• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Removing "Edge marker" in Realism mode

Removing "Edge marker" in Realism mode

• Yes, for both types of realism.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • Yes, for hardcore, leave it in standard.

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • No.

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • I don't care...

Votes: 12 10.2%

• Total voters

Chomiq

Sep 20, 2011
Ok, I've played lots of shooters/realism oriented fps' in my lifetime. Only in two titles I've seen what can be described as "edge marker" - in Arma 2 and in RO2. It's a dot on the edge of your screen that appears once you have enemy outside of your field of view.

This completely unrealistic feature makes you a superman that has super FOV ranging outside the limits set in the game. In Arma 2 this only involves lowest settings of difficulty (recruit) and is understandable for some less "hardcore" gamers wanting to have a lil' help on the line (plus terrain size in much greater than in regular fps, which makes it harder to spot enemy units). In that game the dots have different colors meant to distinct friends and foes.

Now in RO2 dots are gray and appear only to show the position of enemy forces (outside your FOV) and vary in size depending on distance between player and his opponent. I don't understand why this feature was even introduced in the game, since it always aimed to be better than the "arcade" shooters such as BF and MW. With this "feature" you no longer care that much about rushing out in the open and being shoot at from distance since you can actually "see" your opponent firing from outside your FOV and make out the range from which he fires at you. This makes flanking harder and spotting easier. Sure it works both ways, but what's the point of adding this in a "realistic shooter". Now, I would understand if this "feature" was only limited to standard setting, but this game aims to have "hardcore" setting and while it does so by removing some arcade'ish features it leaves this "tiny one" on.

Therefor I'd wish for this setting to be either disabled in "hardcore" mode (by design or by server setting) or completely removed from the game.

Last edited:
I sort of liked this feature at the start. I felt it gave me FOV boost since now the FOV is down to max 75 in game , where in beta , you could pump it up 'till 90. But as the days passed , I statred to feel like a cheater. For example. this thing shows you the enemy even if the tip of his helmet is only showing. On Red October factory, I remember I was playing as a sniper and this little thig on the edge of the screen popped up. I turned and couldn't see what it was pointing at. It took me 10 seconds to actually spot the german that the indicator spotted in 0.1 seconds.

I know where the devs aim with this feature but... It's just a little too hackish.

Reactions: GRIZZLY
Upvote 0
yknow what the funny thing is, I keep hearing people talk about this feature but I never notice it. I wonder if its because I'm colour blind or I have disabled it at one point or another?

( red green colour blind )
It's a white marker with a unique and not-blending-into-the-background shape, so you should be able to see it.

I say remove it entirely. It's hax, and situational awareness is something you should be doing for yourself, and not outsourcing to the game. It's also important to note that if people could fiddle with their FOV in the Options like they could in Beta, then a lot of wind would be taken out of their peripheral vision argument. It would still be true, but not as true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keyser_Söze
Upvote 0
How came I've never encountered such marker? Can it be switched off? If so I must be playing on custom realism servers only (actually only two), but if this feature exists it must be removed. In arma I used those blobs to spot exact positin of enemy, it's just a built-in cheat.

Upvote 0
It's a white marker with a unique and not-blending-into-the-background shape, so you should be able to see it.

I say remove it entirely. It's hax, and situational awareness is something you should be doing for yourself, and not outsourcing to the game. It's also important to note that if people could fiddle with their FOV in the Options like they could in Beta, then a lot of wind would be taken out of their peripheral vision argument. It would still be true, but not as true.

I agree. It should be removed, or at least heavily tweaked. Like not showing enemies through smoke and in bushes, as well as also being activated when it is friendlies. And it seems like it works pretty much in a 360 degree angle, or if not, it should its general range should be greatly decreased.

As it is now it is very close to a cheat. I am also tired of being accused of cheating because it reveals enemies to me that were positioned where they thought themselves to be hidden.

Upvote 0
yknow what the funny thing is, I keep hearing people talk about this feature but I never notice it. I wonder if its because I'm colour blind or I have disabled it at one point or another?

( red green colour blind )
I've only seen them once during beta and haven't seen them since. I'll have to really pay close attention and see if I'm just overlooking them. My system runs the game fine. I have the default setting of "High".

I do see the indicators that show I'm being shot at.

Interesting

Upvote 0
I don't think the peripheral indicators should be removed, but some tweaking is definitely in order.

As has been mentioned, it should activate on movement of friendly as well as enemy soldiers (at one point I thought I was getting it with friendlies, but after paying more attention it turns out I was wrong), it should activate on movement only, and it should absolutely not activate for enemies under full cover such as smoke, thick vegetation, or continuous fencing (bear i nmind that I mean a soldier completely behind cover. If you have line of sight to shoot unobstructed, then it is reasonable to catch his movement in your peripheral). Some of the fences, however, have gaps that allow you to see between slats, activating when someone passes by those is reasonable, in my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree with the 50 meter part. 50m isn't very far at all and noticing movement beyond 50m in your peripheral I don't think is out of the question.

I do like the idea of the false positives, though. As it is I sometimes sit aiming at a window or a corner because I caught a glimpse of movement only to find out it was a random bit of paper blowing in the wind. I see no reason why the peripheral indicator shouldn't simulate this effect as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed that it feels like cheating atm. The following is needed:
- only show markers up to -+50m
- show markers for teammates
- show false positives from time to time (to simulate a random moving object, such as a leaf in the wind, capturing your attention) no thankyou

markers for teammates should not be different from markers from enemy.

Reactions: pepihoh
Upvote 0