• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism Vs Classic

well...it's hard to really get it all across, but:

'Classic' is a new mode intended to play a bit more like the old RO:Ostfront game (ie RO1). There's no (or very very little) zoom, no bandaging, character movement is a bit slower, and the 'lock-down' feature is removed. The weapon sway is greater. Also, no spawning on squad leader. All of this is intended to slow the pace down just a bit and act more like Ost did.

'Realism' mode is more like ROHoS as the devs intended it to be. This new patch GREATLY (imo) improves on Realism as it was originally released. Bandaging is slower, the penalty for getting hit is greater, lock-down is not as obtrusive....etc etc. I was no fan of 'realism' mode as is was first released...now I sing a different tune. It's really very good.

For me, as a long-time Ostfront player...I can now honestly say I don't care WHICH one I play -classic and realism are both excellent in their own right.

Upvote 0
Yea , i fully agree with Private , Realism mode is brilliant now , we just need a few more maps basically , maybe some old legendary maps of RO1 to be ported to RO2 (some combined arms map or some urban maps with sewers like the Leningrad map which had great atmosphere , a "rattenkrieg" dimension which would fit well with the Stalingrad theme )

Classic hasn't got bandages , zoom or lockdown which favours the attackers in theory , but is slightly more slow paced so it evens out . It's really nice to have this "feel" again of the old Ostfront

At first i thought i would be playing Classic exclusively , but having played a lot since the patch is out , i favour the Realism mode now

Upvote 0
In my case, I'm more of a classic fan because I really enjoyed Ostfront, realism in general and I'm not a big fan of the relatively fast running speeds and ease of aim that is in realism.

I do play realism a lot though because I'd rather play realism in a good map than classic in a bad one and since there are far more realism servers than classic, I end up playing it quite a bit.

To each his own, though you won't see me playing on an action server!

Upvote 0
I like to compare the game by playing Classic to Realistic. Play Realistic first. Then play classic.
After playing realistic, classic is like a slow motion of realistic without some features.

If you are like me, after I play realistic, shooting and running in classic almost seems like everything is done underwater. Personally, I just need a little more speed. It isn't 2006, anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They're almost always one hit kills now.

Yes , if you hit the body near the centre of it , it's usually a sure kill now in realistic (with a bolt rifle at reasonable range ) .
But my impression is that it is even clearer in classic mode

As far as I know, they didn't change the damage for body shots in this patch for either realism or classic, with the exception of bleeding. In fact, they couldn't really make a rifle shot to the chest any more lethal, as it was already 100% lethal before. If a chest shot seems more lethal now, it's more likely because you're actually hitting where it looks like you're hitting rather than having latency throwing off the shot.

I imagine classic probably feels a little more lethal because of the lack of bleedout/bandaging, meaning that a rifle shot to the abdomen should (if I'm remembering correctly) be immediately lethal, rather than requiring bleeding to become lethal.

Upvote 0