• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

how2skate_com

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
How about a "play dead" button? Press it and you appear to be dead, press it again and you regain your controls.

It could be a nice feature, when you feel overpowered/surrounded you can play dead and wait for backup.

It would be a realistic feature, not for heavy use, but in some instances it could be usefull. :)

Thanks for those links, and sorry for restarting the discussion.

However, I don't think you can conclude that it would be a bad idea. I read both positive and negative arguments, so I don't think it would be bad to bring up some fresh arguments.

Positive:
+ It's realistic
+ It adds strategic possibilities (important to a lot of players who want more tactical freedom)
+ It's proven to work in plenty of other games
+ It will make the game a bit slower (you need to doublecheck and move slower) => another feature frequently asked by players

Also to counter some negative reactions beforehand:
- Obviously you cant shoot while playing dead, perhaps even with more limitations.

- It cannot be used for ambushes, as people will double-check fresh corpses.

- Corpses disappear pretty fast, so you don't have to double check *every* body. If you see a corpse that doesn't disappear, it might be worth popping a bullet into.

Upvote 0
Like I said there aren't that many dead bodies usually, as they disappear quite fast. It would slow the game down a little, as you need to clear everything more carefully. But in my opinion, slowing the game down is a good thing.

And I don't think it would be overused, hell you could even make it so that you almost can't see while playing dead. It's something that could only be usefull in very few situations, but nevertheless it would be nice to have the option.

Upvote 0
@Mekhazzio: interesting post, what's your source on that? :)

@Grenadier_Scionti: First I don't think anyone is following orders at the moment, at least not on public server. In clan games it's a different story, but then clan members should know better than ignoring orders.

Also there are many stories about soldiers playing dead, it's not just hollywood. I wouldn't say it was a commonly used tactic, but it won't be used that much ingame either, because you're so limited while playing dead.

Upvote 0
Ever played a match on server with no death notifications? Like the ones in Ro1 like -FK- something? It really adds to realism imo not knowing if you really killed the targer, wounded, or just missed. If you add the ability to play dead, it would be very cool!

Also, you should explain exactly HOW the soldiers should look maybe? I mean graphically. Maybe prone with heads down in the dirt? Maybe dropping the rifle near them? Or you plan to keep the rifle in your hand as a dead? In real war, I'd shoot a dead still grabbing his rifle, unless i can clearly see fatal wounds (no head... no chest... that kind of things)

Anyway, I vote yes for this feature, even if its not an urgent one.

Reactions: how2skate_com
Upvote 0
I would also like this feature. As said before, it's been in other games and I liked it then. So 'it's fun until you play with it' doesn't hold true.

It's more likely it was removed because it slowed down the pace of the game and they were trying to make it faster. Which is my biggest issue with RO2, it plays too fast.

But it's also quite likely that it just didn't work because of bodies disappearing too fast meaning you could pretty much always know it was a player feigning death and it was therefore useless.

Reactions: how2skate_com
Upvote 0
Perhaps slightly off topic but why do the corpses have to disappear at all? For added realism why not leave the bodies where they fall for the entire length of the match?

They take system powers, having 500 bodies littered around the map is not what devs would call, good use of CPU.
I am also pretty sure bodies are only loaded in client side, so they don't get loaded in the server.

Upvote 0