• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

picking up a second SMG?

To challenge the logic of this thread.
mg3421yr.jpg

This German MG-Sch

Upvote 0
RedStorm said:
How does this idea have anything to do with foring two MG42s at once? No, you couldn't do that in real life. You could sling your own weapon on your back and quickly return fire in a combat situation with a weapon that's lying around, though, like the original picture shows.
Yes you can do it IRL. You can do many things that will ruin this game if modelled IRL :)

So, if I find a picture of a guy using is MG-42 while shooting his luger with left hand, Mp40 slung his shoulder and a panzerfaust on his back; will you say "Let's model it because it was done!" again? How far it will go? Will we have 6 weapon slots in 2 years with these suggestions? What's the logic in this as Kr

Upvote 0
I think i would be ok to allow soldiers to pick up another SMG or whatever but this should affect his mobility and aiming... but i you guys dont wanna to make it in game then its ok, nevermind ;)

Rak said:
Then I want a knife and a slice of bread for regenerating health after battles!!111
lol, great idea :D ! Just imagine you and your clanmates eating sanwiches after battle... :D
or
when you are hit, pull out a sandwich from your pocket and eat it to regenerate health, YEAH ! thats so realistic ;P

Upvote 0
just to get back to realm of reality here,
having a key to sling your primary weapon on your back and then being able to picking up a 2de gun temporaraly isnt a bad idea.
then later you can throw the 2de gun away and get your own gun back.
i can see soldiers doing that IRL. (cleaning out a building usualy isnt a good idea with just a rifle, specialy not if you see a SMG on the ground near by
and having to throw your rifle away knowing you'll need to later (so snipe from sayed building for example) as it is now isnt totaly realistic either is it.

also if you have the 2de primary gun in hand and you pick up a clip/mag/drum from the ground you start to reload that weapon (so you can atleast be sure its full of ammo)
but you cant take any spare ammo with you.

also switcing back to the weapon on yourback shouldnt be instantaniusly after you've thrown the 2de gun away like it is now with pistols after your weapons been shot out of your hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Well in the Bundeswehr the MG3 Gunner (basically an improved MG42 firing NATO Ammo) has to carry an Assault Rifle in additon to the MG, and i guess this proves that its not that far off.

The Assault Rifle is for the Case that the MG is no longer Combat Read (Lack of ammunition or an Overheated Barrel), it's certainly not probable to fire the Assault Rifle while one is carrying the MG. But it is a secondary Armament. I guess this would it tough to code in, since the Assault Rifle would only be usable when the MG is no longer held/carried by the Soldier.

This is the only one part of the truth. Yes, in Bundewehr the MG gunner carry also a personal weapon. But, like you said, it is a false conclusion to allow to use both weapons in RO. In real life the MG is and was a team weapon. This means there wasn't only one soldier carrying the gun, the ammo, the replacement barell and other tools. RO makes a trade off and allow you carry all the things ALONE. But allowing to carry more weapons makes you even more unrealistic.

Upvote 0
Avron said:
This is the only one part of the truth. Yes, in Bundewehr the MG gunner carry also a personal weapon. But, like you said, it is a false conclusion to allow to use both weapons in RO. In real life the MG is and was a team weapon. This means there wasn't only one soldier carrying the gun, the ammo, the replacement barell and other tools. RO makes a trade off and allow you carry all the things ALONE. But allowing to carry more weapons makes you even more unrealistic.

That's a good point.

Upvote 0
Avron said:

The Problem in RO is, if people can carry a Rifle/SMG besides the MG they would be able to use them. My take on it would be, that if they drop the MG, then and ONLY then would they be able to use that Rifle/SMG, and not any other way. Thus if you're out of ammo, and no one is bringing you ammo, you can continue fighting.

In my Opinion one should not allow a MG Gunner to switch Weapons, while still carrying an MG.

Upvote 0
I think it would not make the game too fun. I don't want to be in a duel with a rifleman, only after having fired 5 shots have him realize that he has an SMG on his back, then rush me while blazing away. Even if I'm the only one he kills with it, because he has no more ammo, it'd still be pretty lame.

If we're going to put this kind of thing in RO, I also want to see MG-42s that can be deployed on German soldier's backs, whistles for Soviet platoon leaders that force all Soviet players to rush or be auto-killed, Soviet dogs with bombs strapped to their backs as moving land mines, German STG-44s that can shoot around corners, etc...

Upvote 0
TheBeagle said:
It wouldn't be a bad idea. AA has it but then you can't use grenades for some reason if you have a 2nd gun.
i guess the idea is : 'where do you keep your 2de gun while handeling the grenade'.
which seems logical.

Deathsai said:
I think it would not make the game too fun. I don't want to be in a duel with a rifleman, only after having fired 5 shots have him realize that he has an SMG on his back, then rush me while blazing away. Even if I'm the only one he kills with it, because he has no more ammo, it'd still be pretty lame.
i douth that would happen much. the weapon he has in his hand has to be his temporary weapon. so he'll know what he spawned with.
if a SMG picked up a rifle he only gets 5 bullets max and he'll likely only use it to shot a few ppl he sees far away then drop it and move on to do the things he normaly does. i douth verry much the secondary weapons will be carryed around a long time. they'll most likely be picked up used and thrown away again. which is what i'd do if i was a soldiers in a situation where that would be handy.

Upvote 0
I think it's a decent idea just because the pickup system is so bad that swapping guns can literally lead to life and death situations.

Penalties for picking up a weapon:
Reduced sprint time
Not able to use nades (if you have a weapon shouldered already where would you put your extra gun to get your nades?)
Not able to pickup pistol

I think that would balance it out. You may add increased sway because of the weight but that's it. Keep in mind this is only if you pickup a gun and can't collect the additional ammunition.

Upvote 0
At one point the devs were going to allow players to have a second weapon, proof. I got the pic from the one of the menu screens. It wouldin't be a bad idea just have players tire easily and be more sluggish in their movents if they carry too much.

Wrong. That's an old bug that was fixed a long time ago, where a second weapon would show up on the avatar's back when he tried to pick up a weapon he already had.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0