• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pay to win with macrotransactions and it's effect on the game

This is what I really hate about the randomness of the drop system!! Oh well mayb one day Ill get something exceptional... bth Ill probably have finished the game and moved on, coming back for the occasion map every so often! :rolleyes:

I got that reinforced helmet thing. Saw someone selling it for 80 dollars. Though, don't know why everyone is being such a baby over this atm.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,
Zweihander. The concept of "sidegrades" is an interesting one however restricting it to the purchase of a $25 external game ($2-$5 on sale but still) is a bit much. While making it available to everyone on the server is nice, it was still a pay to win mechanic (until the nerf) and still restricts a weapon behind a completely unreasonable paywall. Will this be a continued trend or has Tripwire acknowledged that the idea was a poor one?
Anything but more paid weapons will be surprise.

Upvote 0
Well KF2 is only one side of the coin.

Well KF2 is only one side of the coin.

The cross over was not only for KF2. Chiv also got some KF2 themed weapons and armor stuffs(I loved the Flesh Ponder staff lol) to promote KF2 to the Chiv crowd. Imo this crossover was a great idea. Both games got people with their fan base interested in each others game and people that bought each others game got some cool stuff out of it. Considering the sword has been nerfed to death. I dont see this as a p2w problem.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't even say it makes the game pay to win, its shared if you don't have the game but here's the thing, most people who get games on sale often already had Chivalry before this update anyways. Its not some super unknown game that you had to buy. Its pretty much impossible to not have it already or be in a sever where no one has it. Unless you're in a sever with one other person I'm never the only one

Super unknown? Are you saying that Chivarly isn't a known game?

Upvote 0
If you are complaining about MT's go to the KF2 steam discussion boards not here.
There you will find people like you!
You should complain too. Because they said they will "show people how to do early access right", and now 6 months later we have exclusive weapons that require you to pay for XYZ game, random microtransactions, exclusive items limited to people who pay for what tripwire comes up with or require luck.

Upvote 0
You should complain too.
-we have exclusive weapons that require you to pay for XYZ game

No... Never once you were required to buy that game unless you wanted to play as Tom Banner.

In 90% of the games I have played in there was always at least one person with Chivalry so the sword was damn near always available to me through the nifty sharing system.

Upvote 0
No... Never once you were required to buy that game unless you wanted to play as Tom Banner.

In 90% of the games I have played in there was always at least one person with Chivalry so the sword was damn near always available to me through the nifty sharing system.

That's a moot point. Just because 90% of the games you participated in have the sword, doesn't mean 90% of all games do.

About 50% of the games I've played in, only I have the sword.

The fact is, tripwire did include weapons behind a paywall even before the game was out of EA, even if just one. People are allowed to voice their dislike about that, and it's a valid point.

Ultimately, TW said they were doing early access "done right". According to my opinion (and I might add, most people's opinion I've heard outside this forum) their definition of " done right" is just about everyone else's definition of done wrong.

I don't care, according to their track record the game will turn out good in the end, so IMO let them have their development process the way they want it. I'm just hoping that like RO2, there's still a somewhat active playerbase this side of the atlantic when it does finally become a great game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Main thing that also gets me is how the micro transactions were handled as a whole.

The pay wall for chivalry doesn't really bother me to much since the game is fairly cheap most of the time and fairly obscure. That does worry me about the future though about games that will cost 60 dollars or more having a cross promotional weapon but i think at that point they would have done a lot more to cause them to lose customers (as in if they are going to go that nuts then they probably would have done something just as bad before hand). I still don't really like how early it was released, a lot of the content still isn't there and it seems like they could have went in a different direction with it.

The whole crate system is what has me bothered, smells like cash grab, it feels dirty and i bang my head against the wall wondering why you would even have it. Yeah, it's only skins for now but what about when you eventually have paid weapons (hopefully very, very far down the line after everything else is done or that addition would kill the game stone dead). Will you be able to just buy them or will you need to be a mercy of the drop fairy, boxes and the community market?

And again, why was this released so early? The game is still in a very beta state, things need balance, the perks are not all in yet and there are still some major bugs that are stopping people from playing and there are still a lot of quality of life things to fix. Before someone says it yes, yes, people are from different departments and can do different things but for something like the market you need people from the programming department, art, audio, people who do UI, and on top of all that it's still taking up a lot of time that could have been spent somewhere else. Lets face it, KF2 is a niche game, it's not like CS: GO where releasing a skin system would rake in a ton of money, the people who are playing are mostly just interested in playing, not skin hunting.

I don't want to hear "we are doing EA right" again, i actually want to see it happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly am fine with this type of system, as long as its shared, i am fine. Also as long as ypu can get it whenever and still unlock it, that is fine too. It would be crap however, if they made it like a limited edition buy, that would be crap because there are some people who wouldnt have money for full price. Also, the zweihander is a decent trash killer, but still doesnt compare to that hammer, really glad it got nerfed too, didnt make sense for a T2.5 weapon to be higher in usefulness than the higher counterparts.

I would honestly love to see more crossovers, we probably would see one for RS2 at one point where you get like a BAR, M14/M16, or w/e

Upvote 0
You should complain too. Because they said they will "show people how to do early access right", and now 6 months later we have exclusive weapons that require you to pay for XYZ game....

It's funny you mention this considering in another thread about Chivalry being on sale for 2.50 on the topic of the sword you said this...

Still to expensive for medicore weapon that I can use 90% of time already.

You pretty much just complain for the sake of it. In one thread you are saying it's pointless to buy because you don't like it and it's available to you most of the time and now here you are saying it's behind a paywall like it's a big deal. Which is it? You can't complain both ways. It is either accessible or not accessible to you.

Upvote 0
I don't disagree with the intent, but rather the execution.

I'm actually fine with a good majority of skins for weapons and characters being random drops in games. It's nice to see that you may get something for an item. In fact, I am also fine with a skin set that they have on sale, since it is a specific look I get to choose to buy. As long as I have the Choice and Guarantee to get the skin I want I am okay shelling money out.

However, and this is based on the notion that TWI will take some time to read this thread and others like it, I don't like the random crate system that have to be opened with keys. Instead, I would rather have something replace it, since I don't like having to spend money for a Possible Choice.

A good example could be that Universal USB sticks exist, and can be used to open any crate or decoder, but are very rare drops in game. That or have a number of USB sticks tied to achievements, and when completing one you gain a pertinent USB stick. If you beat patty, you get 1 Horzine USB for the crate or decoder. Beating Hans gives you something else. And beating either on the hardest difficulty gives you access to 1 Golden USB, allowing you to get at least 1 gold item without spending money.

In other words, rewarding players for playing the game naturally, and still having the option to circumvent that if you so choose by going through the store. I think that in this case Early Access may be the best way to go about it, since it gives us the chance to let our thoughts be known and tweak the system to the best it can be.

Upvote 0
I don't disagree with the intent, but rather the execution.

I'm actually fine with a good majority of skins for weapons and characters being random drops in games. It's nice to see that you may get something for an item. In fact, I am also fine with a skin set that they have on sale, since it is a specific look I get to choose to buy. As long as I have the Choice and Guarantee to get the skin I want I am okay shelling money out.

However, and this is based on the notion that TWI will take some time to read this thread and others like it, I don't like the random crate system that have to be opened with keys. Instead, I would rather have something replace it, since I don't like having to spend money for a Possible Choice.

A good example could be that Universal USB sticks exist, and can be used to open any crate or decoder, but are very rare drops in game. That or have a number of USB sticks tied to achievements, and when completing one you gain a pertinent USB stick. If you beat patty, you get 1 Horzine USB for the crate or decoder. Beating Hans gives you something else. And beating either on the hardest difficulty gives you access to 1 Golden USB, allowing you to get at least 1 gold item without spending money.

In other words, rewarding players for playing the game naturally, and still having the option to circumvent that if you so choose by going through the store. I think that in this case Early Access may be the best way to go about it, since it gives us the chance to let our thoughts be known and tweak the system to the best it can be.

Would be good but they probably won't do this however. The way the crate system works, and what makes it so profitable, is that it's a multi pronged approach to generate money. First through direct key sales, then through market transaction commissions, and crate sales.

By limiting the rarity of good drops due to chance, more keys have to be bought for a good statistical chance of getting a good item. Due to the key paywall and random chance, those items are high in demand in the market and thus sell for high value. High values mean high commissions.
After enough of them drop, market gets saturated and the price eventually goes down, sure. Introduce new crates and new rare skins however, and the cycle comes back up again.
If you do like CSGO and have time gated case drops however (tournament cases, etc) another thing happens. Eventually, no more of the old rare cosmetics drop, which means that given enough time they will gain value again.

Then there's the whole gray market of item lotteries, and paypal transactions that keeps a lot of big fish in the game, buying crates, flipping items, and playing lotteries. Also, the flipper bots as well.

Oh, not to mention you have a bunch of "quality" levels to further dilute the drop tables, artificially increasing the rarity of already in demand skins.

Strike a balance, introduce new rare items and cases regularly, and you have a pretty killer way of generating money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0