• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please Tripware, don't ruin this game as you did with RO2 at the beginning

Celonius

May 25, 2010
Hi. First of all, sorry if you don't understand something, english is not my native language.

I've been a Red Orchestra player since you developed the first Red Orchestra, when the saga was not as well known as today. I really enjoyed your game because I was tired of being Rambo in Call of Duty and Battlefield. I'm a big fan of belic games and the realism, and I know that COD or BF are not realist. Maybe those games have tons of kids playing, but the gamplay is not realistic, and the community is ****. In those games, you run in the battlefield like Rambo, you can be hitted by some shoots and still alive and still killing like Rambo. You can run, jump, and shooting in the same time, with crosshair. Well, I think than everybody who played CoD and BF knows what I mean.

Thats why I'm playing your games, the Red Orchestra/Rising Storm saga. Is realistic, and has nothing in common with CoD or BF.

When you released Red Orchestra 2, in 2010, at first I was very excited because I wanted more games like Red Orchestra 1 with better graphics and physics, but Do you remember guys how it was the release Red Orchestra 2? How it was RO2 at the beginning? Do you remember how they developed a game like Call of Duty with crosshair? I think that maybe they wanted to earn money like EA or Activision, and they though that introducing in their markets they will achieve that. The community of Red Orchestra was very dissapointed and everyone showed on the forums.

We were disappointed, because you have became a saga which differed from commercial games like COD or BF, in a clone of those games just to make money.

Luckily the community responded and sent you to hell (no offense). Then, you went back to the beginning, to Red Orchestra 1 gameplay, to the realistic gameplay, introducing realistic mode and even the classic mode (for the most radical who wanted the same experience as RO1). You kept the arcade mode (action mode), but nobody play this mode because people don't want to play an arcade game like CoD or BF with crosshair. Well, after you correct your error introducing realism and classic mode, the game was improved, the player base of Red Orchestra were back and everything was good and okay like today.

So I ask you, please, do not do the same strategy with Rising Storm 2. Do not do an arcade game. Do not do a game like COD or BF because you will fall into the same error, your loyal player base will leave, and the COD or BF players will play only until a new COD/BF with better graphics will be released. After that, your game will be a fail like RO2 did it at the beginning (luckly, you corrected that introducing realism and classic modes).

So, do not do odd mix, simply follow the path of good, simply follow the same way as you did with the first Red Orchestra, and the introduction of realism and classic modes in Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm. Your player base may not be as big as COD or BF, you may not should gain as much money as EA or Activision, but you have one of the best war games, unique, different, realistic, it is like playing the WWII. People don't play your games because graphics, people play your games because are unique. And I want the same with Rising Storm 2 in Vietnam. Keep that because it's what best you have and what makes you so great.

If you preserve the true saga, if you follow this way, I always will buy your games.

Sincerely, a fan of the Red saga.

Last edited:
Realistic mode was in RO2 from day 1 and Classic mode was released with Action mode in the same update, not after. All they tried to do was give a mode for everyone to play, even if some of those modes aren't really played(Realistic is still by far the most played mode, not Action or Classic).

I never had much problem with the gameplay in RO2 having played it since beta, and things like weapon sway and suppression(and general game performance) were improved over time. Even back then it was significantly different from other shooters like Call of Duty.

I find it pretty strange that many want to demonize the practice of giving players options in terms of game modes because that's all they are, options. It's not like they ever forced anyone to play Action mode. In the end the community decides what it likes and doesn't like, which is exactly what happened in RO2. I don't see the issue.

Upvote 0
Adding action mode was a desperate measure to get people play the game. However: the servers that ran action mode were gone the moment the GOTY weekend was over. No one wanted this cross hairs stuff.

RO Mod and Ostfront had awesome hand grenades, you threw them into the room and everyone in there was dead or severely wounded.
I remember playing RO2 for the first time on Barracks, throwing a nade into one of the "cages" of the NCO Barracks as I had seen several Soviets running in there, I heard the explosion and rushed in just to be greeted by the same Soviets I presumed dead by my hand grenade. Epic fail.

I also experienced this on the receiving end by having a nade land right under me, however all that happened to me was, that I was pushed away a few meters. Epic fail (again).

When looking at the RO2 trailer when the Soviets are running under mortar fire, the Germans advancing in Apartments and I look at the game we have now, I feel like I am playing a different game.

If the helicopters and all the model animations (facial, "under fire ducking" etc) we saw in RS2's reveal trailer are not in the game from start this would be a clear false advertisement. It's like a sexy hot woman you start dating and fall in love and then you find out during first intercourse "****, that chick has a dick!" :eek:

Furthermore as I mentioned several times now: First person body is certainly up to date, RO2 claimed on its DVD cover to be next-gen missed it however. Crysis in 2007 already featured this.
Napalm attacks need to devastate the environment. If a vegetation is not affected by napalm attacks, the game will fail.

Upvote 0