• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pps43>ppsh41>ppd40

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
I doubt i'm the only person who was reluctant to use the PPS. when i looked at it, it just looks cheap, the smg of an army desperate for weapons. Though it doesnt have the high rate of fire of its brother smgs, i was amazed by the almost absent recoil it has, especially when prone. this thing, especially compared to the ppsh, has practically NO recoil whatsoever. to anyone who still only uses the ppsh or ppd, give it a try, you will be amazed. the pps is without a doubt just as good as, if not better than the mp40 which kills so many russians ingame. I dont think im ever using the other two smgs again if this thing is available on the map im in.:D

It's a shame that Hitler was so damn insane that he thought the STG was a piece of **** and completely cancelled the project early on. The people in charge of the STG project hid it from Hitler and gave some prototypes to a division and after demonstrating its monstrous killing capacity Hitler looked at it and set it at full production.

:p

Upvote 0
kabex said:
It's a shame that Hitler was so damn insane that he thought the STG was a piece of **** and completely cancelled the project early on. The people in charge of the STG project hid it from Hitler and gave some prototypes to a division and after demonstrating its monstrous killing capacity Hitler looked at it and set it at full production.

:p
Well
Neo-Nazi are we?

Upvote 0
kabex said:
Uh, I didn't mean it that way. The STG44 was a great weapon, the first of its kind, revolutionary, etc... imagine if he had never put it into production? The ak47 wouldn't exist, etc etc.

Heh, dont belive everything you read, all serious research i've seen and done myself on the area suggests that Kalishnikov did NOT base the AK-47 on the STG-44 at all, and that it is a myth and nothing more, probably started because they share some external similarities (but inside, the two are nothing alike, the STG is much more advanced than the AK!), the AK has much much more incommon with Browning, Siminov and Degtyarev designs, if anything, this is where Kalashnikov drew his inspiration (Google around for the Degtyarev RPD from 1944).

Also, the STG-44 was not the first Assault rifle, just the first to be called such, quite a few semi-auto rifles before it can arguably be called AR's as they use a scaled down rifle bullet, but some argue they dont qualify as they wont fire full-auto, but one did, and also used a detachable box-magazine, the Avtomat-Fedorova, fiering the Japanese 6.5mm Arisaka round, was developed allready in 1910, and saw service with the Russian army from 1916 to 1925.

Upvote 0
Zoring said:
Well, word has it that the main inspiration the StG gave was the shortened rifle cartridge idea, also the StG's sucess must have inspired Kalishnakov to a certain degree. Although they certainly aren't copied mechanically

Not really, the Russian army had allready decided their next weapon should fire the 7.62x39mm (they where experimenting with it at the end of the war, Siminov's SKS and Degtyarev's RPD used it before the AK), so Kalashnikov had no choice but to use that round.

It is, however, likely that the Russians decided they should go that route because of the STG, im not sure, i haven't read much about how that decition came to be.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Many people say that the PPS was the best smg of the war.

Also, I think the reason the stg44 is considered to be the first AR is becuase it has selective fire capability AND fires shortened rifle rounds.

As did the Avtomat-Fedorova.

The STG ran with the fame because:

1) it was the first to be called something new and interesting, and was very successful (the Avtomat-Fedorova suffered from reliabillity problems, preventing it from becoming Russia's main infantry weapon durring WW1, though that was actually planned!).

2) others where more obscure and little known in the west.. hell, how many of you knew there was such a thing as an "Avtomat-Fedorova" untill today?

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
2) others where more obscure and little known in the west.. hell, how many of you knew there was such a thing as an "Avtomat-Fedorova" untill today?
I've normally heard it referred to as the "Federov Avtomat", but I knew about it. Probably a few more around here have than you think, since it seems a fair number of the regulars are history buffs.

On a completely random side note, if you ask me, the TKB-408 is way cooler, but that's a 1946 design that never got past trials.

And on the original topic, I go with the PPS-43 every time that I can.

Upvote 0
Mikhail Kalashnikov said:
I doubt i'm the only person who was reluctant to use the PPS. when i looked at it, it just looks cheap, the smg of an army desperate for weapons. Though it doesnt have the high rate of fire of its brother smgs, i was amazed by the almost absent recoil it has, especially when prone. this thing, especially compared to the ppsh, has practically NO recoil whatsoever. to anyone who still only uses the ppsh or ppd, give it a try, you will be amazed. the pps is without a doubt just as good as, if not better than the mp40 which kills so many russians ingame. I dont think im ever using the other two smgs again if this thing is available on the map im in.:D

Weapons in this game are supposed to be realistic, not balanced, but they are not. Always go with the smg that has the smallest magazine size, because the devs have made them handle the best (less recoil, possibly more accurate, etc.).

Upvote 0
Moe_Rahn said:
I've normally heard it referred to as the "Federov Avtomat", but I knew about it. Probably a few more around here have than you think, since it seems a fair number of the regulars are history buffs.

On a completely random side note, if you ask me, the TKB-408 is way cooler, but that's a 1946 design that never got past trials.

And on the original topic, I go with the PPS-43 every time that I can.

Hehe, the TKB has allways striked my fancy, its just plain beutifull!

But point is, only history buffs know about any of thease interesting weapons, go google for the STG though and most sources will tell you that 1) it was the fist AR, 2) the AK was based on it.. neither of which seems true, so i try to broaden peoples horizon when i can, and hopefully some will get interested and do some research for themselves.

As for the the origional question, i go for the PPSH every time, not because its the best, it can be a handfull! and the PPS-43 is much easier to control, but because of the history behind it.

Upvote 0