• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[PC] Summer Showdown CD Mentor Tournament 2023 Signups are LIVE!

Tamari

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 26, 2015
L3od26o.png

Posted with permission from Molly

Hey everyone! My community and I are putting on a KF2 Mentor Tournament using the Controlled Difficulty (CD) mod and we're looking for people to come sign up and play!

Check out the announcement trailer here!

Tournament Website
https://summershowdown.net

What's a Mentor Tournament?
A Mentor Tournament involves an experienced player (a Mentor) taking on a group of newer or lesser-experienced players, showing them the ropes, and competing against other Mentor-led teams to see who can perform the best in a given match! Several experienced players from our community have volunteered to be Mentors to help show you the ropes!

The ultimate goal of this tournament is to unite the community and give newer players the opportunity to learn and grow alongside experienced players in mechanical skill, game knowledge, and confidence in a friendly competitive environment where there is no fear of being judged. If nothing else, the primary goal is to show the world what CD has to offer and also have FUN and make friends together while doing it!

What's CD?
CD is a mod designed to provide an enhanced level of control and accessibility over the game's intensity settings. For example, through CD, it's possible to set how many zeds can be alive on the battlefield, change the spawn intensity, change zed health, and so on. We can even set the game to use a predefined list of zeds that spawn for each wave. The possibilities are nearly limitless!

The primary purpose CD serves in this tournament is to create a level of consistency for all teams and also challenge teams with an experience that's slightly harder than that of a typical Hell on Earth match, yet still (mostly) in line with the vanilla KF2 gameplay experience.

Who can play?
Anyone can play as long as they meet the following criteria:
  • Must own the game on STEAM (unfortunately, there is no current plan for supporting Epic Games at this time)
  • At least 300 Hours of Killing Floor 2 game time on record
  • STEAM Community profile must be Public with KF2 hours visible/accessible
  • STEAM Account in good standing, free of VAC Bans, Game Bans, Community Hub restrictions, and other account restrictions
  • Player is not banned from Tamari's KF2 Community
  • Basic level of fluency in English is a must
  • Must display good mannerisms, excellent sportsmanship, a willingness to be communicative, and a commitment to preserving a fun and toxic-free environment

Format
An open Group Stage for the first three weeks, leading into a seeded (via results from the Group Stage) Double Elimination bracket for the Playoffs.
The goal of each match is to earn the highest number of Points, which are earned through a unique scoring system created specifically for this tournament. The better your team performs, the more points you earn! In the Playoffs rounds, earning a higher score than the enemy team will win you the match and allow you to advance to the next round.

Prizes
Right now we are planning to provide a copy of the Ultimate Edition Upgrade DLC to the winners of the tournament, which contains all current DLC weapons, cosmetics, and characters as well as all remaining weapon DLC for 2022. Other prizes may be announced at a later date.

When does it start?
Signups close on June 21, 2023.
The tournament starts on July 3, 2023 and ends no later than September 18, 2023.
Due to eliminations, not all teams will be required to play for the full duration of the event.

Great! Where do I sign up to play?
More information about the event, including the signup sheet, can be found on the official tournament website:
https://summershowdown.net

If you're new to CD, this is tournament is designed for YOU and is meant to expose you to the experience in a fun and friendly way. Don't be shy, we don't bite!
I just want to mention that we do have a maximum capacity of 42 Players for the event, after which all other submissions will be placed on a waiting list. Sign up while you still can!

Where can I watch if I don't feel like playing?
We'll be streaming and casting as many matches as we can, so you'll want to join the tournament Discord Server (see below for a link) to keep up to date with the match schedule!

Also, you can check out some of our casted matches from last year here:

Join the tournament Discord Server
https://discord.gg/V7PBHR6Qgu

You don't need to be participating to join. Come hang out and partake in the festivities!

Some other important notes
  • Teams are chosen via a draft selection in this tournament. In a draft selection, team captains take turns selecting players until all players have been chosen. To aid in producing balanced teams, all players will be placed into Experience Groups that denote a player's relative experience within CD.
  • Players from all regions are welcome to participate in this tournament, provided they meet the minimum criteria. By signing up to play, ALL competitors are expected to understand that their teammates AND opponents may be based in a distant time zone, which means that some or all players in a team may be required to play at inopportune / abnormal times throughout the day.
  • Playing in this tournament is not meant to be a massive time sink, however you will still be expected to be there for your team and be able to commit a reasonable amount of time in a given week to practice, coordinate, and ensure your team's best chances of succeeding in each match. Teams typically spend about 2-4 hours per week practicing, with a single match being played on the weekend for 1-2 hours.
  • If you're new to our community / tournaments, you will be required to participate in a few friendly CD matches with us so we can get to know you. The staff and I will then evaluate whether you are a good fit for the tournament. Don't stress about this too much. As long as you are friendly and keep an open mind, there's little to no chance of you being rejected.

Thanks and hope to see some of you out there!!
- Tamari

I can't find where I can edit my post, so I just wanted to add that we've reduced the required hours to 200!

Also, since I've been asked this question on other places I've posted about this, I just wanted to mention that the reason why we have the hours requirement in the first place is to prevent smurfing (where someone makes an alt account and poses as a newbie). In the end of the day, the attitude and maturity level are way more important to us. If you're a chill and fun person and are willing to learn, you're still welcome to join us :D

Reactions: razorfancy
Upvote 0
A late response, but I just wanted to say I'm grateful for seeing this, both posted in the forums and for TWI to be supporting it. (And to see that so many of your slots filled up; it's good to know that players are willing to engage with this!) The difference between the usual sort of game vs. a CD team is night and day.

I would love to sign up but current issues keep me from promising that level of commitment, disappointingly.

Upvote 0