• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RIP Stiletto

I saw this thread a while ago but decided to post now. I have no sympathy for people who commit suicide, however I do their families and friends. If you think the afterlife is better than your current life, then do what you have to do I guess. Before you think about suicide, think about what it will do and how it will forever affect your family and friends. Also think about what you're leaving behind, which in their minds is nothing...which is wrong.

The world can be cold, but that's how it HAS been and that's how it WILL be. Suicide to me is like giving up or taking the easy way out, I'm not for that.

Now I could see suicide as an option if you've been diagnosed with cancer and you were told you have two weeks to live and are living in terrible pain.

It is niether the time nor the place for a thoughtless post like that.

I'm disgusted.

Upvote 0
Someone quoted a post he made elsewhere, which is sadly revealing: http://www.comrades-in-arms.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=10215&highlight=#10215

"I 'm probably a bit of an SAD victim. Starting in sixth grade (thereabouts), I've gone through a major downswing sometime around February to April, with me usually stuck in the cycle of trying to justify staying alive as opposed to ending things. I'm pretty sensitive to weather."

I don't know if anyone noticed this, but SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder, a serious depressive mood disorder.

Sad post (Stiletto's in that CiA thread). He was pretty right though... people generally don't appreciate (or even notice) the good in a person. Damn, I think he could have been helped. Someone should have just sat down with him and ask what he had to say. I would have if I had known him. Just proves how important communication is. Call up that friend you haven't seen in years, or something.

"You kill yourself and you make a big old sacrifice and try to get your revenge. That all you're gonna end up with is a paragraph in a newspaper. In the end, it does nothing. Nothing changes. The world goes on and you're gone. The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself." - Eddie Vedder

Does anyone know when he was last seen ingame, by the way? Or on CiA's TS or something?

Upvote 0
Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for your kind words. And thank you for being friends with Frank. We apologize for not replying sooner. The funeral was yesterday and we're all still reeling from the shock of it all. There was a huge turnout for the services, which I know Frank appreciated, as well as the thoughts of all his friends on the many forums he frequented. The support we've gotten from everyone has been a great help.

The family had decided to set up a fund for donations, in lieu of flowers and gifts. If anyone would like to contribute, the information is below. We will be discussing further with his college at a later date the best allocation for these funds, in Frank's memory. Thank you again for your condolences.

Memorials can be sent to:
The NC State Foundation
Frank Chen Fund
North Carolina State University
Campus Box 7501
Raleigh, NC 27695-7501
Sincerely,
Amy Chen and family

THIS WAS HER EMAIL RESPONSE TO ME...

Upvote 0
Today, Dr. Peter Venkman and I headed out to the range, doing what Stiletto probably loved doing most. If you're watching, this shout out is for you.
0001-1.jpg

Thats me on the left in the old school BDUs, Venkman on the right in the new ACUs. We've got plenty of other pictures, but Venkmans got him and currently has very limited internet. I'd just like to note how beautiful a day it was after we just went through really crappy rainy weather. I don't know, might've had something to do with it. Stiletto was someone who I played often with on RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I saw these two articles on MSNBC and was intrigued by how true they were:

"Men & Depression: Facing Darkness"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17190411/site/newsweek/
That article is like a rat writing about what causes the plague and not mentioning it could be the fleas. All these drugs for depression are no better than say alcohal IMO, you are taking something to artificially change your mood. That's not a real solution IMO. Trying not to turn Franks thread into a debate thread but smart people know that depression is often a symptom of very intelligent people who see the world for what it is and are not fooled into happiness by superficial things that deep down don't mean ****. SO MANY Americans have totally lost track of what REALLY matters in life and it's not your job or how much money you make or how many cool gadgets you have or what kind of car you drive. Do these things make you feel better about yourself? Yes, but they aren't a substitute for a happy or meaningful life.

Upvote 0
That article is like a rat writing about what causes the plague and not mentioning it could be the fleas. All these drugs for depression are no better than say alcohal IMO, you are taking something to artificially change your mood. That's not a real solution IMO.

Thats not true mate, depression is not any one thing, there are degree's of depression and different kinds and causes, and some, like Clinical Depression, has to be treated with drugs.

And i should know, i have suffered from Clinical Depression since i was a kid, i tried just about anything to get well, but in the end, it was just not enough, and i gave up, just after my 18'th birthday i stopped eating, i just could not get myself to eat, just thinking about it made me sick to my stomache, i just wanted to die, and quite by chance, starvation became the weapon i would kill myself with.
I allmost did too, my sister came by for a suprice visit and called for an ambulance when she saw i was too weak to stand, and i was force fed back to health, and then diagnosed with Clinical Depression and put on meds, thouse meds saved my life, i am nolonger that person.

I too am against popping pills, just for the sake of popping pills, but make no mistake, a serious case of depression is not something that goes away by itself, it is not psychological, it is a physical desease, and it has to be treated with meds.

Upvote 0
Thats not true mate, depression is not any one thing, there are degree's of depression and different kinds and causes, and some, like Clinical Depression, has to be treated with drugs.

And i should know, i have suffered from Clinical Depression since i was a kid, i tried just about anything to get well, but in the end, it was just not enough, and i gave up, just after my 18'th birthday i stopped eating, i just could not get myself to eat, just thinking about it made me sick to my stomache, i just wanted to die, and quite by chance, starvation became the weapon i would kill myself with.
I allmost did too, my sister came by for a suprice visit and called for an ambulance when she saw i was too weak to stand, and i was force fed back to health, and then diagnosed with Clinical Depression and put on meds, thouse meds saved my life, i am nolonger that person.

I too am against popping pills, just for the sake of popping pills, but make no mistake, a serious case of depression is not something that goes away by itself, it is not psychological, it is a physical desease, and it has to be treated with meds.
Do what it takes to get better but I believe physical and mental are one in the same and you can use one or the other to affect either. Do you exercise? (I'm talking about serious long hikes or other physically exhausting yet stimulating activities). Because that is one of the primary natural things to make you feel better in every way. Lack of exercise is IMO one of the primary contributers to depression. Another IMO is eating crap for food. Many people today still fail to see the connection between food and exercise to your health (both mental & physical). I could rant about how I feel about "The medical establishment" but I won't. Suffice it to say it's only respect & value to me is for Emergency services only. But for chronic ongoing (not immediately life threatening) problems I believe in mans ability to help himself naturally just as we've done in the long forgotten ways of the past.

*Disclaimer*
I'm not a Doctor and all my statements are my opinion only.

Upvote 0
Do what it takes to get better but I believe physical and mental are one in the same and you can use one or the other to affect either. Do you exercise? (I'm talking about serious long hikes or other physically exhausting yet stimulating activities). Because that is one of the primary natural things to make you feel better in every way. Lack of exercise is IMO one of the primary contributers to depression. Another IMO is eating crap for food. Many people today still fail to see the connection between food and exercise to your health (both mental & physical). I could rant about how I feel about "The medical establishment" but I won't. Suffice it to say it's only respect & value to me is for Emergency services only. But for chronic ongoing (not immediately life threatening) problems I believe in mans ability to help himself naturally just as we've done in the long forgotten ways of the past.

*Disclaimer*
I'm not a Doctor and all my statements are my opinion only.

Nothing wrong with that, and indeed i do agree on all fronts, but not everything can be cured by living a healthy life, we all know that.

But sadly, far too many down-play just how dangerous Depression can be, and that is a pet peeve of mine, because i know first hand that it is a life threatning desease if it is allowed to take control of you for too long.
And whats worse, it changes you, it changes the way you think and act, and it prevents you from really thinking things through, your attention span dwindles to nothing, you cant concentrate on anything, you loose intrest in everything, and you start to have strange thoughts.. at first you know they are strange, but all of a sudden they not only seem normal, they make perfect sense to you! and you dont trust anyone, you dont want to talk to anyone, you fear what they might do or say if they where to know how you feel, so you hide it, you act like nothing is wrong, so even the people clousest to you may never know you are sick.

Once you are in that dark place, you cant help yourself, you dont even want to, hell, you cant even see there is anything wrong with you anymore.

That is why Depression kills, its not because it makes you sad, it breaks down your very survival instincts before it strikes, and breaks down your abillity to see what is happening, and then it is too late, you can nolonger help yourself, and since you have become so good at hiding it, others may not know that you need help.

It is very serious stuff, and it is vital that it be given the respect it deserves, Depression is as deadly as cancer if it goes untreated.

Upvote 0