• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism Suggestion for Reloading

skypirate

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006
1) Rather than have the gun automatically reload when clicking fire, the gun should only reload when the reload button is pressed. Afterall, if a soldier panics in a firefight and keeps pulling the trigger on an empty gun, the gun won't reload itself automatically. A soldier must recognize that his weapon is indeed empty (pulling the trigger with no "bang" is a good hint) and reload it himself.

2) Another thing regarding reloading realism, while minor, would be another great addition to the already awesome attention to detail-- do weapons which already have a round in the chamber have +1 ammunition (in addition to the magazine capacity) when reloaded? For example, a weapon with a 30 round magazine + 1 in the chamber for a total of 31 rounds, in contrast to a weapon which has completely run dry, where putting a fresh magazine would only give it 30 rounds. The weapon would be chambered (taking 1 round from the magazine)... and then, for those players who have some time to spare, they could reload AGAIN so now they have 1 in the chamber and a fresh magazine.

Anyway, just something to think about and something that people with guns deal with in the real world. I definitely think the first suggestion should be implemented if possible.

skypirate said:
1) Rather than have the gun automatically reload when clicking fire, the gun should only reload when the reload button is pressed. Afterall, if a soldier panics in a firefight and keeps pulling the trigger on an empty gun, the gun won't reload itself automatically. A soldier must recognize that his weapon is indeed empty (pulling the trigger with no "bang" is a good hint) and reload it himself.

I didn't know it was automatic, I've always reloaded with my R key. :eek:

Upvote 0
1) Already in game: You must press your reload key to reload the weapon.
2) Also already in game: RO has proper weapons handling, and that means the ability for automatic weapons to have "+1" rounds, or rounds in the chamber. And yes, a competent user is able to judge when to reload so that the chamber is not empty, thus speeding his reload process.

Upvote 0
breadtruck said:
Why need to change the key to work the bolt? Theres only so much "realism" a video game can portray, the fact that you have to click again to work the bolt should be sufficient. Binding another key to this function seems pointless to me.

Actually, I think you're right. To a trained soldier, working the bolt is a pretty routine task. But it would add a bit more realism if the trigger button was literally only the trigger.

Upvote 0
skypirate said:
Actually, I think you're right. To a trained soldier, working the bolt is a pretty routine task. But it would add a bit more realism if the trigger button was literally only the trigger.

No, actually it doesn't add a single scrap of realism. Yes, the motion is different. NO, a solider is not going to try to fire a rifle that hasn't been bolted- its a hell of lot more obvious than RO's animation really shows.

Given that you never need to use both buttons at once there is no reason to have them seperate. Would you suggest a seperate button to fire the tank cannons, mounted MGs, etc?

Upvote 0
Phoenix-D said:
No, actually it doesn't add a single scrap of realism. Yes, the motion is different. NO, a solider is not going to try to fire a rifle that hasn't been bolted- its a hell of lot more obvious than RO's animation really shows.

Given that you never need to use both buttons at once there is no reason to have them seperate. Would you suggest a seperate button to fire the tank cannons, mounted MGs, etc?

Hell NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Phoenix-D said:

One friend I took shooting didn't work the bolt of my Mosin M44 after his first shot. I had to remind him it wasn't a semi-automatic. Granted, he isn't a soldier.

Firing should be a single button. While the "triggers" may differ, the action is essentially the same. However, reloading or working the bolt is a different action altogether.

But honestly, I'm just playing devil's advocate at this point. As I already said, I agree with you guys. The game is great the way it is.

Upvote 0
Bolting a rifle should be done like this:

- Keep the bolting-key pressed (this to simulate your hand grasping the bolt)

- While keeping the bolt-key pressed, move your mouse to the left (your hand moving the bolt upwards)

- Stilling keeping the bolt-key pressed, move the mouse backwards then forward (you guessed it, it's your hand moving the bolt to reload the chamber)

- Then move the mouse right to simulate the bolt being locked in it's resiting position.

:D

Upvote 0