• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Project Realism Changes

There is an interesting anecdote about less mainstream game.

Sniper ghost warrior has sway, proper balistics, and hold the breath function for precision aiming, bullet dispersion, interesting maps.

While sniper ghost warrior is nothing like cod series nor bf series city interative says it's sold over millian copies and a sequeal is about to be released geared up with pricey crysis 2 engine.

What i am trying to say is interesting and skill requiring gun play itself with a bit of interesing maps are enough for good sales records.

Also a bit of unique quality as sniper ghost warrior was the first sniper fps that didn't suck and also very interesting to play.

While, ro2 polished itself from horrid beta status, too easy, maybe the most predictable and easiest gun play made ro2 very boring indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
I'd say, keep it the same speed, but make it longer for the sights to allign.

I beg to differ..

Red Orchestra 2 - Weapon Recoil - YouTube

0:57 - Notice how he sprint towards the enemy and then instantly stop and draw his gun.

0:36 - Notice how he use the cover system. Notice how fast he peeks out, and especially in. Look at the weapon sight. He's moving his gun like he did it with a mouse. No weight, no momentum.

0:42 - He goes out from cover and quickaim less than a second.

This doesn't feel natural. It work well in cod but not in this game imo. In terms of realism it just needs improvement. The weapon seems to be made out of paper. There is no feel of weight to them. The movement isn't smooth like it would, instead it's twitchy, because there is no momentum to control when you wave it around. It's the same thing with the cover system. You can stand agianst a wall, peek out, and get perfect aim in one single movement in less than a second.

Upvote 0
0:57 - Notice how he sprint towards the enemy and then instantly stop and draw his gun.

Lack of movement momentum is an other issue, which I agree must be dealt with.

0:36 - Notice how he use the cover system. Notice how fast he peeks out, and especially in. Look at the weapon sight. He's moving his gun like he did it with a mouse. No weight, no momentum.

Fair enough, that should be slowed down, but not by much. If you try that in real life with a heavy stick, you are only a little bit slower. (note: I'm not talking about perfect alignment, just getting it in 'ready' mode).

Upvote 0
Did anyone here play Nuclear Dawn over the free weekend on Steam? The momentum of movement in that game feels amazing, you stop fast but not instantly, basically you take a hard step down and stop, you don't just suddenly stop moving your legs like in RO2.
Posts like this just confuse me with how objectively incorrect they are. Nuclear Dawn has much less inertia than what RO2 has. ND has less than half the time to reach full speed from standing than RO2 does and it barely affects direction changing at all, while in RO2, doing a 180 while running leaves you almost a full second of dead time stopped. Try to pull off the same sort of evasives in RO2 that are common in ND, and you'll immediately see the difference.

I suspect you're approaching RO2 with preconceptions about how to play it rather than actually putting it through its paces.

Upvote 0
Posts like this just confuse me with how objectively incorrect they are. Nuclear Dawn has much less inertia than what RO2 has. ND has less than half the time to reach full speed from standing than RO2 does and it barely affects direction changing at all, while in RO2, doing a 180 while running leaves you almost a full second of dead time stopped. Try to pull off the same sort of evasives in RO2 that are common in ND, and you'll immediately see the difference.

I suspect you're approaching RO2 with preconceptions about how to play it rather than actually putting it through its paces.
You only incur the slow down from turning in RO2 when you do a full 180 as fast as possible. Try it out for yourself, flick your mouse once to do a 180 and you'll slow down, twice and you won't.

ND has more inertia compared to the rest of its movement mechanics, RO2 has very little inertia when you compare it to how much weight you carry and how fast you are.

Upvote 0
ND has more inertia compared to the rest of its movement mechanics, RO2 has very little inertia when you compare it to how much weight you carry and how fast you are.
Well, sure, when the Stealth class can sprint and hop around at two to three times what the RO2 guys top out at, any inertia on it at all is going to feel like it's big, along with the generally much faster pace of combat in Nuclear Dawn exaggerating the subjective sense of movement delays. It's still a lot smaller. In ND I spaz out like mad while trying to land Avenger headshots on similarly spazzy targets, and in RO2 I still occasionally get hung up on doorways by the inertia if I'm checking the map while moving ;)

Also, RO2 soldiers don't carry much weight or move that fast, so I'm not sure what you're expecting from a realism perspective. Most of the Soviet characters carry barely anything more than weapon and ammo, and the 5 meters / sec that the game calls a "sprint" is fairly sedate. It's not going to take anyone three seconds to build up speed to a mild jog.

Reactions: Tak and Poerisija
Upvote 0
ND did have very noticeable inertia. Perhaps you never played EXO?

Thing is, I'm not so sure the inertia is the problem. I believe the real problem is the time it takes to go from sprinting to ready. The time it takes to go from sprinting to gun up is far too short. The time it takes to go from sprinting to still seems okay. Going to ironsights from sprinting is just outright ridiculous, at least without some considerable time into lining up the sights.

If you've just sprinted with, say, one second or so, trying to bring up the sights should cause the sight to "float around" until you can actually line them up. This would be complemented with increased sway effects from low stamina. Of course, there needs to be the latter first...

Upvote 0
i also find it unrealistic how you dont suffer from ptsd.

no seriously i agree with this list. its been like 3 months and TWI hasnt even mentioned implementing a proper realism mode. i mean for f***s sake, they havent even added the option to change the voice overs or toggle ads

Just a random question: Does anyone actually use the cover system seriously? I find myself using it less and less...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For reloading I would like to see maybe some jamming animations. Bolts could be difficult to bolt after firing for a certain amount of time slowing the process down accurately. As the metal expands it makes the bolt tighter which requires more force to push back forward, resulting in practically having to hit the bolt to make it move back into its original position.

Reactions: RJ_MacReady
Upvote 0
I agree with the first post very good points, but would also like to say I enjoy RO2 as it is.

Yes and that is precisely the problem, the OP is advocating that little be changed at all because he also enjoys Ro2 as it is. But if you don't make changes, then nothing will change, and all the old RO fans who are staying away from Ro2 will continue to avoid it.

If you don't want changes to be made, then a mode that aims to make changes is obviously not aimed at you, you allready have a mode that will stay unchanged, just continue playing that if that is what you want, it will still be there, it won't go anywhere.

Sorry lads, but major changes must happen to bring back all the fans who have left, and if you don't like the changes that will be needed, then you need to accept that this mode won't be for you, just as we've had to accept that the Ro2 mode was not aimed at us, it's as simple as that.

And if TWI doesen't make major changes with this new mode, they will be wasting their time and effort, the players who found Ro2 lacking will not return for more of Ro2 but with minor tweaks, that's not enough, it would not bring back the players, it would just end up splitting the small playerbase that is still left, and nothing more (and this small a playerbase cannot afford to be split).

Upvote 0
Yes and that is precisely the problem, the OP is advocating that little be changed at all because he also enjoys Ro2 as it is. But if you don't make changes, then nothing will change, and all the old RO fans who are staying away from Ro2 will continue to avoid it.

If you don't want changes to be made, then a mode that aims to make changes is obviously not aimed at you, you allready have a mode that will stay unchanged, just continue playing that if that is what you want, it will still be there, it won't go anywhere.

Sorry lads, but major changes must happen to bring back all the fans who have left, and if you don't like the changes that will be needed, then you need to accept that this mode won't be for you, just as we've had to accept that the Ro2 mode was not aimed at us, it's as simple as that.

And if TWI doesen't make major changes with this new mode, they will be wasting their time and effort, the players who found Ro2 lacking will not return for more of Ro2 but with minor tweaks, that's not enough, it would not bring back the players, it would just end up splitting the small playerbase that is still left, and nothing more (and this small a playerbase cannot afford to be split).
was there a poll on how many ro ost fans don't play the game because it's too different? i never saw one. how many people do you think are not playing because it's not ro ost with better graphics?

Upvote 0
The RO community have spoken and 50% of everybody
But the real problem which make it hard to hit running target is strafeing.
You are able to strafe left and right while sprinting, which is totally
unpossible.
You can try it right now. And if somebody is able to post a
video where he is sprinting full speed and is able to strafe without losing
balance, i promise to make custom maps for you 24/7 rest of my life.
So strafe keys should be disabled while sprinting, and used for glance
to left and right.

THIS. Guy is running straight onto you, you can't miss, then all of the sudden he inexplicably cuts across some ungodly direction at an impossible speed, and you miss. Irked me so badly.

Upvote 0

It would be interesting to see how many roost players play RO2, I played roost myself admittedly for fewer hours than most, but this realism you are so keen to see was it in roost? I don't see it as so different to RO2.

It is better to make small changes and gauge how those changes have worked, making huge changes make things very difficult to judge, also big changes are even more likely to split the community further. The small changes route will hopefully drag all into it.

As I stated in my post realism is very difficult to implement in a game but even if they made a mode more extreme then the the first poster is calling for then I would try it and see if I liked it.

Players who alter there graphics settings so there are no shadows in building, so when they look into a window they can see everything easily in a room, is that realistic.

Upvote 0