• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Piss poor upgrade on a budget

monkeyfarmer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I need some advice on a very poor man's upgrade. Please read this (I know it is long...sorry) and offer some helpful advice (other than 'get a better job than the one you have, forget your family's needs and spend $2000 on a new computer). Okay, so here is my story in a nut shell. I had a bunch of money saved up for a new PC a while ago, but my whole family, inluding myself, ran into really bad money troubles. So now my savings and a big chunk of my earnings is going to help out. It is going to be a while before I can ever save up enough money to be spending $2,000 on a computer again, and while I would normally not consider just upgrading my old computer on a budget as it would be a waste of money, I have to do something because my PC is really obsolete. I cannot wait to save up the money to buy an all new machine. I've decided I wan't to spend a few hundred dollars to upgrade my machine and make it a slightly less obsolete computer. I know I'll never be playing Bioshock or Crysis on it, but that is okay...I'm not even really itching to play those games anyway. I just want to improve my performance in RO and be able to play the Half-Life 2 Orange Box when it comes out next month. Sytem specs for the Orange Box are here.

I can already meet the minimum system specs with my computer by the looks of it. Here is my machine:

Asus A7N 8X motherboard (socket 754 - DDR 1 Ram - AGP 8X vid card)
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ CPU (I'm not sure how many Gigahertz it is)
1 Gig Ram (half DDR 400mhz, other half is like only 133 mhz or something)
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT with 256mb memory (a directX 9 card)
WD 120Gig 7200rpm IDE HDD
LG DVD-Rom/CD-RW combo drive
Onboard sound built into motherboard.

I can already play RO, albeit not as well as most of you. I can also presumably play HL2:Ep2/Portal/TF2, but probably not too well.

I'm not a computer expert, so please bare with. I'd like to upgrade my CPU, but I don't think they made much of anything for the old 754 socket that would be better than the CPU I have now. (even older than 939 socket...that is old as ****). If I were to upgrade the CPU, I'd probably have to upgrade the Motherboard as well, and that would just bring the price up too high for what I can afford, because I'd be stuck buying all new parts for a new motherboard. I'd have to buy new ram, a new vid card, new cpu, new powersupply, new everything. Maybe I'd be better off just leaving it alone and concentrate on the other weak links in my system, the old slow ram, and my old video card. Remember, I only want to play RO and play the Orange Box...I don't have to play Crysis. I took the 'Game-o-meter' test in the link to the Orange Box system requirements link above, and it seemed to indicate that my old DX9 card was the weakest link. So maybe the cheapest and best upgrade for very little money would be a memory upgrade and a new vid card.

My memory is dived into two ram sticks...one old, the other paleolithic. My understanding is that because I've mixed to different speeds of ram, the 400 Mhz ram is being slowed down to match the older stuff. It's still one Gig of ram...just slow. For $75 I could get this 1Gig Kingston DDR 400Mhz ram. I was thinking I could throw out the really old 512Mb of slow ram, and pair up the other 512Mb of DDR 400 with the new 1 Gig stick. That would give me 1.5 Gigs of ram. Would a 512 and a 1 Gig stick pair up properly without a conflict?

The next problem to fix would be the video card. PCI-E is the way to go with video cards, but I cannot spend the money on a new Motherboard and end up getting a whole new computer. They still make a few video cards for AGP, and I was thinking about going with the Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650Pro with 512mb of memory. It may not be great, but it sure would be better than what I have now. Remember, accordin to these guys, my vid card was the weakest link in my computer. The only problem that I can think of with my getting an X1650Pro, is that my power supply unit would probably have to be upgraded. What would you suggest? Keeping in mind that I wan't to save money, but also not by a PSU that will burst into flames because it was too darned cheap. Would this work okay?

So that sums it up...I'm thinking some "new" ram, "new" vid card, and a new power supply to power the new vid card. After taxes and installation I think it would cost just a little over $300. What do you think? Would I notice any improvement in performance to Red Orchestra with an upgrade like that? Would I get better performance in Half-Life 2: Episode 2? I know it is a really pathetic upgrade, but I really don't want to wait for a year before I can buy a new PC. I'd kinda like to have a computer capable of playing Episode 2 and Team Fortress 2 when they come out next month.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I'm sorry this was such a long post. Most forums out there would probably be full of people offering no advice and stupid critisism. People tend to complain whenever I post a message more than a few sentances long. I think that the people here are more helpful and mature though. Thanks again for your help.

-Monkeyfarmer

I think there is like a radeon x1950 or something that is AGP. Link

You would not get RO FPS gains because RO is CPU dependent. Your CPU is holding you back in all UT engine games.

The source engine will be better because of the new card.

Loadtimes will improve. Try to find a new CPU, and there are some really cheap mobos are you sure you can't afford any of them?

If you spend more on a Mobo you can buy a cheaper but more effective video card, and get a cheap but better CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128056
$79.99
Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103747
$82.50
Cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127286
$109.99
Vid Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609084
20.99 for 512mb

That's like $315 without tax (2 sticks of 512 ram).

Something like that will get you a computer soooooo much better than just spending 300 bucks on an outdated AGP card and some ram. That ram is $75 and only 400mhz.

Really no point in buying outdated components when for about $100 more you can replace all your outdated components with fairly high end stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Find out the fastest processor is you can get for your socket 754 then get it. Make sure to read your motherboard manual to see exactly what it says about what processors it supports (if no manual then research online). You might also need to get a higher watt power supply (but probably not). Also you need to research exactly what type of heatsink & fan combo you need to properly cool the new CPU. Maybe your old one will suffice, maybe not. The RAM yes you can get another stick of ddr400 ram and it should be fine with your other ddr400 stick. The video card I'm not sure about the specs of it but as mentioned RO puts the hurt on your CPU alot more than your video card so maybe your old video card will suffice. Main thing though is to get the absolute fastest processor available for your motherboard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you spend more on a Mobo you can buy a cheaper but more effective video card, and get a cheap but better CPU.
Problem with windows XP is if you change the motherboard you will have to buy a new copy of XP. Only way you don't have to rebuy the OS is if you have the "retail" version of XP. The "OEM" or preinstalled versions (prebuilt computers) won't let you transplant a new motherboard.

Upvote 0
Problem with windows XP is if you change the motherboard you will have to buy a new copy of XP. Only way you don't have to rebuy the OS is if you have the "retail" version of XP. The "OEM" or preinstalled versions (prebuilt computers) won't let you transplant a new motherboard.

Just a minor correction. You do not have to buy a new copy of XP just from switching out the mainboard. All you have to do is when you go to reactivate you might get a message saying that you keycode has already been activated and they will give you a phone number to call and also have a really long number that you will tell the assistant at MS over the phone. They will ask you the reason why and just tell them that you upgraded your mainboard and had to reload windows. Then they will give another really long number to enter in manually to re-activate windows.

Chances are if you have only activated your copy once since you have had it
you wont have to go thru the steps above.

The only time that you need to purchase a new copy of Windows Version **Any of them** is when you have a 2 computers running the same copy of windows "version all of them" 1 COA (Certificate of Authenticity the key code) applys to only 1 computer. It doesnt apply to swapping out different hardware.

I am an OEM builder. I swap out mainboards for people upgrading all the time.

Also PM me and maybe i can help you find a bargain that will fit close to your budget.

Chuck

Upvote 0

Not so much. I bought an OEM XP disc & sticker from a computer store a couple years back, and I've used it now through.... let's see, I've gone through 3 motherboards, 2 processors, 3 video cards, 5 re-installs ... you get the idea.

No problems whatsoever.

Upvote 0
I have two sticks of 1GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-5300 (667Mhz at CL5 latencies, 557Mhz at CL4, 400Mhz at CL3) and I have no use for them. If you upgrade the mobo Ill donate them to you, all youll have to pay are the mailing fees which could be a bit high if youre in the USA (Im in Israel).
PM me if you want.

Upvote 0
This is what I would get considering your budget of $300:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939 $70 cdn
Mobo: Asus A8V-VM SE $60 cdn
GPU: Radeon X1650 Pro PCI-E $107 cdn

Total: $237.00

Don't spend money on RAM or a PSU just yet. Your RAM will fit on the new Mobo and it won't be that much of a bottle neck. Your PSU might be able to handle the new harware. Sometimes cheaper PSUs can't handle upgrades too well so, if it doesn't, you have money left from your $300 budget to upgrade that as well.

Bottom line, your CPU is the bottle neck right now and I think that you have the fastest available for Socket 754, so going to Socket 939 will give you access to much faster CPUs and you won't need to upgrade to DDR2 RAM.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to point out a few things.

The athlonXP 2800+ is called the Barton Core and runs on a 462pin Motherboard. on a bus speed of 166/333 therefor minimum ram frequency is ddr333 aka pc2700

(My guess is you are using 1x512 ddr333 + 1x512 ddr400)

The 754pin Mobo runs the first gen athlon64 called Clawhammer.
The athlon64 3400 and 3700 with 1mb l2 cash were very VERY good processors for its time.
AMD dropped production of those processors and introduced the 754 pin semprons in order to sell their new Athlon64's on the 939 pin motherboard.

The best advice is getting a low budjet mobo + CPU and re-use old hardware.
However, the trickyness in price/performance comes here.

You need to buy ram or be stuck with 512 ddr400 (the 333 will not run on a 939 pin unless you nerf the cpu...

Buying 512mb ram ddr400 is not much cheaper then buying 1 gig of DDR2 667

Options 1

65$ motherboard 939pin mobo with either an nvidia chipset such as the 6150 or a VIA chipset will do a decent job
120$ Whatever price/performance cpu you can find for cheap... remember that by the next upgrade, they will be more expensive and hard to find
PCI-E videocard such as an X1650
512 to 1gig ddr400 ram because 512 is less then minimum. (if I am right about you only having 512 ddr400)
"You can also save money if you find a 939pin mobo with agp8x"

Option 2
80$ am2 chipset mobo
<140$ 3800X2 to a 4600X2 (Price performance)
<100 1gig ddr2 667

I think the newer motherboards still have at least 1 IDE Controller. (new hardware runs SATA with 1IDE for older cdroms)

Option 2 is more expensive but has a lot more future upgrading potential.
Also, with time you can rebuild the old hardware as a half decent second machine

Upvote 0
I would start with a combo like this, (bottom combo) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ubCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

Then a Video Card like this, if you can maybe stretch your budget to $400. and get some memory from the "RAMM Fairy". :)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...s/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2918356&Sku=B52-7870

If not, I would still get that CPU and MoBo Combo, and maybe a 7800GS or a 7600.

You could also find 8600's for cheap if you think you may want to play some of the DX10 games. I think the 7950GT still beats the 8600 for DX9 games though.

Also with this board you have an excellent chipset, and can use DDR2-800 Memory.

Here is a page with AMD X2 5200 combos. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16819103759&SubCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

Last edited:
Upvote 0