• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Ponyri Beta 3

Sichartshofen

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Download:
http://www.maporchestra.com/downloads/p13_sectionid/23/p13_fileid/334

Beta 3 changelog:
- Added temporary Russian spawn at the hill when the map starts - 30 seconds
- Moved German spawns further back
- Removed PzIV F1
- Added 1 more half track to each German spawn
- Completely rebuilt hill trenches
- Hill capzone is now inside the trenches
- Optimized the station and hill
- Extended the village by 15 more ruined houses
- Additional spawn protection and cover added
- Adjusted height of boards on the school house windows

Screenshots:

No tanks at all now?

Please, change the name of the map already, it ain't a battle at Ponyri by a longshot.

I am sorry to say, but I have to agree with Mike. I am not trying to knock the map, but it really does not have that feel I would think Ponyri would have. If I get more time (damn having to go to work), I will try to post more creative suggestions. Map still has good possiblities, but needs more time. :)

------------------
~ edit ~

I find I do have a few minutes:

Some comments:

HILL
- The expanded trench area looks better. Might I suggest on the flanks, extend the trenches a bit and taper them off. It will give the illusion of a wider front. Also, the trenches probably don't have to be that much in depth (but that might just be me)
- Too many dead or winter like trees on the hill. With the warmer weather, I would think the trees would have leaves on them. Variate the trees, some with leaves, maybe one or two without. Maybe knock one over near a shell hole.
- I would lower the terrain slightly in front of the hill. It looks like some of it is as high as the hill itself. Lower it a bit would look better and still give a crouching or prone German some cover.

Also, I do believe you should have a tank or two (or assault guns) for the Germans and consider at least an SU or at guns for the Russians. Just enough for support but not so much that you loose your focus on the infantry aspect of the battle. Combined arms if you will with a focus on the infantry (as you said you wanted)

However this map progresses, I imagine any map based on Ponyri should have a very tough struggle. Allow for counter attacks and at least 30 minutes for the struggle. Up the cap times if you have too. A fierce but short battle it should NOT be. Just my opinion.

Will post more later....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
?

?

Good job on removing the tank! A definite step in the right direction :)

Real history buff, huh? The tank presence in this battle was overwhelming. To not include it is very disappointing to me. This would be a historical epic battle with dynamic gameplay. It is just another infantry map with a different background now (Basovka).

Please consider opening up the map and putting the tanks in, to do the map and the battle justice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The map is more balanced without the tank. That's the way it stays. The Russians aren't getting steam roled in 5 minutes anymore.

OK... after all, it is your map. But ask some of the guys who played it on our server.... they hammered the Germans and their tank with Arty to no end. Time ran out before the steamroller got "rolling". Ponyri as "infantry only' is simply put, not for me.

Upvote 0
Dude Im a bonified tank commander. But if this guy insists on using the name of a classic infantry only mod map, then I think we should take away tanks!!!

Its too fcuk*** easy for the germans on this map as it is ffs :rolleyes:

I don't know where you play.... but obviously, we played on different servers. Ask our regulars if the Russians were easily beaten if ever. Now, with the Tanks gone. It is not Ponyri.. The name is misleading.

I refuse to place a map named Ponyri, with all that it connotates, in our rotation... leading people to expect a major, Combined Arms Battle and instead, they get a "sandbox foot soldier skirmish".

Upvote 0
Whatever.

You obviously didnt play the mod.

And...... that means what? I am not entitled to an opinion because I ain't part of the "old regime"?? That makes calling this "sandbox foot soldier skirmish" map "Ponyri" perfectly alright? That's wrong and misleading in my book. Ponyri by all historical accounts... was a Combined Arms Battle that was huge by any standards. This map portrays something far less than Ponyri could have ever been. It should be renamed. That map is NOT Ponyri.

Upvote 0
Dude why dont you learn how to map & make a map thats 'historically accurate' as a tribute to the real Ponyri then?

This map is a tribute to the mod map mmkaaaaay?

Ya know, I just might.... I realized I was going to get this type of zero answer.

"Ya don't like it?? - Make yer own!! Yep, that solves everything. NOT!!

The map is still tragically inaccurate. In fact, its an insult to history and those who fought there altogether. Tribute?? hahahahah To what? That's a REACH! Sich's original work in the map is excellent. Why must it be marred by this "its Ponyri but its really not Ponyri but you can pretend its Ponyri" nonsense.

Well folks, now you see both sides of the coin; The "Historically Accurate Buffs" suddenly look the other way when they want it "their way". But heaven forbid some newcomer come up with a map where the weapons and/or vehicles in it are 'not quite' historically accurate... I can hear the lamenting now. In essence, what you are saying is a map can be "anything and named anything", no matter how misleading, as long as the rationale for the map fits.

Please, change the name from Ponyri. Its misleading and wrong. But its no big deal, such is life. Different strokes, for different folks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0