• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation, WW2 HL2 mod "most realistic experience possible".

simons said:
Why do they charge for 'mods' aswell, that's really annoying. I don't mind if it's like DoD where it was on the HL1 engine for free, THEN went retail, THEN went source, so people knew what to expect

But The ship was free on HL1, but now it's retail on source without an HL2 demo, oi oi, who'd you think you are.

I'd disagree with myself if they had a Source mod first, or FREE weekend before going on sale, but first release to retail? A bit hit and miss aint it, especially for people who don't **** out a paycheck each week.

I hope some really good mods are free, I don't really want to be paying money for a mod i've never played first before buying. I understand it's damn hard making mods and people expect alot and you have to set Rel dates but What if I buy a mod and it's not what's expected, Thats a case of the odearables!

Guys who want to make some money too so they don't have to eat their leather shoes?

Upvote 0
When a game is sold, like DoD:S it is considered a retail game, not a mod. Just like RO, it started as a mod then received funding or the company decides they are on to something and make it a full standalone game.

In essence, yes, you played the mod for free, and you are buying a game that used to be a mod, but it is much more polished when it goes retail.

It would actually be illegal to sell a mod unless you lived in Russia.

As far as paying for games with a paycheck you are trying to poop. Get a job. If you are too young, you have birthdays and holidays, ask your parents. Games coming out like The Ship, RO, DoD:S are all very reasonably priced. Would you mow every yard in your neighborhood for free? Of course not. How about in you state or country, I bet no.

Pay these programmers their worth.

Upvote 0
Their latest update has some interesting thoughts in there. These even might be usefull for RO:

Here's a list of coding changes and additions:
.New player movement code is almost complete
.Sprinting has changed some, now you have to recoup after sprinting for a long time
.NCO map and spawns are getting worked on. This system Jon has created is very cool, it allows the NCO to click on locations on the map (the one he is holding) that are held by the team for reinforcement waves. This is still in process of getting built, but will be very cool. It will be VERY VERY important to be with your NCO so that you can view the map as well. If you aren't with him you CAN NOT view the playing map.
.Climbing is almost complete.
.There is a random artery bleed out on the body based on location, i.e. the Femoral Artery. This isn

Upvote 0
The mod itself sounds promising, however, I doubt how they can manage large outside spaces with source engine.

I`m sure some CQB areas are going to work well but when we need to go to the countryside, I wonder "what then" ?
The Source engine is limited yes, but the boys of Resistance & Liberation have found a small solution, it's not much bigger, but anything extra is welcome right? :)

However there is a mod which made a huge solution, which is World at War.
They also have an entirely different props emitter system which allows them to put extreme amounts of grass and props in the bigger environment.
All mods which made good solutions to such problem should make their stuff open-sourced.
Their latest update has some interesting thoughts in there. These even might be usefull for RO:
Here's a list of coding changes and additions:
.New player movement code is almost complete
.Sprinting has changed some, now you have to recoup after sprinting for a long time
.NCO map and spawns are getting worked on. This system Jon has created is very cool, it allows the NCO to click on locations on the map (the one he is holding) that are held by the team for reinforcement waves. This is still in process of getting built, but will be very cool. It will be VERY VERY important to be with your NCO so that you can view the map as well. If you aren't with him you CAN NOT view the playing map.
.Climbing is almost complete.
.There is a random artery bleed out on the body based on location, i.e. the Femoral Artery. This isn’t complete, but a start on a very detailed damage system we want to implement.
.The squad system has been started which ties into the NCO's map/reinforcements.
Monk.
Hehe, climbing ftw! :)

Upvote 0
New update out over the R&L homepage, looks good and they are just waiting to finish up some animations before they can release.

214.jpg

215.jpg

212.jpg

Upvote 0
It does indeed look good, but whats this obsession with Normandy?? Dont we have enough of it already?

If you absolutely have to model US army, what about Italy, Ardennes, or even north africa ffs...

Simple really know one has done a half decent realistic WWII Normandy game or mod thats even close to RO in terms of fun and realism. Sure youve got games like CoD and BIA but these games are mild in the realism department when compared to games like Red Orchestra, i for one am glad someone is doing another WWII Normandy game and lets hope that its done right this time.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is and i hope mods like DH and R&L are popular and fun because it looks at last like someone is doing something right with the Normandy campaign at last, just like what you guys did with the Ost-front.

We'll see, I often here the "someone is finally doing it right" mantra quite a bit with each Western Front mod/game.

Upvote 0