• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poor performance with High End Rig

Knil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
Hey everyone I was wondering if you know what could be causing my performance issues. I hover around 60 (fps cap with vsync) half the time but the other time it fluctuates all over the place and can even get down into the high 20s.

My Rig:
core i7 960 3.2 OC'ed to 3.8 GHz
evga sli le x58 mobo
zotac gtx 580 OC'ed to 825 MHz
corsair SSD 120 GB
corsair 750W PSU

This really doesn't make any sense when I can max out BF3 with everything on ultra and keep an easy 50+ fps. Both games have 64 player servers, fps, but BF3 even has some destruction and looks much better.

When I monitor my gpu usage I notice during the low end performance my gpu usage drops down to 50%, the other time it is at 88% at 60 fps cap.

Reactions: aD.Luoson
Searching on these forums (support section) would reveal that your issue is a fairly common one.

It is no secret that RO2 has had optimization issues since launch. The devs indicate they are still working hard at nailing down more such issues.

Also, saying how BF3 looks better etc. etc. will not help in you getting some "helpful" responses to your query.

Upvote 0
So wait, what kind of settings you are using? How much AA?
You sure none of your components is overheating?

I am using the ultra preset at 1920x1200. With my comp specs I would hope that I qualify for ultra.

I have speedfan running on my second monitor at all times and my temps were all good when I was playing, if anything they were low because RO2 for some reason doesn't want to always use my GPU all the time.

Also, saying how BF3 looks better etc. etc. will not help in you getting some "helpful" responses to your query.

Are you honestly going to tell me that isn't a true statement? Unless I need to go see my eye doctor that statement is pretty much irrefutable imo.

Just because the graphics are better doesn't mean the gameplay is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey everyone I was wondering if you know what could be causing my performance issues. I hover around 60 (fps cap with vsync) half the time but the other time it fluctuates all over the place and can even get down into the high 20s.

My Rig:
core i7 960 3.2 OC'ed to 3.8 GHz
evga sli le x58 mobo
zotac gtx 580 OC'ed to 825 MHz
corsair SSD 120 GB
corsair 750W PSU

This really doesn't make any sense when I can max out BF3 with everything on ultra and keep an easy 50+ fps. Both games have 64 player servers, fps, but BF3 even has some destruction and looks much better.

When I monitor my gpu usage I notice during the low end performance my gpu usage drops down to 50%, the other time it is at 88% at 60 fps cap.

No man, it's you. TWI made this jesuslike game for us to enjoy and it runs like butter. It's not them, shame on you, go get a better rig for christ sakes! Damn some people are so ungrateful when it comes to paying for a mailfunctioned product :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Testing

Testing

I have a bit of confusion regarding performance and sound issues.

(I felt like doing a new thread but this one is nice, obvious and in general that gets more attention)

RO2 uses xaudio I think and if I understand correctly... it's all on the cpu.

Because of this, Audio card theoretically does not matter at all... Right ?

Yet some people report to have seen a big difference in performance by adding an audio card...

Anyone has any idea why ?

I do love the game, recently upgraded my Rig a little...

Phenom965 + Asus M3A78-EM + 4gig ram + GTX260
Ran great

Phenom 965 + GA-990X-UD3 + 8Gig ram + Radeon 5850 nicely overclocked

Slightly higher graphics, framerate can go from 90 to 1.. average 30-40
Still very playable and enjoyable... but I know I should get better.

Would a soundcard change anything ?
Can anyone confirm that they have had a difference ?

For the hell of it I just ordered myself this
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wcFuNdxM0I4Sf10X&content=specifications
44$ + shipping

Looking forward to see if it makes a difference... a magical confusing difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a bit of confusion regarding performance and sound issues.

I doubt it would make anything better, because RO2 does in fact employ cpu based sound. Post your results, good or bad, because I'll try almost anything at this point.

Upvote 0
what soundcard do you have?

It sounds kinda weird that it should make a difference, but if your using your onboard sound then it probably sucks like most of them(realtek crap).
If you can try a creative, auzentech or maybe asus, you might see a performance increase(10+ fps).. i did when i installed my old Audigy 2 card.
FPS will get fairly low on full 64 player servers, it seems a lot more playable for me.

Upvote 0
I have a powerfull (and costly) AMD/ATI setup and I run a constant 30-50fps (59 when standing still) and usualy hover around 60-250 ping (high ping when bad ofcourse) and I am able to enjoy the game fully on awesome ultra settings and not have a single problem in game as far as performance.

Though I expected better.

Upvote 0

For the hell of it I just ordered myself this
[url]http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wcFuNdxM0I4Sf10X&content=specificatio[/URL]ns
44$ + shipping

Looking forward to see if it makes a difference... a magical confusing difference.

a soundcard might increase the quality in playback a little bit,depending on which model u choose,but it wouldnt have helped much on game performancein RO2.

also personally i think xonar dg is a better choice over ds,since ds is lacking dolby headphone which might enhance ur listening experience on gaming and movies.

Upvote 0
Try this:

update Nvidia driver to 285.62

get nvidia inspector utility.

use it to formulate this profile for RO2:

Sli compatibility bits (DX10) 0x00000011

Sli compatibility bits 0x00000011

AA-mode override any application setting

AA-setting 2x (2x Multisampling)

AA-Transparency Multisampling Enabled

AA-Transparency Supersampling Off/ Multisampling

Text filtering-Anisotropic sample opt. OFF

Text filtering-Negative LOD Bias Clamp

Text filtering-Quality Quality

Text filtering-Trilinear opt. OFF

Max pre-rendered frames 3

Multi-display/mixed-GPUacceleration Single display performance mode

Power management mode Adaptive

Treaded optimization Auto

Triple buffering OFF

Vertical Sync Force on

Sli : -

AA-SliAA AA MODE SELECTOR SLIAA ENABLED

Number of GPU's to use Sli SLI_GPU_COUNT_TWO

NVIDIA predefined No.GPU's SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_DX10_TWO

NVIDIA predefined No. GPU's SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_TWO

NVIDIApredefined SLI mode DX10 SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_DX10_FORCE_AFR

NVIDIA predefined Sli mode SLI_PREDEFINED_MOED_FORCE_AFR

SLI rendering mode SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR

Using this with vsync will keep you at 60fps, and rarely below 45.

Using this without vsync will get you peak fps near 80.

A system like yours should never dip below the 40s using this formula.

Upvote 0
I have around 100-120(limited) fps on small servers. DOF off, MLAA ultra, most other stuff off/low, textures, lighting and world on medium-high. Hardware is in my sig and I had the same fps without the cpu overclock. So yeah, the game should run better for the op :)

I'd put MLAA on medium/low and other stuff on high/ultra except for shadows. This should provide a much nicer looking game.

Upvote 0