• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poll: What do you prefer: 3D voices or not.

Poll: What do you prefer: 3D voices or not.

• Total voters

zeep

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
*Update. Request to make a mutator for 3D voices can be found here.*

Just a poll out of curiosity.

Your team's voice commands always play 'in your head'. Somebody yelling grenade, somebody calling for ammo, all these commands play 'in your head' regardless of that person's location in the map. He may be far away, he may be next to you.

3D voices means you hear your own teammembers like you hear the enemy's voices. When they talk/shout you immediately hear where the voice is coming from, if you're near enough that is. So when the MG shouts for ammo, you can hear where he's calling from, and run towards him. Same goes for players yelling grenade, you'll be able to hear if it's near you or far away.

A third choice is to make it optional in-game.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Yes, I don't care if it loads up more network stuff.

And while they're at it, they might also fix the ninja tanks.

Yes, I know it's done because of network limitations.
But I'd personally have rather this then 50 player-servers.

You're comparing apples and oranges Henry.

The 50 player support is only applicable to very good servers on very powerfull lines. Servers that could just handle 32 will NOT be able to have 50 players all of a sudden with this patch. So it's not as simple as increasing the radius of tank sounds which will affect ALL servers (each tank is multiple channels minimum, and if only even 1 tank gets relevant to all 32 players on a small map it adds 64 channels minimum on a 200 channel budget!). Regular servers that perform ok now will crumble when we do this and the player numbers on those servers will have to be decreased even when we do this. You know that.

In the case of 50 player support, only servers that can handle that will be able to switch to that, while regular 32 player servers will still be functioning properly.

Upvote 0
personally i like knowing that the mg needs ammo or my team needs help in areas of the map i might not otherwise see. It helps me to be a better team player. yes it detracts from the "realism" of the game a small bit in the same way voip or teamspeak do. but it doesnt affect the immersion for me.

*disclaimer* these are just my opinions and are absolutly worthless*DONT_SHOOT

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree with this one, performance permitting - 3d voice with enviromental effects is great on Vietcong.
Thought about the choice option, but went for 1 - cos phaps better to be sure who it is you're talking to all the time, and get in that habit.

I would like a 'say to all' voice channel for everyone, with 3d voice as the only other option with infantry
In vehicles you would get a choice of 'team' (all other friendly vehicles) and 'local' (just your felow occupants and no-one outside)
Phaps a SL could also communicate with tanks as well using local.
It may not be realisitic, but i think it could work well for the game.

Upvote 0
"As the nades they rained down"
by [ODIN]cart

He ran through the mist
He climbed up tall stairs
He raided and killed
and caused great dispair
He heard lots o' shoutin'
as the nades they rained down
and ran for his life
so the nades nothing found

Angry and shaking
he fired up a storm
of bullets and nading
as the sun rays looked on
but hasted away
For a last cap' was bound

But the world 'round him trembled
The yelling got loud
as the fighting as ever
was bitter and proud
and BOOM!, lost his life
when he lost 3D sound

Upvote 0
As if going back to something they allready had would take that much time. Or do you think that it will cost them months of testing? :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised.

Anyway it's not about what was before only what TWI have stated.

Either way in-game voice menus are so limiting so what's the big deal. Admittedly I don't play much public in any of the games I play so I use TS/Vent. When I do occasionally play public I never use the voice menus I use VOIP instead as it's not as restrictive.

In my opinion voice menus have always been a gimmick...a side show of a side show

Upvote 0