• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Realism" Clan Add-on?

When CoD first came out, it was a crappy game. With the UO add on it was much better. With GFM it was great. At least with RO:OST we are starting with a great game. If a few things were changed or the game was made easier to mod (currently the only way to change weapons or skins is to make the changes to the maps themselves), it could be the best most realistic and fantastic game ever.:D

CoD sucks in every way imaginable, ive got both CoD and UO and IMO they suck so much balls that all the men on the world couldnt supply them with enough. *shudders*

Upvote 0
What about reversible parkas?

gry1c.jpg

okbrn2a.jpg

PS: I was going to get into the touchy topic and explain away some myths about the Heer and WSS, but I don't want to cause this to get closed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What about reversible parkas?

Parka = Anorak.

You don't want to move around in one of those in combat with all straps and such put on. Sure it is warm, but that's the problem - after a few minutes feels like you are carrying a sauna with you and that limits pretty much your movement and pretty much fatiques you out quite easily. You would need quite cold temperature that you don't actually melt inside your anorak.

PS: I was going to get into the touchy topic and explain away some myths about the Heer and WSS, but I don't want to cause this to get closed.

Beter leave those things out. Sure it would clear up something, but it would end up in a political discussion.

Upvote 0
Uh, I think you would be a pretty happy soldier wearing one of them in Russia in December.

Well true, but the problem is that it really limits your movement pretty much, even if you are not melting inside it.

So practically you move pretty much slower and you are much more clumsier while moving with it. So practically if we have models wearing 'full' anoraks (both trousers and jacket combined) they would need severe speed penalty and less stamina. Jacket only does not really limit your speed, but you do get 'weary' with it faster than with a greatcoat.

Upvote 0
Uh, I think you would be a pretty happy soldier wearing one of them in Russia in December.

No during combat though. When I did my time in the military we had temperatures below -30 degrees C most of the winter and even if you were happy to have lots of good clothes while resting we usually striped much of it off when going into a fight since all the running in deep snow made you tired and warm really fast. And the last thing you want to do in those temperatures is to start sweating, because then you become wet and then you're screwed.

Upvote 0
Then why in so many photos and videos are both Russian and German soldiers wearing their winter clothing both stationary and on the move (in combat) ;)

Or perhaps the photos and videos aren't of real combat situations. If somebody starts taking photos of or filming troops, I'd bet it involves a lot of standing around and a lot less actual moving. There was no Goretex or any other super-breathable-but-still-warm clothing in the 1940's. If you could wear your winter coat during combat or on the march, then it probably wasn't too warm.

Upvote 0
I think you guys must be thinking of suits and pieces made of more modern materials rather than wool or cotton, which was probably the most common. There are videos and photographs that are of combat situations, so it's my belief that this idea of having to take off your winter clothing before fighting is overstated or wasn't practiced hardly during WWII.

Upvote 0
I looked for one of the videos on YouTube of Stalingrad that showed a squad moving around and ducking while wearing parkas. It looked like a combat situation to me, and if it wasn't I would say by the way they were behaving it could become one in the blink of an eye. It would be nice if someone could prove beyond a reasonable doubt whether soldiers did this, maybe a memoir from a soldier or an excerpt from a book?

Upvote 0
Realistic Wounds with Medic Class. When a player is shot and not killed, have his wounds effect him until a medic attends to him or he is killed. For example: if a player is wounded in the arm or hand, have the sway of his gun greatly exaggerated even when using his iron sights; if a player is wounded in the leg, make his movement much slower (as it is now but continue it until he is treated by a medic); if he has a head wound, make his vision blurry periodically (as it is now from suppressing fire); if a player is wounded in the chest, have him stay prone until the medic heals him. All of these things are already available in the game (except the medic

I stopped right there because medics in WWII had no job other than to prevent people from dying and get them off the field. If you had a wound that warranted a medic back then... You weren't going to be fighting again any time soon by brushing yourself off and going back into the fight.

You were going home on a stretcher and hopefully survive the wound.

Upvote 0
I looked for one of the videos on YouTube of Stalingrad that showed a squad moving around and ducking while wearing parkas. It looked like a combat situation to me, and if it wasn't I would say by the way they were behaving it could become one in the blink of an eye. It would be nice if someone could prove beyond a reasonable doubt whether soldiers did this, maybe a memoir from a soldier or an excerpt from a book?

From what I recall, Germans had rain parkas made of rubber or leather (early war) and then towards the end just heavy canvas.

But as all things, they often got discarded on the long marches during the hot summer months on the Steppes only to be woefully regretted during the horrid rain and mud fest in November.

[edit]

More or less early war were not as much as parkas as they were ponchos or overcoats.

Upvote 0

I'm not saying that it did never happen, I was saying that if you have a choice of removing heavy clothing before going into a battle you should. Breaking a sweat without the chance to get dry afterwards could mean death in harsh conditions like the russian winter.

Then again, if you're sitting tight in your foxhole you will want to have your coat and if Ivan comes all of a sudden...

Upvote 0