• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Randomize the Standard Loadouts

Westernesse

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2011
What I mean is by this is that sometimes my rifleman should spawn with 11 clips of bullets instead of 10 and sometimes he should spawn with 8. Sometimes he should have no grenades and sometimes one or three instead of two. This small bit of randomness gives the feel of some history behind your soldier and reflects that fact that they've sometimes been in a fire fight before and don't all have the standard issue gear as if they were straight out of basic training.

Obviously, just because in your last life your rifleman got a pistol which he snagged from some german officer that he killed last time he saw action as a trophy, doesn't mean that when you respawn again after his death your going to get a pistol again or be stuck with the 7 clips of rifle bullets you had last life either. It would be on a weighted system so for some example numbers 70% of the time you spawn with the standard issue 2 grenades. Then you've got an 9% chance to spawn with 1 grenade, 3% with none, 2% with a german grenade in addition to your 2 russian ones, 13% odds to spawn with 3 grenades and 3% with 4 grenades. You could have other chances things regardless of what your grenade spawn looked like. So .5% of the time you get a smoke grenade and 3% of the time you get a pistol and 2% of the time you wouldn't respawn with extra MG ammo to resupply MGs.

This isn't really a rifleman exclusive thing it can be applied to any class, I just used rifleman as the example. Maybe .1% of the time the engineer spawns with body armour. ;)

Overall, I'm just trying to go for a bit more realism with this to reflect that Stalingrad wasn't a well organized military parade down the street where everyone was equally supplied and at the same time make add a bit more history to your character and make you feel more connected to the avatar so you might be more interested in staying alive. I know if I spawned with a pistol as a rifleman on a realism server I'd crawl 100m if it meant getting a chance to use it.

As and additional idea:
You could even do some map and event depends things like if your team is really being killed repeatedly by enemy tanks the event triggers and bumps up the odds of rifleman spawning with AT grenades from near-zero to say 10% for two minutes before it deactivates. So 1-2 of your teams 15 riflemen could spawn with one and maybe put it to good use. Another example would be germans lost the last three matches so for the next match they've been reinforced and well supplied so the odds of them getting beneficial random things like more grenades and ammo are increased. Or although the germans won last match they were spamming rambo mgs and smgs all over the place and as a team scoring an abysmal 3% accuracy rate of bullets hitting human targets. So next match they have a chance of triggering the event (say 50%) that makes all their smgs and mgs have vastly increased chances to spawn with less ammo.

That happens already. Each rank level up you spawn with more bullets clips than previous level because Ammo Distribution stat actualy works. I actualy would like a RPG inventory feel for instance you can chose your loadout when you die and the loadout is by picking up enemy weapons and such but so it doesnt get overpowered as you can pick up alot of stuff as is it can be as a precentage so say you kill somebody and pick up their weapon you have a x% of getting it to your inventory avaliable for the whole match and it goes back to 0 when new match/map stars. But now thats totaly RPGish lol.

Reactions: GRIZZLY
Upvote 0
I always wanted tank deployment to be random, with different % per map, but always a chance. Imagine streaming across the bridge in appartments only to hear the rumble of tank tranks in front of you.

Not knowing the proper strength of the enemy would be a great bonus IMO, and would always keep maps fresh.

Upvote 0
Randomness is a bad thing in games. This could easily lead to situations where you desperately reach for a grenade to discover you don't have any, because you didn't spawn with them. Randomly.

Or you ran out of ammo earlier than you'd think you would've just because you randomly spawned with less. That's no fun.

Reactions: sampsa
Upvote 0
Randomness is a bad thing in games. This could easily lead to situations where you desperately reach for a grenade to discover you don't have any, because you didn't spawn with them. Randomly.

Or you ran out of ammo earlier than you'd think you would've just because you randomly spawned with less. That's no fun.

This. Randomness has no place in skill based games.

Random arty in RO1 was a big mistake. No need to make it even bigger by implementing random load outs in this game.

Upvote 0
This. Randomness has no place in skill based games.

Except that Randomness is usually all over online games and RO2. The leading random factor is latency which affects all kinda of things, one of which is that for two equally skilled players a lower ping would make one look more skilled. After that you've got bolt action rifle shots to the chest, sometimes making a standing player bleed out and sometimes killing him instantly, where you hit in the chest doesn't seem to make much difference excepting the heart. Bayonets are the same sometimes you won't kill a standing target from behind. Grenades sometimes kill you from 8m over open ground and sometimes you live being 2m from it. Rarely, your weapon locks up and you can't fire which often leads to your death in situations where a functioning gun most likely would of lead to you killing enemies and living a while longer. Bullet sway and suppression sway from nearby bullets are pretty random, sometimes your bullets fly true when under fire and other times you jerk a lot.

Even the when and where that you meet an enemy is technically semi-random. Your brain just knows how to analyze it and realize where players are most likely to travel along and the better places to shoot them from along that path. There is no guarantee or control that you have of them taking that path (unless it is the only path). The enemy battle plan and path if it exists at all is unknown to you and unpredictable from minute to minute or match to match. However, we can say that you will regularly meet the enemy during the match. This doesn't mean its nonrandom and predictable through the whole match though. Try before you next round to predict the total number of kills your going to get(assuming your trying and get 5+), what time you will get them at and if your feeling lucky where about you will get them. 98%+ of the time anyone who does that is going to be dead wrong even if your trying to fix the location the timing is hard to get. Nine times out of ten when I sneak up on an SMG user looking out a window and stab them with a bayonet if I had of come in 5 seconds sooner or later I'd of been shot by them, but I randomly happened to be checking the room for enemies even though I didn't know any were there at the right time to get them.

So I'd argue randomness has a pretty big spot in most multiplayer games and will for the foreseeable future, we just don't really perceive it. Even I'm guilty of that, I don't stop and scoff to myself about that being a random kill, instead I'm thinking about how I killed him or where to go next. This is really more like pouring a bucket into a pond when you consider how much randomness RO2 has overall. Although I can respect it if you say that's still too much and RO2 has too much randomness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurizle
Upvote 0
I'd actually approve, purely for realism. And, well, to spice things up a bit.

Technically it shouldn't be too hard to do; and reducing the felt randomness would only be a matter of giving every spawning player a quick splash screen on what their loadout looks like.
Just so there are no unseemly surprises like trying to use something that isn't there ;)

Upvote 0
Except that Randomness is usually all over online games and RO2. The leading random factor is latency which affects all kinda of things, one of which is that for two equally skilled players a lower ping would make one look more skilled. After that you've got bolt action rifle shots to the chest, sometimes making a standing player bleed out and sometimes killing him instantly, where you hit in the chest doesn't seem to make much difference excepting the heart. Bayonets are the same sometimes you won't kill a standing target from behind. Grenades sometimes kill you from 8m over open ground and sometimes you live being 2m from it. Rarely, your weapon locks up and you can't fire which often leads to your death in situations where a functioning gun most likely would of lead to you killing enemies and living a while longer. Bullet sway and suppression sway from nearby bullets are pretty random, sometimes your bullets fly true when under fire and other times you jerk a lot.

Even the when and where that you meet an enemy is technically semi-random. Your brain just knows how to analyze it and realize where players are most likely to travel along and the better places to shoot them from along that path. There is no guarantee or control that you have of them taking that path (unless it is the only path). The enemy battle plan and path if it exists at all is unknown to you and unpredictable from minute to minute or match to match. However, we can say that you will regularly meet the enemy during the match. This doesn't mean its nonrandom and predictable through the whole match though. Try before you next round to predict the total number of kills your going to get(assuming your trying and get 5+), what time you will get them at and if your feeling lucky where about you will get them. 98%+ of the time anyone who does that is going to be dead wrong even if your trying to fix the location the timing is hard to get. Nine times out of ten when I sneak up on an SMG user looking out a window and stab them with a bayonet if I had of come in 5 seconds sooner or later I'd of been shot by them, but I randomly happened to be checking the room for enemies even though I didn't know any were there at the right time to get them.

So I'd argue randomness has a pretty big spot in most multiplayer games and will for the foreseeable future, we just don't really perceive it. Even I'm guilty of that, I don't stop and scoff to myself about that being a random kill, instead I'm thinking about how I killed him or where to go next. This is really more like pouring a bucket into a pond when you consider how much randomness RO2 has overall. Although I can respect it if you say that's still too much and RO2 has too much randomness.

Pretty true, but the thing is randomness created due to technical/network/code issues is not an intended effect. It cant be helped. It can be mitigated, it can be reduced or softened by patches to games, upgrades hardware, software and network capabilities, but it can't be completely removed. Its annoying, but it has to be accepted for what it is and compensated for.

Randomness that was intended is what it is. Intended. Its something added on ontop of the undesired randomness prevalent in all MP games already. And usually its something that cannot be compensated for. Its another reason why i dislike jamming. I understand why that is added, and i appreciate peoples sentiments of it being added, but i simply don't like that roll of the dice thats almost impossible to know when it's gonna happen.

Ps, i hope that made sense. I really shouldn't post while drinking.

Upvote 0

I disagree. I think that would be awesome. I love tense moments like that! Just like when you take the perfect shot at the guy running at you and realize you forgot to reload :eek:

Plus, any good player would get in the habit of checking to see if they had any grenades at the spawn.

Upvote 0
Pretty true, but the thing is randomness created due to technical/network/code issues is not an intended effect. It cant be helped. It can be mitigated, it can be reduced or softened by patches to games, upgrades hardware, software and network capabilities, but it can't be completely removed. Its annoying, but it has to be accepted for what it is and compensated for.

Randomness that was intended is what it is. Intended. Its something added on ontop of the undesired randomness prevalent in all MP games already. And usually its something that cannot be compensated for. Its another reason why i dislike jamming. I understand why that is added, and i appreciate peoples sentiments of it being added, but i simply don't like that roll of the dice thats almost impossible to know when it's gonna happen.

Ps, i hope that made sense. I really shouldn't post while drinking.

I agree. Unintended randomness is not the issue here. As the term reveals that just means "bugs". I was talking about intended randomness. Lets have less of both.

Upvote 0