• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Gorlitz Beta 2

First of all: Great work! This definitely is one of the most promising maps ever. It looks great, has quite a good design, the background is beutiful, and most of all the atmosphere is just awesome. I like this very much!

I have played this only a couple of times now, but few things popped into my mind.
First time I played was with 10-20 players reinforced with bots: I played the first round with germans and had a good time, russians capped couple of first cp

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I apprieciate the need for balance. I dont think you need the dreaded white cloud to break every "stalemate" though.

In this instance the tank firing HE shells whilst being supported by and having advancing infantry would have the same effect.

IMHO I think its refreshing having a mapper that doesnt use the default "stalemate" buster and get players to use other means of taking an objective.
One does not come on the expance of the other- this map is cleverly built so there are always two ways of approaching an objective.
Well coordinated team will allocate one road for the tank and the other for the SL.

Smoking is good for you, dont put it down.

And btw, this map is on its way to be a classic, thumbs up from the smokerma...eh..sry...Jokerman :D

Upvote 0
Okay, I hope to have beta 3 out by this evening or tomorrow by the latest. The art changes will not be in this version, rather this will focus on map gameplay and performance, both of which should be improved a great deal over the previous beta, and then improve again one I can get the new art in.

With the performance, I've been running through the map with statrender trying to figure out why things are sluggish, and since there is nothing that leaps out as a real problem area, I think the antiportals are partly to blame. I'm going to try doing some things with the cull distances to hopefully help with this problem.

Upvote 0
The Germans really need a tank when they are pushed back to the first bridgehead. By then the Russians will have 2 tanks flinging HE rounds everywhere and the Panzerfaust is out of range or you just can't stand up to fire off a shot. A StuG with 1 tank crewman armed with an MP40 would be sufficient.

I think the difficulty advancing and the size of the map is such an advange for the Germans, they should not have a tank.

Upvote 0
I just had 2 full hours playing Gorlitz (my poor eyes). The Russians really had a rough time. The Universal carriers were destroyed before they could even reach a object (thanks to the fast respawn of the panzerfausts), and the infantry were killed very fast. The only one who could punch the Germans down was the Russian tankers (with a score over 350!). The main fault is the Panzerfaust which respawns too fast.

But overall I really liked it, these "epic" scale maps (others are Berezina, Tractorworks and maybe Parizerplats too) are really cool, they last for 45min and I really like this (a battle of 15 min....?).

I say no to a StuG for the germans.

Upvote 0
Excellent Map

Excellent Map

Excellent Map. Played Beta 3 last night. Some good fights. Soviets need a smart tread-head, but if they get one, the Germans have a tough time holding them at the bridge.

I'd like to see some smoke grenades and some hand grenades out there. Grenades are de rigeur in urban fighting. Clearing people out of sandbag implacements or out from between Dragon's Teeth or pillars is facilitated by grenades. And the Smoke gives the Reds a better chance to cross that critical first bridge.

I don't know if the Russians have a Marksman, but having one might help them remove pesky Germans around that bridge.

One general building comment: I kept wanting to set up for a bushwhack on a T-34 and found that it was hard to find niches that weren't fairly visible to nearby passing infantry. If you were to engineer in a few more niches that one could get into and have reasonable concealment from the passing infantry, maybe facilitated by more clutter/debris or internal furnishings in various ruined or damaged buildings you can access, then you'd have a better chance of managing that sort of tactic.

I also liked the suggestion of giving the Russians another vehicle, though I'd be tempted to give them a little armoured car with MGs or something instead of the SU-76 which would be of limited use. Still, either would be a boon to the Reds.

And if you aren't going to issue the German Assaulters with Grenades, at least give them a P-38 or something. Not having a secondary weapon is kind of annoying. :0)

Anyway, congratulations on the best map I've seen in a long, long time. At least I can stop playing Arad... (wince)

Upvote 0