the time the same weather is boring...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And why everybody recently are making bad weathers? For example BlackDayJuly, first it had fair weather but later changed on stormy weather. The same as Valley Of Death and many other maps. I know that with weather like this, map is more climate, but all the time the same weather is boring...

I can only speak for the Valley of Death map as that is the only map I have researched. Reservoir Dog's maps weather is historically accurate for this battle! If you read the history in RD's map intro you will see where the weather was horrendous in this region in the fall of 44' and had slowed the Russian advance almost to a standstill. Just prior to the start of this two day engagement the weather finally "broke" but it was still overcast and gray with ponding water on the battlefield, which Reservoir Dog has taken great lengths to replicate. The Valley of the Death map does not take place in the rain, but in a period immediately following sever storms and fog, which the mapper has chosen to recreate for better player immersion imo. Sorry Keystone if you prefer sunny skies and dry weather conditions or snow and ice. But this is the way it was for this battle and and I applaud Reservoir Dog and all other mappers for paying extra attention to the little historical details (like accurate weather) on their maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keystone: I will start with weather, my maps are historical based the weather at the time was very poor, I wish there was a way to simulate mud. At this point intime when they did the breakout it was heavily raining and great pools of mud made movement restrictive.

As for others and bad weather maps, I can not be a hundred percent sure but some will be researched and others will be that you are able to create a fog to cut down on the frame rates on very detailed maps. This allows the terrain to be that little extra rough and more detail, unless you segmentise the map like Berzina into quadrants of ridgelines, if your making historical landscapes then you might find it hard to do this.

Also this is the first bad weather map I made, I try not to choose my maps on the weather, I choose my maps on the historical value and it normally take me a month in advance in researching a battle. Before I put pen to paper.

Currently I am researching another historical battle Margit Island in Budapest, but the 3rd guys are already working on another map, this one I am just overseeing I don't think its a historical one I think it one where it been converted from a old board game that one of the mappers use to love, it be interesting it looks like another berezina style from what i can see.

Limiting tanks - Over 400 tanks particpated in the breakout on the german side x that by 3 and you have the allied tanks in that sector. Although I would like to start limiting tanks it would then not be historically correct of this panzer army punching a hole, where one tank is lost another one behind is taking it place.

This is more about a race against time then it is about troop losses

Mike: Let it go

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bad weather

Bad weather

Bad weather can and often is generated in many ways on different maps. The same bad weather is very general. There are different levels and color to the fog. Some maps it is raining and some not. Some are overcast and some have storm clouds. Some you can hear the wind and some you hear raining. Some there are thunder and lightning. Each map seems to have alot of different weather condictions going on to make them unique. On Valley there are animated rolling clouds, with a break of sun on the horizon and a light blue overcast over everything. Each map does have different kinds of "bad weather" but I can see them from a mapper's point of view. The often used statement that "the Russians didn't beat the Germans, the weather did" is pretty significant to what kind of weather condictions were going on during alot of these battles.

As Vivid pointed out, sometimes the weather is very significant to the history involved with the battle. Sometimes its just the mapper's idea of what looks good. With Valley and Hubes maps, they are significant to a real battle and real fighting condictions as Vivid and One Shot stated. Its not that we are just doom and gloom kinda guys...lol.

Upvote 0
Yes I like poor weathers too. But what I mean is that recently all tank maps have poor weathers. And with poor weather range of visibility is vastly reduced. But I like tank battles on long distances, besides a lot of players like, that's why Orel is the most popular tank map. So Vivid could you next time make some tank map like Orel beaucse right now we got only 2 good,big tank maps - Black Day July and Orel. Would be nice to play some new big tank map with good weather and maybe this time not with superiority axis when always axis have 2 tigers or 2 panthers against tanks with 76mm but for example 2-3 IS2, a lot of T34/85 and in axis only stugs, PZIVH and PZIII, without Tigers and Panthers, beacuse in some regions it happens where germans don't had these tanks and they were in trouble. It isn't made yet some big tank map from 1944-1945 so if someone could make, it would be good if axis were in defence (like allies in Black Day July) beacuse of soviet offensive in 1944-1945. And this would be balanced beacuse axis would have poor tanks but in defence with many hides they would have more chances to win. And thats would be great with Armored Beasts beacuse right now with mod AB Tigers are far better against for example T34/76 than in Vanillia RO and to opposite this should be map without Tigers and Panthers against IS2 to put this time axis in trouble, not allies. And axis would have to endeavour to take by surprise enemys from hides.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you have a historical battle in mind, if so send it forward, I tend not to make battle myself without a historical nature to it.

You often find in the battles in 1944-45 the axis were practically out of tanks anyway so you had the is2 popping up in June 1944, really having no great battles as mos tthe axis tank forces were depleted. But if you have one where a IS2 force attacks a german tank forces which decide to hold instead of run please sent it forward and I will research it.

Although the fictional map the guys are working on might work well in this instance I will suggest it to them.

Upvote 0
yeah sander, please do send it forward we got a few up our sleeves but we will do the one we have the most info on as it will be close to historical as possible

Mike: The reflections in the stream is the ones from Hedgehog, this is a placeholder until I do a Cube map myself.

There is no such relflection ability in UT 2.5 it is actually a trick of materials that I know of, not true reflections, eventually I will make it just tree reflections with no buildings to suit the map.

I think UT 3.0 comes with true reflections, so who knows in future

So once the house steeple is gone I guess you will have to put up with trees that are not in the right spot or the fact that a rock is not reflected when it should.

Or I can make it plain old water without relfections which is much easier to do, and I have noone complaining that relfections are in the wrong spot?

Upvote 0
Do you have a historical battle in mind, if so send it forward, I tend not to make battle myself without a historical nature to it.

You often find in the battles in 1944-45 the axis were practically out of tanks anyway so you had the is2 popping up in June 1944, really having no great battles as mos tthe axis tank forces were depleted. But if you have one where a IS2 force attacks a german tank forces which decide to hold instead of run please sent it forward and I will research it.

Although the fictional map the guys are working on might work well in this instance I will suggest it to them.

ViViD;
Have you ever considered doing a map of the Battle of Kharkov in early August, 1943? I know this is not of the time frame from the post, but as you said the epic tank battles were few and far between at this point on the Russian Front. This battle took place at the end of operation Citadel (Orel-Kursk-Belgorod) and was the only shall we say high point for Germany during this Great Tank battle. This would be a momentous armor map or even a huge combined arms map imo. Russian 5th Tank Army vs. 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich" (nearly 100 Panthers, 32 Tigers, 25 heavy SP's, so on and so on.) The battle there during three days was so sever that the Russians lost 420 tanks, which according to German Intelligence, the Russian 5th Tank Army losses were so bad that this unit "ceased to be a combat factor for the foreseeable future!" Kharkov remained in German hands until their high command ordered the troops their to retire.
Been working with Reservoir Dog doing research for his "Valley of Death" map but believe he wants to take a break from mapping and do some work on mutators and helping out the Guys at Darkest Hour mod. I have a tremendous amount of research, just looking for a mapper. :p LOL!!! No, seriuosly be glad to give all the info I have to anyone wishing to do a project based on this battle! I think it could be cool.:cool: By the way I am a HUGE fan of Muddy Tigers, very nice work guy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0