• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Positional Audio for crying out loud

Kanzer

Aug 19, 2012
Incorporating *Edit* '3D Positional Audio/Voip (Voice Chat based on proximity to players; aka real life chat)' would make this a whole new game.

There is so much I want to say but cannot as it is location specific; so much is lost on a tactical level.

Also I know this has been brought up before but it feels like a feature that nobody talks about and everybody would use, if they knew it existed (And maybe didn't have to deal with 3rd party software).

Last edited:
Perhaps someone can work mumble into the game?
Of course. What about the other 60 people in the server who don't use it, don't know it exists and won't even understand the purpose of it?

The OP is poorly worded though. It should be titled something like "3D positional VOIP", it's hard to understand we are talking about voice chat as opposed to game sounds such as footsteps etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've mentioned this in an other post before, but here are some examples how 3D VOIP would be useful

Imagine spawning and running up to the front line where u meet up with others already in combat who give you an up-to-date of what's going on, for example: " watch to your left there's a machine gunner down the street" or " watch out for the sniper on the top left floor as u cross the street" .

An other good example would be the team work 3 or 4 players would do in clearing out a building !! " You grab the left room and i get the right one, but first toss a grenade on the count of 3....1-2-3 !! "

Upvote 0
Positional audio in what sense?

I don't know if it's just me but personally I noticed the gunshots I hear often don't come from the correct direction. Don't know if this is a bug, bad audio from me or something else.

"Voice Chat based on proximity to players" - Kanzer

In other words, a voice chat where only players close to you can hear you and vice versa.

Upvote 0
If it is implemented, there should be some caveats for the sake of gameplay.

For instance, regardless of distance, everyone should always hear the team leader and their own squad leader. Team leader should always hear his squad leaders.

Yes, but communication from players far away should have a little "radio sound" to them, to differentiate between close conversations and someone across the map

Upvote 0
So squad voice chat wouldn't be positional then?
Correct. Project Reality does this well and I think it's the optimal method.
You have local chat for people around you, you have squad chat to talk to the members of your squad if they aren't near you, and you have a button to talk to the commander, a button to talk to other squad leaders and a button for public voice chat. All achieved through Mumble.

Upvote 0