• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radius-based voice chat for infantry.

Hypno Toad

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2008
Standing behind you
If you've ever played RnL mod (resistance and liberation) you'll know the feature Im talking about. rather than being able to communicate over the entire map, your voice is confined to a radius of about 50 meters. Though you can still type across the map if you need to provided major warnings.

I've always felt that RO was a bit lacking in small unit tactics, people have a tenancy of walking off by themselves in large maps and I think having a standardized close range voice chat would really make the game more immersive, and would encourage infantrymen to stick together so they can speak to one another. The feature when used in RnL really made the game a much more sociable and personal experince, as to be more effective than your enemies, you need to stay close to other teammates and communicate with them. Makes for very intense urban combat, and lots of fun trodding around in hedgerows and trenches talking to your nearby buddies. It also adds great use to the officer classes as people will generally look to them as leadership figures; that coupled with the new "experience system" of RO2 would make an excellent leadership system in the game.

At least in rnl, your enemies also were able to hear what you say, so enemies in the next room will be able to hear you chattering away with your teamates in the room above. makes things very tense, and adds use to being stealthy. Knowing that the game is in Stalingrad, I think there's going to be a lot of room to room combat, and hearing your enemies muffled voices in the room next to you would really add a sense of delicious terror >:]

The example in question

YouTube - 3D Voice Audio

Most people nowdays have microphones, but due to the single channel system that RO used for infantry, there wasn't a whole lot of communication between teammates on the ground. Most of the chatter was just distracting and pointless, but with a radius based system, anybody can talk whenever they want, and (almost) all the information they speak will be relevant to the people around them who can hear them.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before a while back, but as always, I agree.

I love the realism and hilarity that comes out of this kind of VC. Makes it easier for people to have a nit fit little squad with good communication.

It's also too funny in that game when you trick people.

*gunshots*

> Is anybody out there???

< Ya we just killed all the bad guys buddy come on out

> Ok friend

*shoots him* :troll:

I'd also find it pretty freaking-awesome in RO2 cause there are tons of people who speak different languages in VC, so you'd hear german groups speaking, dutch, french, etc. All talking around you with different pitches and volume. Now that's realistic.

Upvote 0
Heh, yeah it's not exactly a super realistic feature since your enemies will often be speaking the same language, and sometimes it does detract from the seriousness of the game, but all together it just makes the game a lot more immersive, and dare I say it, fun :p

Besides, being able to radio across the map effortlessly is not exactly a realistic or nessersary feature. Generally the counter argument for this sort of idea is "it makes it hard to strategize" but it's really quite the opposite, as people who are normally reluctant to speak up on the team chat will more frequently voice themselves to nearby teammates. The implifications for squadplay, general teamwork and close range tactics outweigh the few downsides it brings with it. Its the one *big* feature I though RO always needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
I think the best example of how it should be done is the ACRE mod for ArmA II.

Though Im a big arma II fan, it always seems best not to integrate things from arma into other games. ArmA is a very slow paced and strategical simulator, where RO is a round based realism shooter.

Never used ACRE though so I dont exactly know what its features are, but just reading up on it now, it seems like anything related to that would just be incredibly expansive and complicated for a game like RO that is fairly simplistic in gameplay.

Upvote 0
May I have example lemon? How is different from RnL?
First of all, it's 3d, so the further away from people you are the quieter it gets. Secondly, you can correctly judge where people are by their voice, so if somebody is to your left you'll hear him to your left.

A2TS also had the feature of three different talk modes, which were quite handy if you needed to be louder/quieter, as the game didn't get muted/made quieter when somebody was talking.

Upvote 0
First of all, it's 3d, so the further away from people you are the quieter it gets. Secondly, you can correctly judge where people are by their voice, so if somebody is to your left you'll hear him to your left.

Ahhem

YouTube - 3D Voice Audio

It was integrated in a later version, but I tink it was still out before acre.

At any rate, it doesnt matter since ArmA had 3d Voice Audio from day 1. You just needed to select the "local" channel, to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first video is an earlier version of the mod. I just used that one in particular because it gives you an idea of the natural squad-play it promotes. Beyond the radius voice chat, there were no other "forced incentives" to promote teamwork, which is a big reason to include something like that in RO.
Better exchange the two vids then, as this isn't a thread to show off R&L but to show a specific feature.

Upvote 0
3D voice would add quite a bit to the teamwork experience imo. I would still recommend having the standard public and team wide channels on top of a local/squad/3d channel. At least have a squad channel. I find myself sometimes holding back from using voice in Ostfront simply because it feels ridiculous to holler 'Grenade!' etc at my whole team when I'm only trying to communicate with one or two people.

Upvote 0
RnL is a great game plaged by bugs and seemingly lazy dev's after tehy get liek 4 or 5 versions out (alpha 4, and now beta 5.......) but has so mutch potentioal.

anyway, the RnL voice would be amazing in RO2. but, i think both teams should hear it. it makes you reconize your team voices, other wise that german "team mate" is actually a russian!

but in tanks, you should be heard in a radius for people out side teh tank,, but other tanks can hear you loud and clear across the map because of the radios.

side not, only the lead tank in the russian army had a radio, so they ahd to use flags and stuff liek that!

Upvote 0