• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Recommend a portable game thingie!

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
No really, i fell off that turnip truck back when the newest great thing was the "Gameboy", and i have no idea whats out there thease days, or whats worth looking at..

But i've been hearing talk lately that they are nolonger limited to crude sidescrollers and platformers, so that has sparked my intrest a bit, so, what can you lads tell me?

Im not about to hack the poor thing, i'm just interested in something (that's not a book) that i can play games on when im recovering from surgery, and general time wasting when times of boring waiting are on the horizon and i dont have a PC handy.

It doesen't have to play every game ever released in Japan or anything, just a fun time waster that has some good games ;)

Upvote 0
I'd advise a PSP.

At first I thought the DS might be nice, yet imo most games suck if you are older than 14. Metroid was a nice game though.
And about "hacking" the PSP, depending on what firmware version you'd have you can play games like Quake 1, all ScummVM games, DOOM, Hexen ... without hacking but using a bug. ;)

There are some nice games on the PSP and the graphics look really good. Also not having to use that small "pencil" may prove useable.
And no, my information is not based on my handhelds, I have none, but on my little brothers'. ;) If I'm at home I could name some funny games. GTA is nice eg.
Btw. are you a doctor?

Upvote 0
I'd advise a PSP.

At first I thought the DS might be nice, yet imo most games suck if you are older than 14. Metroid was a nice game though.
And about "hacking" the PSP, depending on what firmware version you'd have you can play games like Quake 1, all ScummVM games, DOOM, Hexen ... without hacking but using a bug. ;)

There are some nice games on the PSP and the graphics look really good. Also not having to use that small "pencil" may prove useable.
And no, my information is not based on my handhelds, I have none, but on my little brothers'. ;) If I'm at home I could name some funny games. GTA is nice eg.

Yeah i figured the DS might be very kiddie oriented, and i've been trying to dig up info on the PSP (you woulden't happen to know what the difference is between the "base pack" and thouse light 'n Slim ones would you? or what i should look for when it comes the firmware and all that?), thus far it seems the only real contender.

Btw. are you a doctor?

Yes, yes i am, but its the evil comic book kind, not the medical sort.. ;)

Nah, i have to have a boil removed surgically, so im looking at several days of recovering from surgery soon (its on the inside, so they have to gut me like a fish to get to it), and i hope to spend some of that time playing vid-games instead of staring blankly at the cieling!
But as a plus, beeing souped up on painkillers will make anything i play seem like the greatest thing ever! :D

Upvote 0
Get a DS for its sheer awesomeness. Nintendo games are ace, and the multiplayer is easy and free. PSP is an over priced , small screened, poor controlled ps2. I'm an old Nintendo fanboi btw if you hadn't guessed ;)
But to be honest the PSP looks great, lots of cool looking games out for it.

Upvote 0
If you are afraid that DS is too kiddie, you are probably waaaaay to mature to get one.

If you care about a great varied games library with good gameplay (even if they tend to be a bit colourful) you should get a DS. The touchscreen and stylus makes a difference for the games/programs that use it. Also you have access to the entire GBA games library since there is a slot for those cartriges also.

Upvote 0
Get a DS for its sheer awesomeness. Nintendo games are ace, and the multiplayer is easy and free. PSP is an over priced , small screened, poor controlled ps2. I'm an old Nintendo fanboi btw if you hadn't guessed ;)
But to be honest the PSP looks great, lots of cool looking games out for it.
What good is a DS, when you can play a DS game modified to run on homebrew apps and work with the classic gamepads (D-pad >> touchscreen) instead of the touch screen! :D

And small screened? Well, maybe when you add both DS screens it's 1/8th bigger but the resolution is well beyond that of a DS.
On top of that the DS just sounds horrible.

The controls on the PSP suck though, if you are used to a Playstation/Xbox.

Oh btw, why get Brothers in Arms DS when it's much more fun on your cell phone! :eek:

Almost forgot! If you do get a PSP, get Loco Roco! :D

Upvote 0
I just knew this would be a minefield of fanboyism..

Ohh well, i have joined the dark side, and my pocket gaming brick will be the PSP, i allready ordered one, but not supricingly, since we are nearing december and its from Sony, i was told "yeah sure... ohh wait, nope, demands too high and your too late!" at the place i tried to buy one, so i'll have to hunt one down somewhere, hopefully before i get called in for surgery.

So, lets talk games! i allready set my sights on 3 of them, Collin McRae Rally 05 (i had the 04 on PC and loved it, so it makes sense), Test Drive Unlimited, looks kick arse quite frankly, and Wipeout Pure.
All are racing titles, as its a genre i enjoy and know has allways worked well on console thingies, but im set in the racing genre with thouse and need some more variety, anything else i absolutely should look into?

Upvote 0
but im set in the racing genre with thouse and need some more variety, anything else i absolutely should look into?
Sony promised us that Gran Turismo 4 Mobile will be available after New Year.

It's a more realistic simulation (and it's not super realistic, but IMO it does fit between GTR, GT Legends, RACE, rFactor, etc) but it's also good fun for arcade racers.

I'm actually waiting for that game before I will buy the Slim & Lite.

Also Loco Roco is good fun, as is Killzone: Liberation.
And Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.

Upvote 0
Collin McRae Rally 05 (i had the 04 on PC and loved it, so it makes sense)
Stay away from "Colin McRae 2005" if you want your racing games to be realistic. I have it on the xbox and their friction system is a joke. A rather good one at that because you can laugh about it more often than once.
I like Rallye games more than other genres of racing games so don't blame it on me being a newbie in rallye-racing when I say the vehicles feel more like hovercrafts than actual cars. I haven't played 04 so I don't know if its very different there, but 05 is a game to avoid if you have the choice.

If there are other psp-owners around where you are recovering you should make sure you have at least one copy of "Bomberman" in the room. Its boring if you are alone but hella fun if you play it with others.

Upvote 0