• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Petition for an LMG based perk.

I_Snipe_U_909

Mar 17, 2019
With most of the perks catering to a certain weapon type and playstyle, Commando being ARs, SWAT being SMGs, and Gunslinger being handguns, I think it'd be an interesting idea to have an LMG perk. Could be akin to the Gunslinger and Berserker perks, in that it could be centered around killing bigger Zeds. Am I alone on this thought?

Reactions: DrunkGerman
Tier 3/4/5, namely for commando, is a good place to leave LMGs, instead of trying to shoehorn them into a full lineup to make another perk.

Players surely expect a little more out of LMGs than out of a basic assault rifle. Tier 2 is where a basic assault rifle fits into KF2's balance. So a tier 2 LMG would be a bit disappointing, while a tier 1 LMG would be hilariously disappointing. I'm imagining a M249 SAW burdening you by 10 weight, while the thing is only loaded with 20rd mags.

One of the potential gameplay mechanics that come to mind when thinking of machine guns is overheating, but to make that a part of a new LMG perk in KF2 would be kind of backwards. Half the point of an LMG is that it handles heat better than an assault rifle, and assault rifles already have zero issue with heat in KF2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aze and Aleflippy
Upvote 0
The Stoner is a testament to why belt-fed weapons are out of place in a game like Killing Floor 2. If we absolutely need more LMGs...

1. They'll more likely be a Commando or SWAT weapon due to overlapping roles (Maybe SWAT since he gets increased magazine capacity per level)
2. They will have to be magazine-fed like the RPK or M249.

I guess in the case of the M249, perhaps this might be a good way to balance it?

M249

Price: $1600
Damage: 40 (Same as AK-12)
Rate of fire: 500
Magazine size: 60
Penetration: 4
Other: This weapon has duct-taped magazines.

Thinking that it would be reasonable for a magazine-fed LMG to have a slower rate of fire than its real life counter-part while also have a high penetration. This would give off the illusion that you have a bullet hose while also not being too difficult to control. Another way to increase the amount of bullets a magazine-fed LMG could lay down the field would be to duct-tape a pair of Surefire MAG5-60's together (Quad-stacked AR-15 magazines that have a similar profile to the STANAG double-stack)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stoner certainly shows that the reload times of a belt fed are a major disadvantage, but I wouldn't dismiss future belt feds entirely. It could be made worthwhile with other advantages. In stoner's case, that may take some finesse or unrealistic adjustments, but in the case of another belt fed, raw power could more easily do the trick, a higher caliber belt fed could be chosen. Now that tier 5 is well established, fears of this becoming particularly overpowered shouldn't be as bad as they were before we got the stoner, when most everyone was insisting any potential LMG addition would be game breaking.

Reactions: I_Snipe_U_909
Upvote 0
I'm afraid a perk dedicated just for MGs would be wasting too much effort for too little effect- as we already have existing instances for this "sustained firepower slash volume of fire" role, namely Firebug's afterburn, groundfire and the ample fuel tank on Flamethrower and Microwavegun, SWAT's innate double mag size bonus on low-recoiling SMGs, and Commando with Stoner LMG.

Upvote 0
Pretty much what everyone else said : you can hardly justify the inclusion of a LMG perk when the crowd-control niche is already filled by the SWAT (and the commando, to a lesser extent).

Sure, its skills would flesh it out far more (making him a juggernaut for example, or a resourceful powerhouse for example). But the result would still be that you'd get a middle ground between the aforementioned perks and little else.

I do agree however, that it would be nice to get one or two other LMGs in the future. The stoner don't cover every ground possible by that weapon category... Why not a slower, but harder hitting weapon next time?

Upvote 0
NokiaSE;n2331025 said:
I'm afraid a perk dedicated just for MGs would be wasting too much effort for too little effect- as we already have existing instances for this "sustained firepower slash volume of fire" role, namely Firebug's afterburn, groundfire and the ample fuel tank on Flamethrower and Microwavegun, SWAT's innate double mag size bonus on low-recoiling SMGs, and Commando with Stoner LMG.

But if we're talking about just the weapons though, I agree it wouldn't hurt for the Commando perk to have more MG options like the tubby hog (M60E6) or something - by this I actually mean "they couldn't possibly be worse than THIS!"

Upvote 0