• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Question - Adding shirts?

Moz

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
I am not a coder, but do any coders know a way I could attach a static mesh(s) to a vehicle's external/internal models such as anti rifle shirts or vegatation. I know the shirts were not effective against AP rounds but its mostly a visual thing.

Thanks

i2003-03_9.jpg

To the best of my (limited) knowledge:

Well.. even if you attach them, you have to subclass the xxxTank class and of course it's factory.

Create the model you want.. might be an idea to make the model of both skirts 1 single model.
Then attach it to whatever bone you need to attach it to (or maybe you can just do it from X/Y coords..?)

Doing it as a whole new model would be the best performing.. since your LOD models can be alot less detailed (since you won't see anything the skirt is covering up, and the skirt itself is pretty simple.. model wise.

Now if you were constructing a skirted tank to be accurate.. that'd be a bit more work.. since now you have specific hit zones that specific AT weaponary doesn't penetration..
If you go there, you can probably learn a thing or two from the Destroyable Static Mesh code.

Upvote 0
UncleDrax said:
Now if you were constructing a skirted tank to be accurate.. that'd be a bit more work.. since now you have specific hit zones that specific AT weaponary doesn't penetration..
If you go there, you can probably learn a thing or two from the Destroyable Static Mesh code.

the problem is not to exclude vertain DamTypes from doing damage. That can be done by just, well, checking the damType and prevent that. Imo the problem is the effect on the tankshells. Is the added armour critical? I mean are there rounds that might not penetrate cause the skirt is there? Also the area to disable the tracks is changed (though im not too sure if it has to be changed cause the shell wouldnt hit there anyway).

Upvote 0
I have already new subclasses for the tanks (new yellow camos) of the Pz3/Pz4/stug3

I was also considering at least changing the armour/shell values so they at least preform historically but it looks like ALOT of classes to deal with.

Doesn't help that no matter what I do the ****ing spawn system refuses to work on the map and I am still unsure if the expieremental features I have in the map will work on all machines.

Upvote 0
Moz said:
I have already new subclasses for the tanks (new yellow camos) of the Pz3/Pz4/stug3

I was also considering at least changing the armour/shell values so they at least preform historically but it looks like ALOT of classes to deal with.

Doesn't help that no matter what I do the ****ing spawn system refuses to work on the map and I am still unsure if the expieremental features I have in the map will work on all machines.

Spawn for the tanks? or just the regular inf spawns?
(you probably did this already Moz.. but for those following and new to the system.. you have to create an additional Vehicle Factory class and place that in your level.. (unless you using a mutator..))

Upvote 0