• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radio Man

Kavelin

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006
San Antonio
I'm sure the Russians and Germans had portable radio men. I mean when i'm commander i try to drop arty on an enemy postion and the next thing i know i'm kicked out to the server because of TKs. It takes for ever to travel to the radio and by the time your back its over. an also it would help the Russian and germans when there is no radio to call in like Berlin map

Portable radios were very cutting-edge technology at the time. I believe the United States was one of the few countries to widely use them (about 160,000 units produced), but it didn't even develop a radio small enough to be carried until 1941, with production not having gotten underway until a year or two later. I'm also not sure how many of those radios produced actually saw service.
However, it would be nice if some of the lighter infantry vehicles might have radios - either the current BA and halftrack, or some kind of specialized "spotter" scout cars.

Upvote 0
Nice idea, but have you ever seen the size of the man-portable german radios? They were huuuuuuuuuuge!

I'm pretty sure the russians were almost without this technology - certainly at the beginning of the war they didn't even had radios in their tanks, and had to use flags to communicate with each other.

Upvote 0
None of the Russian tanks had radios except the commander and the russian Shermans (from the US). All the german tanks had an radio (the one opperating it was the crewmember with the hull MG (it's name was a Funker). Though these radio's go to the commander, and the commander tank could use it for artillery.

What I would like to see is special Sd.Kfz 250/other armoured vehicle with an radio.

Upvote 0
None of the Russian tanks had radios except the commander and the russian Shermans (from the US).
That's incorrect. Most Soviet tanks (I don't believe the Russian Republic was producing its own tanks - it was the Soviet Union, and yes, there is a difference) did have a radio. The ones that didn't were generally the ones produced early in the war, like early models of the T-34. The T-34/85 and the IS-2 definitely had radios.
Anyway, back to topic..
Now, I'm not aware of any actual portable German radios, but I believe I did see some pictures somewhere. I'm not sure if these were actually "portable" in that a guy would run around with a radio in battle, or if it was just some guy carrying a really big radio who would then leave it somewhere before battle (it was quite large, I imagine it would be difficult to carry).

Last edited:
Upvote 0