• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Question - Is it worth fixing and updating a map realesed in phase 1?

DAEDRICK

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Hey guys,

I was wondering, my map that I released at the end of phase 1, if I update it to fix some issues and finish it as it was meant to be will it count as my final release or its just too late and I should be working on a new one?

I saw that discussion on the KF2 contest page and it confused me a little...

poosh Oct 12 2015 says: BTW, what's the difference between Phase 1 and Phase 2, except timelines?

+3 votes reply to comment

Staff
INtense! Oct 12 2015 replied: Community voting begins as soon as you submit your map. So for people working on more advanced maps who cannot submit right now, phase 2 resets the vote and has the really big prizes - as everyone should be able to make this deadline.

+2 votes reply to comment

poosh Oct 12 2015 replied: So the same map can be submitted in both phases?

+2 votes reply to comment

Staff
INtense! Oct 12 2015 replied: No, you should only submit each map you make once (then update it as you make fixes + improvements) and it'll automatically tally votes both in phase 1 and phase 2.

So, what does this means exactly? That with fixes and improvement it will get more votes? But, then do we submit and fill the document again? Thanks for the clarification.

If this works like the contest by Torn Banner for Chivalry (and it surely looks very similar!), they simply add the maps from round two to the maps submitted in round 1.

So if you submitted a map for round 1 and updated it, you are in round 2 by default (After filling the forms and whatnot).

Votes are reset in the sense that they will look at the map as if it didn't exist before.

All of this is pure supposition, though :D

Upvote 0
Hmmm I see, this is all very confusing, thank you for the clarification. So, in other words, if I update my map to fix some issues and add some custom meshes it wont change a single thing for the contest; they wont even look at the updated version?

I wont leave it in that state, thats for sure, but if it doesnt change anything for the contest I wont waste time on it. I will fix it after the contest is done. I still want it to be successful and appreciated in the end.

I guess I could fix everything add a lot of stuff and resubmit? But that would prevent me from submiting another map, correct?

Upvote 0
It was already released during phase 1, but it was far from perfect, I didnt have enough time as I started it and finished it during the contest phase. You can see it in the beta map sub-forum. KF-QueenAstrid.

http://www.moddb.com/games/killing-floor-2/addons/kf-queenastrid

Then if I can submit as many as I want maybe I will fix it up and submit it for phase 2... then I shall have 2 maps for phase 2 and 0 for phase 1... hmmmm decisions. But in its state I dont think I will win anything in phase one, Would you like to take a look at it and tell me your opinion? Either way its gonna help me.

Upvote 0
It was already released during phase 1, but it was far from perfect, I didnt have enough time as I started it and finished it during the contest phase. You can see it in the beta map sub-forum. KF-QueenAstrid.

http://www.moddb.com/games/killing-floor-2/addons/kf-queenastrid

Then if I can submit as many as I want maybe I will fix it up and submit it for phase 2... then I shall have 2 maps for phase 2 and 0 for phase 1... hmmmm decisions. But in its state I dont think I will win anything in phase one, Would you like to take a look at it and tell me your opinion? Either way its gonna help me.

If you dont mind me being harsh and honest, ill check out your map later today and PM you my thoughts. I did send you some of my thoughts on your beta thread.

Upvote 0
The idea is that you'd get feedback from the community members during phase 1 of a map's development then submit it for phase 1. Then after the phase 1, continue to iterate until phase 2.

As it pertains to phase 2 and submissions. A winner in phase 1 is not automatically a winner for phase 2. If you'd don't get a cash award for phase 1 and do nothing to your map it is a safe bet that in phase 2 you will still not win.

Upvote 0
If you dont mind me being harsh and honest, ill check out your map later today and PM you my thoughts. I did send you some of my thoughts on your beta thread.

Yes please be harsh and honest, you can PM me anytime.

The idea is that you'd get feedback from the community members during phase 1 of a map's development then submit it for phase 1. Then after the phase 1, continue to iterate until phase 2.

As it pertains to phase 2 and submissions. A winner in phase 1 is not automatically a winner for phase 2. If you'd don't get a cash award for phase 1 and do nothing to your map it is a safe bet that in phase 2 you will still not win.

Good points and totally understandable. But Im bent between; do I make an entirely new map, or I update my first map so it have a chance to win.

Also, the judging is only at the very end of phase 2, both for phase 1&2? I must be thick because Im having difficulty grasping the rules... ahaha!

Upvote 0
I think the question that everyone wants a to the point answer is this.

If I update my map that was entered in phase 1, will it be disqualified for phase 1?

Thats what I understand, if I update my map that I released in phase 1 it will count toward phase 2... Either way I decided to update it and make it perfect. I just hope I wont be disqualified for phase 2, lol... this is all very confusing! :p

Upvote 0