• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Preventing things from popping in.

Maizel

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2011
Quick question.

I've heard something about a console command that will prevent things from popping in and textures from changing when zooming in, 'cull', something. I;m having troubles finding the thread in question.

Could anyone tell me the command?

If I totally misunderstood the command's uses, then disregard this. :p

Thanks in advance, guys.

[TW]redeye
user_online.gif

reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif

Just to clear up some confusion regarding this setting.

1. Umbra culling affects how objects that are not visible to you are culled out before they are sent to the GPU for rendering. This is a draw call optimization, but just figuring out whether something should be rendered or not is not a cheap calculation, and can at times prove more expensive than just going ahead and drawing the object itself. This is why you were seeing the performance hit.

2. The setting the game used before the last update was performance intensive. You no longer need to type 'umbra culling' on the console anymore. In the video settings menu, there is a occlusion quality setting. The game will default it to Normal, and you should not put it to high unless you are ok with the performance hit.

3. The difference between normal and high is basically - in normal if you get to very low frame rates you might see stuff pop in if you rotate your camera very quickly. High will ensure that this never happens but at a consistently higher runtime cost as you've noticed. Otherwise, there is no difference between them, and I'd recommend you keep the default setting which is normal.

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=61619&page=2[/URL]

Hope this helps

Slim

Reactions: RiccardoTheBeAst
Upvote 0
Just to clear up some confusion regarding this setting.

1. Umbra culling affects how objects that are not visible to you are culled out before they are sent to the GPU for rendering. This is a draw call optimization, but just figuring out whether something should be rendered or not is not a cheap calculation, and can at times prove more expensive than just going ahead and drawing the object itself. This is why you were seeing the performance hit.

2. The setting the game used before the last update was performance intensive. You no longer need to type 'umbra culling' on the console anymore. In the video settings menu, there is a occlusion quality setting. The game will default it to Normal, and you should not put it to high unless you are ok with the performance hit.

3. The difference between normal and high is basically - in normal if you get to very low frame rates you might see stuff pop in if you rotate your camera very quickly. High will ensure that this never happens but at a consistently higher runtime cost as you've noticed. Otherwise, there is no difference between them, and I'd recommend you keep the default setting which is normal.

I think this is the post you are looking for...

Upvote 0