• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

question

Rowddy

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 9, 2009
hello i enjoyed playing Red Orchestra very much but i hated 1 team from the bottom of my heart, namely STEAM!!!

I hope by God that this new game at least have the option to use it or not, i have to admit i am not sure if i will buy it (how good it may looks and be) if STEAM is a mandatory thing to install.

hello i enjoyed playing Red Orchestra very much but i hated 1 team from the bottom of my heart, namely STEAM!!!

I hope by God that this new game at least have the option to use it or not, i have to admit i am not sure if i will buy it (how good it may looks and be) if STEAM is a mandatory thing to install.

nope im 100% sure that HoS will use Steam (devs stated it numerous times) and im also 100% sure that there wont be an option to choose

why do you dislike Steam so much?
tbh i like it :)

Upvote 0

Indeed, what's wrong with Steam?

I remember when Steam first came out when Half-Life 1 was still main stream and people were all ticked off that they were switching from WON ID's to Steam ID's, complained about how slow it was, how there were so many problems, glitches, higher pings, whatever, yet I have yet to encounter any real problems with Steam. My ping did go up a bit, but was still well under 100, so nothing to write home about.

Wait, there is one problem when playing Half-Life single player, where some parts where music is to be played, it crashes to desktop which the old WON games never did and only started doing this since the installation comes from Steam rather then my disc.

But that's small potatoes since I played the game to death over the last 10-11 years and all the multiplayer mods still work perfectly fine.

I just don't see what the big deal is against Steam.... it's a great way to keep track and storage of all your video games, and when you get a new computer or reformat, you can just install steam, log on to your old account and then all the games are available to install and play like before.... without having to screw around with a bunch of discs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It works fine. It apparently helps freshman game studios as well.

..but what I don't like about it is you can't sell your games when you are through with them. It erases the secondary market. I imagine the industry absolutely despises the used game market. Kudos to them for this little model.

..also, the public displaying of what and how long you play is annoying. You should be able to have a public Friends page without that info.

Upvote 0
I have used steam since it first came out to the public way back when

CS 1.6 era

And well I HATE IT SOOOOO MUCH I AGREE WITH OP AGREE TIMES A BILLION!!!!! :mad:

Steam sucks THIS IS WHY

It randomly kicks you out your game and says BAD LOGIN
It randomly kicks you out your game and says TIME TO RESTART WE FIXED A SMALL GLITCH FOR SOME STUPID TEXT FILE THAT WAS BROKEN -.-
It gliches A LOT when you have without internet and want to play offline mode,in order to 100 percent get int offline mode you must first LOG IN and then click offline,but if your without internet YOUR FVKED!!the 300$ games on your PC WORTHLESS all b/c gay *** steam

meh im to sleepy to go on

I know RO2 will use steam,And I will be forced to use it so no point kicking and screaming

But If I Had MY Way.....I'd go jihad on the guys who own steam!!!! :D

Upvote 0
steam USED to suck major dicks. it doesn't now. and your account holds your games forever when you buy them so you don't have to deal with forgetting where discs are or even having to put them in your cd drive.

every modern gamer has steam installed. get with the times.

I hear the new cool thing is to jump off a bridge,every modern guy knows that,get with the times!!!

lolol no but for real, I still use steam every day of my life,And every day I find a new reason to HATE IT,and wish death upon its creators....every damn day of my life :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CS 1.6 era

Steam sucks THIS IS WHY

It randomly kicks you out your game and says TIME TO RESTART WE FIXED A SMALL GLITCH FOR SOME STUPID TEXT FILE THAT WAS BROKEN -.-
It gliches A LOT when you have without internet and want to play offline mode,in order to 100 percent get int offline mode you must first LOG IN and then click offline,but if your without internet YOUR FVKED!!the 300$ games on your PC WORTHLESS all b/c gay *** steam

I know RO2 will use steam,And I will be forced to use it so no point kicking and screaming

using steam since 3 years now, never had any of the problems listed by you

if steam doesnt get a connection when trying to log in, it gives you the choice to either retry or go in offline mode
so please stop to spread wrong "facts" just because you are either unable to use a simple programm or do something wrong

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm sorry but I have to negate all anti-steam arguments by bringing up one topic that steam is a savior on.

updates.

without steam: you face having to look up youtube guides on how to correctly update some games with a billion patches that you have to install in order.
also you have to find websites to download the patches from if those still even exist (depending on how old the game is) and what if you lose the cd or cd key? then you potentially wont be able to install the patch or even run the game. find a no-cd key patch or crack? what if that disables your online play? then you have to find an online enabler or a no-cd crack for your version that allows online play.

with steam: the updating is done for you. you are always kept up to date and given notes about what the changes made were. you don't have to worry about cd keys or cd's being lost. you don't have to worry about making sure patches are hosted somewhere for download.

if my choice is between difficult overly complicated patching or simple patching but with a slightly buggy program (that works fine for me anyway) then I would choose the steam option anyday.

here's a thought. if you're having problems with steam. USE GOOGLE. all of the problems you listed have fixes for them that I have seen on various forums. sure steam isn't perfect, but it's hardly the horrible mangled wreckage of a program that you claim it is.

if it kicks you out mid-game and asks for a re-login then it's because you have to log out and in to refresh your ticket every once in a while. re-logging in when it asks you for it only gives you a temporary ticket that doesn't last as long.
and you shouldn't have to need internet to run it in offline mode. it should say that it couldn't connect and give you the option of running it in offline mode instead. if it doesn't then you really need to reinstall steam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CS 1.6 era

Steam sucks THIS IS WHY

1.It randomly kicks you out your game and says BAD LOGIN
2.It randomly kicks you out your game and says TIME TO RESTART WE FIXED A SMALL GLITCH FOR SOME STUPID TEXT FILE THAT WAS BROKEN -.-
3.It gliches A LOT when you have without internet and want to play offline mode,in order to 100 percent get int offline mode you must first LOG IN and then click offline,but if your without internet YOUR FVKED!!the 300$ games on your PC WORTHLESS all b/c gay *** steam

1. Never had that.
2. Steam doesn't update if you're ingame
3. Had one problem like that when I was in the army, restarting my computer worked.

I bet 95% of people complaining about running Steam in the background actually have 100+ processes running in the background.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
haters be hating.

Steams really good. I actually prefer getting my games on steam (sometimes convert the retail purchase to steam).

Ingame friends lists and chat is the thing that does it for me. Also auto updating is awesome cakes and means devs dont have to wait to release a patch with substance and just update as and when, meaning a more uptodate game!

Upvote 0
It works fine. It apparently helps freshman game studios as well.

..but what I don't like about it is you can't sell your games when you are through with them. It erases the secondary market. I imagine the industry absolutely despises the used game market. Kudos to them for this little model.

Then bulk sell your account with all the games.

..also, the public displaying of what and how long you play is annoying. You should be able to have a public Friends page without that info.

Which is why I don't add friends. :cool:

Upvote 0
Steam sucks THIS IS WHY

I've only had "Unable to Connect to Steam Authentication Server" which boots me off a server, but only occured on one server from time to time.... all others were perfectly fine.

It randomly kicks you out your game and says TIME TO RESTART WE FIXED A SMALL GLITCH FOR SOME STUPID TEXT FILE THAT WAS BROKEN -

Never had that.

Funny, if I turn off my internet connection and then log in (Pull out the cable or go into Windows and disable your network manually) it tells me it can't connect and asks if I want to go in offline mode..... and I could still play my games..... then again, it's been a while since I did that.

Upvote 0
haters be hating.

Steams really good. I actually prefer getting my games on steam (sometimes convert the retail purchase to steam).

Ingame friends lists and chat is the thing that does it for me. Also auto updating is awesome cakes and means devs dont have to wait to release a patch with substance and just update as and when, meaning a more uptodate game!

The other thing about the updating is that sure, in the past before Steam came out and patches and updates for Half-Life were popping out the wood works every two weeks, the patches were pretty easy to run and install..... the problem always came from where you get those updates and patches, when most of the time the only place you could get the newest updates was on that crap site FilePlanet.com.

FilePlanet wasn't so bad at the start, but then they started requiring registration and login before you could download anything, and then they started capping how many people can download at a time and you'd be stuck in line for hours waiting to download a 10 mb patch ffs..... or they'd just say there was an error and not let you download it period, thus you'd have to wait three or four days before you could get it.

Then I found Filefront.com and they didn't have line ups of people waiting, you just clicked and downloaded..... sweet.

But they sometimes were slow in getting new files, so having it all go through steam sure does remove that extra middle man.

Upvote 0