• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions about the upcoming patch changes

Perk

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
Weapon pickup enhancements: listening to the feedback from the free week, we have implemented a much more simple system for picking up/dropping your current weapon. Weapons can now be picked up by looking at the weapon you want to pick up and pressing the Use key. Your current weapon will then be dropped automatically.

How is this going to work when there is a rifle, three panzerfausts, three satchel charges, and a grenade all stacked together? The current system has issues because it's almost impossible to pickup small items that are under or in close proximity to bigger items (try picking up a grenade when there's a rifle sitting right next to it). At least with the current system I'm not in danger of dropping MY weapon when I'm trying to pickup just a grenade however. Please make this a toggleable option unless the targeting of items on the ground is going to be much improved.

Ammo pickup enhancements: when a player drops ammo they now drop a single ammo belt or ammo pouch instead of multiple ammo clips or bullets. This makes the process of taking ammo from a dead enemy (or picking up your ammo when your weapon is shot out of your hand) much easier.

How is this going to work in the context of resupplying a teammate with the same type of gun you have? I know it doesn't happen that often in pub play, but when defending, I've dropped my gun and ammo next to a friend before so he can pickup half my ammo. I then pick my gun and the rest of the ammo up so we're both still fighting without having to die or leave a position. Could you possibly setup the give MG ammo key to also give one clip of your rifle / SMG ammo to a teammate with the same kind of gun? While on the subject, I'd also really like to see the ability to supply the PTRD gunners with additional ammo. Perhaps when you spawn you're carrying one ammo resupply and you can either give it to an MGer or an ATer...

I think there wasn't need for a more "basic" weapon picking system. The old way(the way it is now) simulated the time required to pick-up weapons. After the patch, we'll have gamey instant pickup rambos. It's a bad move without realistic weapon switching in my opinion.

The problem we have with picking/dropping is how you can't pick up a nade/satchel/ammo under a rifle.

Upvote 0
Guys just wait until we've actually seen the changes first hand instead of making assumptions and raising fears that will probadly turn out to be unfounded. Unless your on the beta testing team you cant make give some sort of usefull opinion and even if your're on the beta testing team you cant say anything anyhow so lets just wait and see for once.

Upvote 0
I think there wasn't need for a more "basic" weapon picking system. The old way(the way it is now) simulated the time required to pick-up weapons. After the patch, we'll have gamey instant pickup rambos. It's a bad move without realistic weapon switching in my opinion.

The problem we have with picking/dropping is how you can't pick up a nade/satchel/ammo under a rifle.

Well, I'm sorry but I find it annoying to hell as it is at the moment and in addition we do have absolutely unrealistic elements such the instantious rearmament of tanks (would you prefer to wait 5+ seconds per shell loaded in the tank?) and the same for infantry resupply as well.

It might not be the most realistic thing out there but I consider it one of the things that actually deter from having fun and not one of the things that contribute to it.

I have no idea where this information about the upcoming patch came from but I'm very happy for what they've done (or intend to do).

As for the valid point of giving your buddies some ammo (not to MGers I mean), why not incorporate a separate button so you can drop one magazine on the ground only (not your weapon and all magazines as it is at the moment). Wouldn't that make everybody happy?

Upvote 0
yeah im a little confused too, if i pick up an ammo belt and i can only carry two more clips will i get two and if another player could carry seven will he get seven? i assume the belt will contain all the ammo the dead man had so u take what u can carry and the rest is wasted? i think the resupply mg button should be used to drop a clip of whatever ammo u are carrying so u can still resupply your mates, i cant see what the problem would be with that, and it only supplies mg if u are close enough (like it does now). ill just wait and see i suppose it cant be any worse than the system now but i cant see what we gain from not being able too supply your teammates, thats exactly the sort of thing we want to encourage, so taking that away prolly bad idea.

Upvote 0
yeah im a little confused too, if i pick up an ammo belt and i can only carry two more clips will i get two and if another player could carry seven will he get seven? i assume the belt will contain all the ammo the dead man had so u take what u can carry and the rest is wasted? i think the resupply mg button should be used to drop a clip of whatever ammo u are carrying so u can still resupply your mates, i cant see what the problem would be with that, and it only supplies mg if u are close enough (like it does now). ill just wait and see i suppose it cant be any worse than the system now but i cant see what we gain from not being able too supply your teammates, thats exactly the sort of thing we want to encourage, so taking that away prolly bad idea.

It makes picking up weapons a breeze as in comparison to bending over for 5+ seconds "aiming" for the weapon you want to pick up, then for each of the magazines and so on, which in my case usually results in several bullets being implanted in my bottom parts...

Plus resupplying the people around me by throwing my weapon and then "hunting" for it the same way was hardly the best way it could be done.

I guess all the ammo in excess of your limit will be wasted when picking somebody else's ammo belt. They can make it so that you get what you need and the belt remains in place with whatever ammo remains in it (if you get all the ammo in it it will disappear of course).

Upvote 0
Guys just wait until we've actually seen the changes first hand instead of making assumptions and raising fears that will probadly turn out to be unfounded. Unless your on the beta testing team you cant make give some sort of usefull opinion and even if your're on the beta testing team you cant say anything anyhow so lets just wait and see for once.

I'm just replying to the info Tripwire posted on the front page of the RO website. I have concerns about how the new features are going to be implemented and I'm asking for clarifcation BEFORE they go live and affect gameplay.

I personally appreciate feedback on projects I'm working on while they're in progress, because its generally much easier to fix problems before a project is finalized. I also realise that I don't always consider every angle, and that another person's perspective on an issue can be very helpful.

Of course, I generally feel free to ignore that other person's perspective if it doesn't fit into the scheme of what I'm trying to acomplish... =)

Upvote 0
The ammo pouch thing is an excellent change, but I can't really tell from the changelog if it's actually going to be easier to target the weapons that I want out of stacks, which has to be the most frustrating thing in RO for me. Even if it's not, thanks for taking a look at the weapon pickup system in any case.

Upvote 0
I'm just replying to the info Tripwire posted on the front page of the RO website. I have concerns about how the new features are going to be implemented and I'm asking for clarifcation BEFORE they go live and affect gameplay.

I personally appreciate feedback on projects I'm working on while they're in progress, because its generally much easier to fix problems before a project is finalized. I also realise that I don't always consider every angle, and that another person's perspective on an issue can be very helpful.

Of course, I generally feel free to ignore that other person's perspective if it doesn't fit into the scheme of what I'm trying to acomplish... =)

We already have a team of people looking at the features we develop. The development team as a whole and a team of testers.
I have not heared anyone share your concerns in our testing while using the renewed feature, so you most probably can stop worrying.

Upvote 0
You don't have to worry about dropping your rifle when trying to get a grenade.

There was a post about how you can only exchange weapons when you have the matching weapon class out.

So if you have no (or 1) grenade, and try to pick up while your rifle is out, you'll grab the grenade.

Now if you try to pick up a diferent rifle, you need to have your rifle out to do that. It's just like the current system, without the extra step in that currently you switch to the rifle, toss it, then try to pick up the correct rifle. Now you don't have to bother with the toss.

Upvote 0
Overall, sounds good. I think the problem with weapon stacking is something that's part of the engine and how items are dropped. I don't THINK the items have real-world physics associated with them yet. I've yet to see a grenade roll down a hill, for example, discarded, thrown, or otherwise. Usually they're like spitballs -- throw 'em and they stick where they land (or bounce off if the angle's too sharp).

Upvote 0
in my opinion scrap the friggin G41 and FINALLY include the Pz.4 H
and a latewar Stug3 G

well, yeah. one more obscure weapon choice for a ground pounder is hardly exciting. I know I'll never even see it, let alone use it. :)

BUT, you have to give TWI credit for all the updates, fixes, and generally awesome customer contact. thumbs up!

Upvote 0
Here's my take on things. I also find it to make the most sense.

WEAPON SHOT OUT OF YOUR HAND!

If someone shoots my hand and I drop my firearm, or someone shoots the firearm itself out of my hands, every single clip or magazine I have for it isn't going to fall out of a hole in my ammo pouch either. So an easy fix to getting the weapon shot out of my hand is to just have the rifle drop and not all my ammunition for it.

let's say I had the weapon shout out of my hand, and I want to pick up something else, say an MP40. If my screen is blank, I should have to press backslash first to drop my current ammo I had more my old weapon, in order to have sufficient room for the new ammo type.

On to picking up weapons in general...

I am against quick pickups like in CS or DOD. While I find the current way too picking up ammo is unrealistic, I still like the time it takes to take a new weapon and grab ample ammo for it.

My system for picking up different weapons would go.
  1. First, dropping your weapon, which rids yourself of all your ammo as well.
  2. Picking up the new weapon.
  3. Scouring the dead body for the ammo it has.
Now, with dead bodies disappearing before guns do, I think it'd make sense that guns and dead bodies disappear together, as well as the ammo to that weapon.

There are probably a few flaws to my way of thinking, but they shouldn't be all too major.

Upvote 0
in my opinion scrap the friggin G41 and FINALLY include the Pz.4 H
and a latewar Stug3 G

Lol. Right, in your head, picture the time it would take to manufacture a G41 for real. Now in that same head try to picture the time it will take to make a Pz.4 H. See the difference? It's like that in real life, and so is it like that in gamedevelopement :)

Upvote 0
How is this going to work when there is a rifle, three panzerfausts, three satchel charges, and a grenade all stacked together? The current system has issues because it's almost impossible to pickup small items that are under or in close proximity to bigger items (try picking up a grenade when there's a rifle sitting right next to it). At least with the current system I'm not in danger of dropping MY weapon when I'm trying to pickup just a grenade however. Please make this a toggleable option unless the targeting of items on the ground is going to be much improved.

How is this going to work in the context of resupplying a teammate with the same type of gun you have? I know it doesn't happen that often in pub play, but when defending, I've dropped my gun and ammo next to a friend before so he can pickup half my ammo. I then pick my gun and the rest of the ammo up so we're both still fighting without having to die or leave a position. Could you possibly setup the give MG ammo key to also give one clip of your rifle / SMG ammo to a teammate with the same kind of gun? While on the subject, I'd also really like to see the ability to supply the PTRD gunners with additional ammo. Perhaps when you spawn you're carrying one ammo resupply and you can either give it to an MGer or an ATer...

lol the reason they do it these ways is because people in the forums make posts, and then other people respond to those posts, and TW acts on how the response was

in the case of ammo picking up, most of the posts I saw were in support of the idea, so they implemented it

so...blame the people if you dont like it

Upvote 0
I'm not going to make any assumptions, just because I don't have ANY idea of how it works, but wouldn't it be easier to edit the existing PzIV and Stug III models and statistics to bring them in line with the later-war tanks?

Modeling an entirely new rifle with proper function and behavior seems like it would be more difficult than that.

As previously said, of course, I have no idea about how it works and how you guys do it, so maybe I'm completely wrong.

I just want the T-34 to not deflect tank rounds so god damn much. The BA-64 too, for that matter. Speaking of the BA-64, I'd like it if it wouldn't leap in to the air when a panzerfaust hits it, too.. and the machineguns being remotely realistic (MG42 assault stance included in that) and hull machineguns not rocking the entire tank and the StuG III G actually being a StuG III G and being more prevalent on tank maps and etc etc etc

fake edit: oh yeah and what the hell is with stripper clip reload times being so damn long? I've never seen anyone reload like that, sliding the cartridges in to the rifle usually takes less than half a second.

fake tangent: and what is up with mosin ironsighted bolting taking way less time than kar98 ironsighted bolting?

and why can't we reload rifles before shooting off all of our ammunition?

I'm going to stop now before this post really gets away from me.

edit again (I lied): looking at the StuG III data sheet even lists its coaxial MG as armament.

Last edited:
Upvote 0