• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Possible change to classic?

Possible change to classic?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

akb

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
USA
I'm glad to hear changes have been made and are being made to classic mode. Some of us wondered why the Ro1/DH IS system got so revamped.

Regarding removing all zoom, there were significant problems with this when we tested it in the original RO2 beta. The zoom level used to be a player configurable option that could be used to completely remove the zoom. The problem is that it was incompatible with our free aim system. So when the zoom is removed, at certain aspect ratios and resolutions your weapon will not shoot where it is aimed. We put significant effort into resolving this issue, and no resolution could be found within the time that we had.

Adding free aim in IS came at a high price the way implemented. I've always felt that the way it's currently functioning is unrealistic.

So just so you are aware, this is not a simple matter of just "flipping a switch". Rather there are some complex mathematical problems that would need to be solved to get this to work properly. This is why it was removed during the beta development of the game. Now some of you will respond and say "but I play Dibblers mod and I don't have any problems". That is quite possible, as only certain aspect ratios and resolutions are affected by this issue. But we did not feel it was fair to make something official that would cause certain players to be unable to hit where they were aiming.

Irl, when looking down the IS, your fov moves with the IS NOT separately. To represent free aim properly there should be a button that releases you from the IS but still keeps you ready to lock right back in with the IS when ready to fire. There should also be an underlying presence of the avatars body movements when in IS, which I think the game almost captures. When you move the IS to the left an the right it should move at the same speeds while the IS is locked to the center of the screen. But when the avatar reaches the upper bodies movement level limitation, the IS should slow down. Once the gun has been positioned the speed of IS should resume normal speed because the avatar in real life would have repositioned his lower body to conform the upper body IS movements. Doing this would essentially fix the problem and allow for zoom to be disabled* with no ill effect.

IS= Iron sight...
*This is adjustable of course. I really like how DH did it. Only "one zoom".

This would help bring back the RO1 feel while improving on it. I propose this for classic mode.