• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Rifle grenades..yes.rifle grenades

theta123

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
While RO2 was difficult to include with riflegrenades, as only the germans used them, Rifle grenades should be perfectly possible with RS

Why? because both sides used them extensivly.

Rifle grenades could be included as a very limited class (AND I MEAN LIMITED as in 2 kits per 32 players!). For the moment, there duty can be infantry support, while later on, when tanks are added, they can act as the anti-tank class.

Both factions had extensive arsenals=

M1903 Springfield with M1 grenade launcher(Primary in 1941-1943, also used after)
M1 garand with M7 grenade launcher(1943-1945)
Also avaible was a rifle grenade attachment for launching frag grenades

These 22mm rifle grenades came in anti-armour, fragmentation and smoke. A secondary job of the grenadier could be to provide smoke cover...something lacking alot on assault maps

WWII-rifle-grenade2.JPG

The japanese in term utilized the type 100 and type 2 rifle grenades. Japanese rifle grenades were bigger but had less range and accuracy

the Type 100 was used to launch type 99 grenades. These are simular to the type 97 hand grenade

The type 2 on the other hand, had a 30mm fragmentation rifle grenade and a 40mm anti-armour grenade.
type-2-rifle-grenade-launcher.jpg

All of the above rifles used wooden bullets or special blanks for propellant. This means that these troops carried less regular ammo.

hehe, everyone and their dog had rifle grenades including all nationalities in RO2/RS.

Launchers were produced in the millions during wwii.

They are not really that different from the 89 mortar in regards to how you might imagine the trajectory.

I see two barriers stalling introduction:

1. A business plan issue that has perpetuated the perception that content should generally be provided by TWI for free. Which is a hopeless basis from which to expect much in the terms of new weapons.

2. Weapon class issues. If TWI adds more specialized weapons, then it cannot come out of the bolt action / semi action pool. Something else has to give up class slots.

There are technical things like munition variants that could cause trouble - ideally resolved by unlocks and limiting soldiers to 1 type per respawn (respawning with a different ammotype after choosing it) instead of giving players a chocolate box of available round types (which actually makes no sense. A carryover from variable ammunition for larger guns I suspect).

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind rifle grenades in a very limited fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if allied players took exception to Japan getting them though, seeing as there is abit of QQ already over Light mortars getting spammed etc. Probably fixable like most issues if the server imposed more limits on classes but... meh. You know what i mean im sure.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind rifle grenades in a very limited fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if allied players took exception to Japan getting them though, seeing as there is abit of QQ already over Light mortars getting spammed etc. Probably fixable like most issues if the server imposed more limits on classes but... meh. You know what i mean im sure.

Trust me, flamethrowers are more annoying than light mortars lol

Upvote 0
2. Weapon class issues. If TWI adds more specialized weapons, then it cannot come out of the bolt action / semi action pool. Something else has to give up class slots.

Simple: Japanese have too many smgs as of now, simply replace 1 or 2 assaults with an elite rifleman class.

For Germans and Soviets, elite rifleman can choose to spawn with a regular semi-auto or a bolt-action rifle with one or two rifle grenades. No net gain in the amount of specialized classes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would love to see rifle grenade mechanics created, however, the mortars, the banzai charge and the maps are the only somewhat believable things in game which balance the japanese. Yes they have more smgs but that's not believable, that should be changed and balanced in another way, but for now I don't think the lack of rifle grenades is a serious deficit in the game. Besides, it would reduce the assymetrical nature of RS which should be emphasized (way less smgs and realistic nerfs of american weaponry for the win). The smgs are only really necessary to balance the unrealism of several american weapons (too many flamethrowers/m1919s, BAR maybe not enough recoil, garand not enough recoil, thompson has unrealistic easy mode sights). The japanese have lots of assets which could be used more to maintain balance, having no type 38 flash, being able to not be affected by red zone of death, having an mg advantage (especially when people start unlocking the telescopic sights), tunnels.

Upvote 0
Simple: Japanese have too many smgs as of now, simply replace 1 or 2 assaults with an elite rifleman class.

For Germans and Soviets, elite rifleman can choose to spawn with a regular semi-auto or a bolt-action rifle with one or two rifle grenades. No net gain in the amount of specialized classes.

I think you are correct in assuming an opportunity cost needs to be invoked (if this weapon, then not that weapon) to keep the game grounded in a wwii environment.

The question is how, and the answer to that relates to TWI sitting down firmly focusing on it being in the storytelling business where proper narratives are very important.

A class revamp of some sort is implicit to that perspective. Grouping platoon weapons and setting rare types up against each other to invoke opportunity cost. Grouping company + assets and grouping those similarly.

Or something like that.

Upvote 0
I should make it clear that the narrative point is simply based on what TWI says it wants to do.

It wants to develop games the Devs want to play themselves. Fair enough.

The question then is why do the devs want to play the games they have developed?

The answer in my mind is:

Because the games have credible narratives within the framework of what they are (KF and RS have that in common).

I am however uncertain if TWI sees its work as storytelling. Or creating an environment (stage) where players (actors) enjoy some degree of unscripted interaction.

Most issues I see now relate to hiccups in the narrative that occur because TWI is doing things more intuitively than actually latching on to what FPS games have in common with novels, plays, or movies: They tell stories that we believe or do not believe.

Upvote 0
Rifle grenades could be included as a very limited class (AND I MEAN LIMITED as in 2 kits per 32 players!). For the moment, there duty can be infantry support, while later on, when tanks are added, they can act as the anti-tank class.
why don't we just limit it as a weapon for future antitank soldiers and squad leaders? in this way, having few squad leaders in general, and a lot of them prefering other weapons, it will be balanced itself without having to be a separate class. i'm suggesting the squad leaders cuz you said that they could have used smoke granades, maybe removing the antitank rounds.

Upvote 0