• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Question about helmets

Helmets in real life may have deflected some rounds, but with the right shot, could be pierced by bullets. I just read a book about a Marine on the island of Chosieul during WWII and the bullet pierced the helmet, ran between it and the helment liner and stopped in the front leaving a bump in the helmet. He was lucky and survived the war without a scratch.

In game, I have been able to do headshots with a pistol practically at point blank range and got a kill. I don't think they do anything except look good on a soldiers head.

Upvote 0
They did a helmet test on a Military Channel show a while ago. A WWII helmet would not stop a bullet at all, even a pistol round easily went clean through. A modern helmet can stop a pistol round (though it may still kill you) but a rifle bullet still goes clean through. Helmets are really more for things like flying debris and light shrapnel than bullets.

Upvote 0
They did a helmet test on a Military Channel show a while ago. A WWII helmet would not stop a bullet at all, even a pistol round easily went clean through. A modern helmet can stop a pistol round (though it may still kill you) but a rifle bullet still goes clean through. Helmets are really more for things like flying debris and light shrapnel than bullets.
i'll have to see that video. I know that someone at my range shot the thin metal mailbox with what had to be a .45 the bullet went through the front and dented the side and rear before stopping. seemed to me as thin as it was that a helmet would stop a .45. they are way thicker metal than this cheap old mailbox. but yea, they aren't meant to stop bullets. any rifle round would zip through them at almost any angle. like butter.

if you guys want to see some really interesting effects of bullets striking objects, watch the video in my signature. it's priceless.

Upvote 0
A .45 is a low velocity round with a wide cross-section. It imparts its kinetic energy on the first thing it hits, without impressive penetration characteristics. That is what gives it its famous "stopping power". So I'm not surprised it doesn't penetrate a steel-pot helmet. It's like a ten-lb sledgehammer at 20ft/s versus a 2-lb ballpeen hammer at 100ft/s. Same energy but one penetrates while the other one just crushes.

1942 ad claiming tin pot helmet stops a .45

This rare futuristic axis helmet design could stop anything: image link

Upvote 0