• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - Xbox 360

Dillinger

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2006
Baltimore, MD
First off, try to keep the "this sucks because it's not like Rogue Spear!", etc. comments to a minimum. We all know the R6 series is not what it used to be, so try not to muddy the discussion with that.

So, I'm thinking of getting this for 360, as R6:Vegas 1 was a pretty fun game. Anyone bought it yet? Thoughts?

I have it, and have beaten the SP already. It's a little on the short side IMO, but well worth it. Some of the missions just had parts that were frustrating with how difficult they were, namely the one solo mission.

The MP loads up a lot faster than the previous game did and the maps look better in MP as well now. Unfortunately, I do not like what they decided to do with ranked matches. They limited Team DM to only have one respawn per round. Meaning, Team DM matches typically last 5 minutes or less. There's a good chance you'll be searching and idling in a pre-match lobby for longer than the match duration!

I believe only one (or two?) ranked MP modes have the option for infinite respawns or higher than 1 respawn per round. I personally find that to be a fat load of BS and so do others.

It is nice how they do have the ranking system carried over into SP though. So you can rank up and get new weapons/armor just from playing the SP game, so you do not have to play MP to get those items. And your created character is used throughout both SP and MP.

I'm enjoying the game, but there are a few glaring glitches (slowdown, clipping issues with guns, one hard lock up during a rather glass filled double grenade explosion during online co-op, and an instance where an enemy was able to walk on a wall...) and some lacking MP compared to the first. I'm awaiting a patch that will hopefully address my concerns. All in all though, I am having a lot of fun with the game.

Upvote 0
So, as I just got my 360, should I pick up Vegas 1 from the bargain bin for cheap or wait until Vegas 2's prices drop? I mean, do you think it's an improved or retrograded sequel?
Really, it's better in some areas and worse in others. I do suggest getting V1 if only for the back story as V2 takes place before, during, and after the events of Vegas 1.

Upvote 0
I heard they wanted to make it more tactical again.
And their idea of accomplishing that was by adding 2 new orders, throw grenade and something else.
Woohoo, we reached a whole new level of tactics now! /end sarcasm
Those do come in handy, but as said... the Vegas games in the R6 series shouldn't be compared to others baring the same name.

Upvote 0
Those do come in handy, but as said... the Vegas games in the R6 series shouldn't be compared to others baring the same name.
Yeah well as we most likely won't ever see an oldschool R6 again, people who'd like that should rather concentrate of the Project BlackFoot game.

Something tells me though that the Vegas and Graw Devs(and maybe splinter cell devs), wil be working together on a new ultimate Tom Clancy game.

Upvote 0
I heard they wanted to make it more tactical again.
And their idea of accomplishing that was by adding 2 new orders, throw grenade and something else.
Woohoo, we reached a whole new level of tactics now! /end sarcasm
"Hit their weak point for MASSIVE damage!":p

I like how they stick to that Vegas name now.
I still don't like that "Rainbow Six" in it but in a way it seems more like a new start of the series rather than a slaughtering of the old one.
Now you can play it thinking: "Wow, Vegas is really fun" instead of "Gawd, what does this have to do with R6?":)

Upvote 0
Well I remember when the secret/decoded page of the new Tom Clancy went online(which then turned out to be EndWar), most people were speculating that it would be I think the name was Firestorm, combining SC+R6+GR. Anyways, that MMO sounds interesting, but tbh. if it's going to look like WoW or ww2 online (graphically) I'm not even going to try it.

Upvote 0
As many steps as Vegas 2 takes forwards, it takes one backwards (I'm solely comparing it to V1, obviously the list would never end if I compared it to the R6 series). A few examples...
  • Enemies are smarter and more diverse. They now only throw smokes if they have thermal vision goggles and some even carry shields. However, you won't see either of those types in Terrorist Hunt, you'll only find the basic bad guys.
  • Instead of having some buggy/incomplete system of unlocking guns like in V1, you have the ACES system which gives you points for getting kills in a certain way. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact there are 20 levels in each of the three categories, and only half of those actually unlock something. The other half give you more xp, which is so beyond pointless it boggles the mind. Which, again, would not be so bad EXCEPT it takes forever to get up to level 20 in each category unless you grind (so far I have played through single player and several Terrorist Hunt missions, in co-op, for a total of about 10 hours and have only reached level 10 in one category), which is not only stupid but boring as hell.
  • Single player finally has checkpoints. Unfortunately it is so linear, scripted, confined (even more so than V1), and short that you will probably never want to play through it again. Especially the last "scene" of the last level, dear God that is unbearable, whoever designed that level should be barred from making anything for a video game ever again. Not only was the task itself retarded, but the frame rate drops to like 10 fps, making a bad level into epic fail.
The only improvement which has no drawback is sprint (which interrupts reloading btw :D ). So, all in all, if you didn't get V1, give V2 a try (a lot of stores have buy back, so it will be like having payed to rent it if you do that), however there isn't much reason for a V1 fan to bother until the price drops. Though I would recommend anyone wanting to play co-op wait till a patch comes out, because PAUSE DOES NOT FUNCTION ALL THE TIME IN CO-OP OFFLINE PLAY. No matter what you do (even disconnecting the controller or hitting the xbox button), there is nothing you can do to pause the game consistently while playing co-op offline. Oh sure a menu will come up, but most of the time the game will continue on and you will be unable to do anything about it. How this game got released with such a game wrecking flaw is beyond words.

Upvote 0