• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics PPD vs PPSH vs PPS

murderous_eagle

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Well, the MP40 vs MP41 thread got me thinking. I'de like to pick the brains of the other submachinegunners floating around about what they like about their weapon of choice.

I'm a ppd fan myself. It combines accurate bursting, decent rate of fire, and the ability to accurately empty 71 rounds at medium range.

After that, I like the pps. I can't really describe it well. The gun just seems more finessed than the ppsh.

I like the PPSh. Partly because I think it's more fun to go with the iconic gun instead of the rare/early variant. Also because it seems to be more accurate than the PPD. The recoil is pretty insane but if you learn to control it the high rof is definitely an advantage. Rest it on something, the recoil dissappears and it's nearly as good as an MG42 out to medium range. Also I think sometimes you can win point blank shoot-outs just because your gun can cycle faster and put more bullets in the other guy faster than his MP40 can.

Long range maps (if I can't choose a rifle) or if I've been playing German and using the MP40 a lot I'll take the PPS. Much less recoil, which is nice if you're using short bursts at long range.

Upvote 0
I just prefer the PPSH because on most maps I don't ever really need to hit targets at range. I also find that the recoil is not usually a problem in that if you fire in about three round bursts, you still send plenty of bullets their way and you can easily and quickly adjust for the recoil after every burst.

Upvote 0
In practice there doesn't seem to be that much difference between the PPD-40 and the PPsH-41, so I generally use them interchangably on maps that have both. On later war maps I almost always opt for the PPsH though, for realism's sake, since the PPD-40's would have gotten less and less common as time went on.

As for the PPS-43, I'm like Kurtz, I use on any map I'm likely to spend a considerable amount of time fighting at medium ranges. It's just more managable.

Upvote 0
The PPSh41 is just the king of submachine guns, it may climb hard but the high firing rate gives it great hitting potential even at stupid ranges. Seriously from a prone or supported position you can lay down deadly little volleys onto targets quite far away, then stand up and get in amongst the jerries and cut them to ribbons. The only chink in it's armour is firing at mid ranges from a standing or crouched position where the recoil is too much for some people.

The PPD40 may not recoil quite as strongly and be close in firing rate but I find the PPSh has a strong upwards drag whereas the PPD has a jumpy sort of climb which is irritating. Simply said if you can learn to hold down the PPSh41 you'll find it a better dispenser of death than any of the other SMG's by quite a long way.

The PPS43 I use very little, for similar reasons that Matty uses the PPD40 less, it was never around in great numbers (though certainly it was a lot more numerous than the PPD40). I also find that while it is easier to hold down the hit potential isn't great, it seems the least accurate shot for shot of all the SMG's.

Upvote 0
PDD can be pretty accurate by I really don't like the noise of them... I quite like the PPS, but the barrel and sight is a bit big and I really can't tell where my bullets go most of the time. PPSH is good, nice sight, good rate of fire but accuracy is really an issue.

I don't know which one I prefer really... pretty pointless post I guess :eek:

Upvote 0
I use them for different applications,

I am normally a rifleman but when I do choose a smg I usually take the pps43, I make a habit of usually firing in 3-4 round bursts so the ammo count isn't really an issue for me; I just find it considerably more accurate.

I choose the PPD when I feel that there needs to be another MG in an area, It has a slower rate of fire and is really controllable when rested, so I use it like a squad automatic weapon, defending positions and advancing troops. (the drum can last a while)

I use the PPSH when I'm out of ammo and its laying there or I feel somethings about to hit the fan and I need as many bullets flying the direction of the enemy as possible:)

Upvote 0
Although i have delved into the intricate worlds of PPS-43 and PPD, i am pretty much a PPSh stalwart for a couple of reasons, ill try to give them to you the way i justify them to myself(which really works out), but the final choice really depends on your style of play.

Me, i'm not really a run n gun kind of guy because tactics like those tend to get you killed in RO, but i do like to pack a lot of action into my usual skulking around so here goes.

I tend to go with the PPSh because, lets face it, the ROF on that thing kicks ***, and when i am charging a room of german troops i like to have something that can kick, the rounds arent much individually but you basically have a miniaturte MG with you, so it works out. As for the recoil, i used to complain but eventually i just got used to it and realy dont mind too much, in fact when ur shooting multiple targets you can use that recoil to rock the gun from one to the other.

I dont usually use SMGs at any sort of range so this is hazy territory for me but ive never really seen much accuracy disparity between the two heavy drum fed ones, the PPS however, its like a sten, so i dont see the point of trying to hit anything.

PPSh would be the best for me but thats just cause it fits my style.

Upvote 0
PPS43 for me...
I rarely ever use smg's anymore... (I like to have a bolt and scavenge ANYTHING on the floor... specially STG's)

I like control. PPS43 seems comparable to the mp40 to my small amount of experience with them...

Grrr... gona orchestrate now.... time to try one of them ppsh
Havent tried those in a while

Edit
PPSH has a less recoil then what I remember...
Or maybe I am just less of a noob now... (PPSH is BRUTAL)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I haven't used the other two SMGs much, I don't think I'd be too far off in saying that the PPSH is one of the best weapons in the game. There's the obvious ROF advantage, but also the fact that this weapon, when supported, has ZERO recoil. I don't know why, and maybe it's just me, but other SMGs always still have some recoil when supported, while the PPSH has none. And the fact that you can spill out so many rounds with a perfectly steady weapon makes it decent at anything but the most extreme ranges.

Upvote 0