• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Program to compare files?

mat69

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2006
Hello!

I have a problem:
I have a lot of MP3s, oggs etc. in different directories on different HDs. Now I want to sync them, so that I do not have duplicates.

So do you know a program, that searches for the same files in different directories, lists them and gives the option to delete all duplicates that are located in a certain directory?

Then put them all in the same folder on the same HDD. The duplicates ought to be near each other in named arrangement.

That said, you still CAN use the windows search feature to bring up ALL mp3s on every disk you've got, all in the same results field. Just search all your HDDs and directories for any .mp3 file period. Then go through them all and delete duplicates.

*.mp3

Upvote 0
@Jank, I know wildcards, but this is no option with a few thousand files, your solution would take hours. Especially with a lot of files that have similar file names but different sizes.

@Gnomer Pyle thanks for the link.

What I did now - after looking at different apps - was using a feature of Speed Commander File Search I overlooked. It offers the option to search for identical files, so I searched for identical files in the one folder and then in the other, after deleting them I searched in both folders at the same time. Worked like a charm. :)

Thanks for your answers!

Upvote 0