• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Random non-controllable hollering by your character

Random non-controllable hollering by your character

• Yes, it's god damn annoying and I want full control of my character.

Votes: 53 46.9%
  • No, I want my character to keep hollering like now.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • No, I wish my character would talk more, tell stories, sing and shout like a maniac all the time.

Votes: 31 27.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavidL.Roth

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
Yet another poll rises in TWI forums.
But we all love polls, don't we?

I find it god damn annoying that my character shouts in-game for a time to time random things like: "Those bastards, they got him" or "I'm almost empty" etc.

I do understand why those voices are there.

They do create atmosphere and might be useful when your M1919 ammo belt is close to empty because you can't really see how many bullets you've already spend.

But Jesus H. Christ, it can and will get you killed many times.
Just try to be stealthy and your cover is often blown by someone in the group talking **** near enemy.

And I'm not talking about shouts when you're shot, it's okay to scream a little when bullet penetrates your nut sack.

Answer the poll and share your thoughts.

I like the voices tbh. Only a very small percentage of players actually go for voices, more listen out for footsteps and the sounds of people getting quietly shanked in the back (in my experiences any-ways).

They also sometimes help with knowing more of what's going on around you, the "Zey got heem!" lets me know it's probably a good idea to take cover (although seeing the guy lose his head is probably more of a motivator for hitting the dirt).

Overall they just build on the whole experience for me. If I want to sneak, I do it. The further away from friendlies I am, the quieter the character gets. I've really had no issues with sneaking and the voices.

Upvote 0
The further away from friendlies I am, the quieter the character gets. I've really had no issues with sneaking and the voices.

What about sneaking in a group (with squad) or sprinting while trying to sneak fast to somewhere?
After exhaustion your character starts moaning about lack of breath.

I agree with you on some things but I've never had any problems with situation awareness in any game where there is no random chatter involved. Actually this is the only game I've encountered random chatter.

Upvote 0
I don't trust a squad of people moving along to stay quiet for longer than 10 seconds, it's almost certain that one of them will start shooting, which is a helluva give-away and can be heard from across the map, whereas a Russian saying "They must be sh*ting their pants" is like...maybe hear-able from 10 metre max if the whole area is quiet.

I also tend to avoid using all of my stamina, so I can still move quickly if something happens and I need to haul *** over a small distance. Don't really encounter that particular sound cue much at all. Just the way I play. :p

Upvote 0
I think for those that like the "immersion of it" that it is fine -- BUT IT SHOULD BE PLAYER CONTROLLED.

Most players that have been playing for some time will remember the old "vsays" where you could say something aloud if you wanted, whether it be taunts or other communication -- IF YOU WANTED.

Upvote 0
I voted the opposite, as the poll was biased and therefore should be ignored until remedied.

Sorry to hear that, I tried to come up with good poll options but didn't manage to get that fourth one, but I can't add anything later.
Of course something like this would have been ok:
"No, but I want option to make my character quiet if I want to"

Third option was just a joke, but I guess people liked it :D

Upvote 0