• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

retroactive censorship?

Beefmaker

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2011
if you are buying from a region which regularly forces cuts on to games for gore, you may get reduced gore when we go to the full release version of the game.

Why is that there?

Wasnt the system that was used in KF1 good enough? If you buy it before it gets cut you get to keep the uncut version.

Who decided to change that?

please tell me that this wont be handled like in RO1, where there is no way around the censorship, once Tripwire finally decides to release a butchered version.

There are a couple of threads here already but this is how Steam works by now. If cuts have to be made to the game those will be applied to all game licenses sold from the Steam store of the corresponding country. There are ways to bypass that though.

there is no need to differentiate by cd keys right now though.

Killing Floor Early Access Keys should just turn into regular RoW versions once EA ends.

IF TWI decides they want to butcher their own game after EA ends they can do whatever they please, as long as they dont mess with the EA keys

Upvote 0
there is no need to differentiate by cd keys right now though.

Killing Floor Early Access Keys should just turn into regular RoW versions once EA ends.

IF TWI decides they want to butcher their own game after EA ends they can do whatever they please, as long as they dont mess with the EA keys

EA turns to Retail when it gets gold. When you buy a license from e.g. the German Steam store and USK/BPJM decide that cuts must be done it will affect all licenses bought from the German Steam store. Accounts on Steam are bound to a particular store region since a couple of days, this will be the result of it.
I bought my copy from the US Steam store which should make my copy lifetime censorship free ;)

Upvote 0
When you buy a license from e.g. the German Steam store and USK/BPJM decide that cuts must be done it will affect all licenses bought from the German Steam store.

thats not how it works dude.

the USK/BPJM decides nothing at all.

In fact if TWI can straight up ignore them 100% and never submit the game for a rating as long as they are selling KF2 digitally.

(exactly like they did with KF1 up to the point where they wanted to release a retail version)

Can someone from TWI please comment on the issue as to wether retroactive cuts are to be expected?

Upvote 0
I just had a look at steamdb and there are only three relevant sub ids right now: Standard Killing Floor, DDE, and 6 Pack. No DE Packages or whatsoever.

Am I just missing something, or do we all get the same key in EA, regardless where you buy? Can someone (especially TW) confirm this?

If this turns out to be true, that would make me a very happy KF2 player ... :)

Upvote 0
thats not how it works dude.

the USK/BPJM decides nothing at all.

In fact if TWI can straight up ignore them 100% and never submit the game for a rating as long as they are selling KF2 digitally.

(exactly like they did with KF1 up to the point where they wanted to release a retail version)

Can someone from TWI please comment on the issue as to wether retroactive cuts are to be expected?

Yeah if there won't be a boxed version this might be true :)
Let's see how it develops. Just in case I didn't buy it from the German store though.

Upvote 0
Yeah if there won't be a boxed version this might be true :)
Let's see how it develops. Just in case I didn't buy it from the German store though.

yeah but if they decide to use the RO1 system this wont help you one bit.

AFAIK its literally impossible to play RO1 uncut in germany, because of some really stupid decisions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I won't buy the game until the situation on this is 100% clear. I was really looking forward to enjoy EA but I have little to no interest in getting fukked over as soon as EA ends.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232090/discussions/0/618459405713144427/

If I understand the above post by Yoshiro correctly, the game will be converted into the cut version after EA ends (for people in the respective countries), no matter if the game was initially bought in a different country and gifted to them or something simliar.

I really, REALLY hope that I'm wrong. Some further clarification would be highly appreciated.

A simple yes or no to the following question would bring some light into the dark:

Living in Germany and probably future target of a KF2 censoring, if I am gifted the game in EA by someone living in the UK, will it remain uncut when it's out of EA and if the country bans it?

If TWI decides to make it almost impossible for people to get the game gifted or buy it elsewhere then.... -1 customer here. And I really hope that a lot of people won't buy it for the same reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Won't buy it either until this is clear. Will The game be cut depending on IP or am I good when i buy the game abroad? TWI has been awfully silent on this, only muttering that they must follow laws but not communicating how this will happen.

No, TWI can't admit somethin ini change which would be kinda illegal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just bought it and I hope it won't get cut afterwards :(
That is already official!

Kind of ruins my day, too. Was looking forward to EA release but what's the point until this is sorted out? :mad: Usually I'd say a foreign key should be enough or TWI is the kind of dev/publisher who potentially leaves a backdoor for modders but who knows with their change of policies?

Aren't you entitled to a refund if they take a feature of the game you paid for?
Has steam ever handed out a "mass" refund? Especially over something that has been announced pre-release?

PS: The fact that I can legally buy a fully uncut version of Postal 2 on steam with my german ISP & account shows how ridiculous this is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PS: The fact that I can legally buy a fully uncut version of Postal 2 on steam with my german ISP & account shows how ridiculous this is.

Steam quite frankly doesnt care.

There are countless other examples that show that selling uncut,unrated and even INDEXED games can be sold through Steam freely without a consequence and most importantly without a proper age check (which is the only thing that would actually "violate" a german law).

The decision to cut the game lies entirely with Tripwire, at least when it comes to distribution via steam.

Another funny thing:

If the reason for the censorship is the USK/BPJM, then Tripwire should ALSO censor the PCGamer article advertising the game. Thats just as "forbidden" as advertising or selling the game on Steam. Both are easily acessible to german minors without a proper age verification.

Except it isnt, because the restriction has no merit on the internet.
Neither Steam nor PCGamer or Tripwire are tangible in Germany. The only ones who are, are the retail shops who would potray a (theoretical) retail copy of an uncensored KF2 in a displaycase. Which is none of tripwires business and no reason to cut their own game

Last edited:
Upvote 0