• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic environment/weather effects

I like the idea of having stamina depended on the environment, but the falling... I suppose it could seem like a good idea on paper, but is it really that fun for the computer to decide whether you just died or not? You have no control over that sort of thing, apart from walking everywhere, but that's really not an option in a game as big as RO - even jogging would, on some maps, make it take over three minutes to get to a combat area. And I don't know about you, but making my way very slowly to a combat area, only to have a pretty high choice of being shot by a sniper or MG when I finally get there isn't my idea of fun. It's like the gun jamming thing - would it be enjoyable to be just about to kill an enemy but your gun suddenly jams, and the enemy turns around and kills you?

The thing is, this is a game. You CAN NOT make games realistic unless virtual reality is created. In real life, you have a lot more flexibility of movement. In RO, you only have four stances - standing, crouching, crouching a bit higher and prone. In real life, you have... well, you have a lot more ways of positioning yourself than that. In real life, you know the allies around you, you can tell who they are by their faces. In RO, there are a few faces that the game chooses randomly for each character, so we have to have floating names above peoples' faces when you get near to them. There are heaps of other examples of this - the lack of communication in RO compared to that of real life, the lack of body awareness in RO compared to real life, and so on. What does this have to do in real life? In real life, you can tell if you're going to fall over, you don't just go from perfectly balanced to face flat on the ground unless you're drunk, or you've just been hit on the head by something very hard. Granted, in a combat situation you might not be thinking too much of trying to keep balanced and not falling over, but you can usually tell if you're going to keel over soon and try and do something to fix that or, in a worst case scenario, try and get some cover to fall into. In the game, the only thing that could happen would be you suddenly falling over because the game thought you did so, with no warning.

Hm.. I agree on many points..
but I modified the idea abit...

When you encounter a slippy surface, you will have problems changing directions quickly... cause you'll continue to slide in the current direction until you can regain traction... (your movement controlls seem very sluggish)
- This indicates that the surface is slippy..
and you will know/feel that if you continue to sprint on that surface, you will eventually fall... - So you slow down to a safer speed...

This will benefit gameplay by slowing down the "run and gunners"... Meaning ....
for the SMG's to get into their favorable close range.. they have to get proper coverfire from the long rifles and MG's... and the move slowly forward...

It's all about how simple and how well it is implemented... I think... and it has never been done before...
IE the reason EVERY game feels abit the same...

Upvote 0