• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Riot/Ballistic shield for Swat

Back on the old Ideas and Suggestions section there was a topic about adding shields for the Swat perk. I felt this was a really great idea for the game so I'm bringing it back with my own interpretation on how to make it work. Credit goes to the people who made the original suggestion.

Why add shields?
Swat teams in real life usually use shields while heading into hostile situations, so it'll fit thematically. Shields combined with Swat's armor skills help make it another front line "tank" option for the team that is a little different than a Berserker tank and helps give the perk more options. The ballistic shield would help to guard the team against more ranged attacks like those from the E.D.A.R enemies and works with the perk's passive bullet resistance.

How the shields would work
  • The riot/ballistic shields would be add-ons to a new machine pistol swat weapon(and some other guns) and also the perk knife.
  • When wielding the proper weapon, the shield will be in the left hand and would replace the knife's block, parry and bash with it's own.
  • When used with a gun, blocking would be done with "iron sights" instead of alt fire and will have the ability to parry on startup.
  • You can shot while blocking, but not during a parry or when reloading.
  • Shields can be bought, sold and dropped on the ground by themselves.
  • There would be 2 types of shields, but you can only carry 1 at a time and neither can be upgraded.
  • Swat's Tactical movement skill removes movement penalty while blocking with shields.
  • The ZED Time - Battering Ram skill is more powerful while running into zeds with a shield up.
  • Dying while equipped with shield + perk knife will drop the shield only.
  • Shield + Perk Knife count as a Swat/Berserker weapon and benefits from Close Combat Training, but not from the Commando's Fallback.
  • Upgrading a Weapon+Shield combo upgrades the damage of the weapon only. Even when paired with a melee weapon.
Weapon info

Glock 18: This is the main gun you use with the shield(s). It has an extended 33-round magazine and maybe a light weight shoulder stock(to help one-hand it). Alt-fire toggles between full-auto and semi-auto modes. Has 20 base damage, so it's between the MP7 SMG and MP5RAS SMG damage-wise. It's a 2 block weight Tier-2 weapon that cost 350 dosh by itself. The Glock 18 multi-perks with Gunslinger on it's own, but counts as a Swat perk only weapon when paired with a shield. Dying while equipped with Glock 18 + shield drops both as separate weapons.

Riot Shield: A transparent police riot shield that only blocks bludgeon and slashing attacks. Has 40% damage reduction on blocking/parrying and 2 parry strength. The bash attack has decent speed and does modest bludgeon damage. It's a 2-3 block weight Tier-2 weapon that cost 350 dosh by itself.

Ballistic Shield: A solid swat shield with a clear armored view port, so it has less visibility than the riot shield while blocking. It can block all melee and ranged damage types except for some things like bloat bile. Has 70% damage reduction on blocking/parrying and 5 parry strength. The bash attack is slower than the Riot shield's, but does much greater bludgeon damage. It's a 4 block weight Tier-4 weapon that cost 850 dosh by itself.

HMTech-201 SMG+Shield: Another gun to use with the shields. Still a Medic/Swat multi-perk weapon, so the Field Medic skills work while having the shield add-on. Can still use the healing dart alt-fire while blocking. Loses ability to see the gun's HUD and "aiming dot" will using iron sights/blocking.

New additions start

Mac10+Shield: Still a Firebug/Swat multi-perk weapon, so Firebug skills work with it. The stock would be extended to help one hand it(same thing will happen with the MP5 SMG's stock).

Other Swat weapons to pair with the shields would be MP5 SMG, MP5RAS SMG, Tommy Gun and maybe the P90 SMG. The other Swat guns appear too unruly to wield one-handed.

Crovel Survival Tool+Shield: Berserker only weapon. A "sword and board" combo that does slashing and bludgeoning damage. Same attack movepool as the Bone Crusher thats available early, but is weaker of course. When paired with a Riot shield it uses the Crovel's parry strength since it's greater.

Road Redeemer+Shield: Berserker only weapon. Another combo that uses the Bone Crusher's movepool and is bludgeon damage only. Use's the Redeemer's parry strength and damage reduction when used with a riot shield. When paired with a Basllistic Shield it's an heavier alternative to the Bone Crusher that has better range with it's bat attacks(and better damage with upgrades), but weaker damage with bash and shield smacks.

New additions end

9mm Pistol+Shield: Possible gun to use with the shields. A single 9mm Pistol + any shield counts as a Swat only weapon and benefits from the Swat's Close Combat Training skill, but gains no benefits from any Gunslinger, Sharpshooter or Commando skills. Dual 9mm Pistols either overrides 9mm+shield or counts as a separate weapon to select from(both would share the same ammo still)

Conclusion
Thanks for reading all of this. I probably wrote more than I needed to, but I wanted my ideas to come out clear. I'm not trying to "steal" this idea from the original posters, but this was the only way to show my suggestions for their idea now that the original topic is lost. Let me know what you like about my suggestions or how you would change or add to it.

Last edited:
I dunno if what you're asking for is even possible. With the way weapons are implemented in KF2, i feel like the most realistic scenario for a riot shield is to have it be tied to a specific gun like the Glock-18. I'm thinking this would be how such a gun would function:

Glock-18
Tier 3 weapon, costs $800 and can only fire at full-auto. SWAT/Gunslinger cross-perk

Glock-18 with Riot Shield
Tier 3 weapon, costs $1200 ($400 if you already have the Glock) and only fires at full-auto.

Middle mouse button to block/parry.

SWAT/Berserker cross-perk

attempting to drop the riot shield drops both the Glock 18 AND the riot shield. You can sell the Riot Shield separately, however. (Meaning if you want to sell the Glock-18, you need to double-tap the sell button)

Upvote 0
I knew that the best way to implement it would be to bind the Glock18 and shield as 1 weapon, but I wanted Swat access to a shield early so I made 2 tiers of them and had the player use it with their knife, so they could use it if they only have a shield.

It doesn't seem too hard to implement. If you own the shield it appears with all the weapons it's compatible with and the game would consider both shields different upgrade of the same weapon so you can only have 1 at a time.

I would be happy if your version was the one implemented, since that is pretty much what the original topic suggested in the first place. The only thing I really disagree with is it counting it as a Berserker weapon. The Berserker's skills already apply to any gun's bash attack, so there is no reason to multi-perk with it and give them access to a SMG.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What you could do is have it assigned to one specific new weapon that can work normally and use the alt fire button to pull out the shield and this would prevent you from aiming down sights but allow you to bash and block bullets or projectiles just by looking in their direction. And perhaps when you don't have the shield out, it's on your back and will block shots at your back while you use the gun like normal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
flashn00b;n2329710 said:
I dunno if what you're asking for is even possible. With the way weapons are implemented in KF2, i feel like the most realistic scenario for a riot shield is to have it be tied to a specific gun like the Glock-18.

Not necessarily. I've suggested this before and I'll suggest it again since people have seemed to like it.
Allow the riot shield to be used with any SWAT SMG as a secondary upgrade system. Balance it by having it weigh 4 or 5 blocks.
Parry/block would be alt-fire (as it is with mellee weapons) with every SMG firing in full auto only (semi-auto/burst disabled).

This way it gives players a lot of options to choose from, but mainly whether they want more damage or survivability.
For example, you could choose between either:
1. An upgraded Kriss with a fully upgraded UMP/P90 and a med pistol.
or
2. A Kriss + riot shield (10 or 11 blocks) and an UMP/P90 or MP5 as a secondary. If it's 4 blocks, you could go with an upgraded Kriss + riot shield with a P90/UMP or an MP5 and med pistol.

If a riot shield is introduced, I'd love to see it open up possibilities, not be limited to one specific weapon.
It'd also be great if it could be used with some Berserker weapons too (someone at one point suggested adding a spear in the game. So you could have a riot shield + spear).
Why limit it to a just one new gun?

Upvote 0
I'm still gonna maintain that having block bound to iron sights is the optimal solution since it allows you to use the HMTech-201's darts and change fire modes. Swat teams in real life fire while having their shields up and many Ballistic shields have notches on them to prop the gun barrel on so you can fire it. The only real disadvantage with it is that you lose out on using the weapon's scopes and iron sight and you only have the same "cursor" in the middle of the screen as you have while hip-firing. But its good that you guys have come up with different ideas for how to do the blocking part.

My version of the Swat shield idea always intended to use it with other weapons than the Glock18, so I reworded some parts of the main post to make this more clear. I also listed the other weapons I believe would work with the shields and a couple of them are Berserker only.

Upvote 0