• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question About Patch RE: D3D

Jet Black

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not going to assume I've solved all my issues yet (as sometimes luck is on my side) but I decided to go for OpenGL and try that and I managed to wander through the menus without freezing (which was a big issue since the beginning) and I just played a round without freezing.

My question is: Are there any fixes for D3D going into the patch, or should I expect to be stuck with OpenGL and its unsupported suckiness? :p I hate the white menus with white text and the fact I can't get motion blur! But I like the fact I can play the game.

Specs:
Athlon 64 3800+ X2
EVGA 133-K8-NF41-AX
OCZ Dual Channel PC3200 CL2.5 512 x 4
EVGA Geforce 7800 GT x 2 (SLI)
Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeMusic
2 WD 7200RPM EIDE - 110Gigs
1 Hitachi 7200RPM SATAII - 80Gigs
LG 32x10x40 & 16X DVD Combo Drive
LG L203WT 1680x1050 20.1" Widescreen LCD

Thanks for responding, Yoshiro. I'll detail everything I can to make sure you have all the info you need:

When I first installed the game a few months back often my system would lockup while in the menus just trying to adjust my settings.
I tried: moving/removing my soundcard, different nVidia drivers, different OpenAL drivers.
Solution: Avoided the menus at all costs ;) Edited the .cfg files instead. Used Gamespy to go into games.

Occasionally while playing RO:Ostfront the game will hard-lock/freeze while playing. I could never get a minidump because the system froze before it could write one.
I tried: Changing the threading options of my Dual Core chip, changing the threading options of the nVidia drivers, different drivers, a new soundcard, upadted AMD drivers, different chipset drivers, the 91.28 beta nVidia drivers, running sound in Safe Mode, running with Software sound, deleting/reinstalling RO:Ostfront, re-downloading Ostfront, deleting the .cfg files, deleting/reinstalling Steam, cleaning, defraging, chkdsking, turning AV and other background programmes off, turning all the startup files off, ... lots of stuff ;)
Solution: I had absolutely no idea what to do next but re-read some old posts and changed the rendering programme from D3D to OpenGL. Menus look aweful, graphics aren't nearly as nice (some flickering, no motion blur) but I wandered through the menus changing things without a freeze, and just played another round without any problems.

My system (posted above) is running Windows XP SP2. I have no funky firewall or other software running (to be honest the only thing that starts up is my AV and I've tried playing with the AV off. It's NOD32). I have as many extrenuous services and background applications turned off that are not necessary for Windows, I have the latest DirectX (I've tried installing it numerous times), I'm still using the 91.28 nVidia drivers since it didn't seem to matter which I used... my system is pretty new but the below games have all worked fine at maximum settings:

World of Warcraft
Chronicles of Riddick
Quake 4
Call of Duty 2
Tomb Raider: Legend
Trackmania Original, Nations and Sunrise
SiN Episodes: Emergence
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Star Wars: Battlefront II

Like I said all those games run flawlessly.

I gave up overclocking almost a year ago, so everything is running stock and nice and cool. Have a good quality 600 Watt PSU, numerous fans, cool ambient temperatures... I really can't think of anything else to tell you, other than the fact I love this game - any other game I'd probably have stopped trying ;)

Anyway, OpenGL appears to be a half-decent solution, but the image quality and the menu bugs unfortunately make the game feel less polished than I know it is. Doubt there's anything there that'll help - you'll probably look at it and wonder why I'm having issues - which is exactly what I'm doing ;)

I've done searches on the 'net and found a smattering of people who have trouble with the UT2k4 Engine Recent Post Here. I've sent an email to the guy asking whether he solved the problem (he said he has issues with Ostfront, UT2k4 and America's Army - I only have Ostfront so can't test out any other UT2k4 games).

Whew - that's a lot of words. Anyway, if there's any D3D adjustments in the patch I'll just hope they somehow address the issue since I'm sure nobody can know what they are - I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for reading, Yoshiro :)

Upvote 0
Okay, played AA for a while (and let me tell you, it's no Ostfront!! ;) ) and it worked fine. The menus were eirily similar, so I thought AA would probably crash, but no. I managed to setup everything I needed without trouble.

However, one thing I noticed is in the Display settings, AA *Only* has D3D option, not D3D9... so at the moment I'll be testing running RO on D3D instead of D3D9.

I managed to run through the RO menus a bit without issue with D3D and played a bit of a practice match with bots. So far so good (but I won't count any chickens yet). At least the menus look better than they did in OpenGL, but it looks like I still don't have motion blur?

Anyway, if this is true, it could be some implementation of D3D9 maybe? I know my 7800's support it, but I also remember seeing other people with 7000 series cards having issues - maybe there's something wierd with the newer cards?

I'll report back if I get crashes running plain D3D... hopefully this was enlightening somehow? Thanks again for listening!

Upvote 0
Just an update for you, Yoshiro. OpenGL is going strong, no issues other than some flickering textures and the aweful menus. If there are no D3D fixes going into the patch, it'd be cool if once you guys have some spare time (which will probably be a while) you could change the colours of the text or something in the OpenGL menus just so I can read them. I know it's not officially supported, but if you have time ;) Blur would be nice too, but that's asking too much :D

Upvote 0