• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Random thought

[CoR]MiccyNarc

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
I was studying some geometry, realized I could measure angles in triangles quite easily (without the use of protractor/compass), and thought "Hey, cool, I'm figuring this out!"
Then the thought came to my mind:
"People who have figured out geometry are like people who can fart with their armpit. It's an interesting ability but has no practical application"

Anyway, just a random thought.

[CoR]MiccyNarc said:
I was studying some geometry, realized I could measure angles in triangles quite easily (without the use of protractor/compass), and thought "Hey, cool, I'm figuring this out!"
Then the thought came to my mind:
"People who have figured out geometry are like people who can fart with their armpit. It's an interesting ability but has no practical application"

Anyway, just a random thought.

Not at all actually.. ever try playing with creating your only 3d enviroment using OpenGL APIs? turns out you need all that geometery stuff.. :/

(from a short bout I had playing with a Java OpenGL lib/API)

Upvote 0
The prereq for the computer graphics class at carleton is linear algebra (aka Rn vector subspaces and matricies) so I'd say geometry is important, even for something as simple as mapping. When I texture, I have my calculator out so that I know what to rotate the textures to. Trust me, there are applications.

Upvote 0
i suggest you read "The Beginners Guide to Constructing the Universe". it shows just how much geometry is around you and how much it is used in day to day life.
you wont believe all the ways geometry has effected society on many many levels. in all seriousness it may change your the world as you know it.
have fun!

Upvote 0