• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paranoia Mod - RELEASED!

Don't expect a Crysis, moron.

Im not expecting Crysis you stupid TWAT!! :rolleyes:

I was expecting a game that was supposed to be a massive improvement visually, as that was one of the selling points? Everyone commented on the LOOK of it, which made me try it!

Im still gonna give it a try to check out what the gameplay has to offer as alot of work has gone into this and it definitly deserves a play

Upvote 0
I was expecting a game that was supposed to be a massive improvement visually

I'm guessing here, but its been a while since you played a HL1, yes? you might not remember just how old that game looks today (we tend to remember stuff better than it was), or any of its mods for that matter.
Paranoia definately looks good compared to any other HL1 mod, but we have since been spoiled rotten by true skeletal animation, DX9 effects and textures more than twice the size of the maximum HL1 allows, so if you expected something better than this, you expected too much.. its still just Half-Life.

But the training missions are actually quite ugly, too many of thouse textures are digitized photos, so if you still haven't gotten past that part, it does get better.

Upvote 0
I installed it, a problem though. It appears when I launch HL1 it launches the application Steam.exe -applaunch 70. But hl.exe, the application Paranoia tries to launch, is nowhere to be found on my PC (along with all other files/folders pertaining to HL1). Did I need a boxed version of HL1 or something?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The actual gameplay against the initial terrorists was really fun I found, and a lot different from what you'd expect from a Half-Life mod with reskined Grunts - namely that the terrorist gunfire is an actual threat and you have the ability to take them down quickly with headshots (at least on Medium you do).

The combat against the watchamacallits however was basically just like fighting headcrab zombies, especially when you run out of ammo and have to do the Crowbar-tango with a combat knife against a headcrab zombie that moves faster, hits harder and takes more to kill.

All in all though, I am greatly impressed and thoroughly amused by this game that could actually stand on its own if it had a modern engine and a longer campaign (though the campaign felt longer since I spent a lot of time dicking around looking at things :p )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All in all though, I am greatly impressed and thoroughly amused by this game that could actually stand on its own if it had a modern engine and a longer campaign (though the campaign felt longer since I spent a lot of time dicking around looking at things :p )

Did you find all the secret areas? I found about 4 (on my second run of the game) but I think there might be more ;)

Upvote 0
I installed it, a problem though. It appears when I launch HL1 it launches the application Steam.exe -applaunch 70. But hl.exe, the application Paranoia tries to launch, is nowhere to be found on my PC (along with all other files/folders pertaining to HL1). Did I need a boxed version of HL1 or something?

Uninstall the mod then launch the mods installer file. When it asks you to specify an install path, point it here:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steamapps\yourusername\half-life

Obviously change yourusername to the one you use to log into steam with.

Upvote 0
Uninstall the mod then launch the mods installer file. When it asks you to specify an install path, point it here:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steamapps\yourusername\half-life

Obviously change yourusername to the one you use to log into steam with.
I've installed it there once already, but I didn't have a half-life folder so the only thing in there is the Paranoia files and nothing more... It seems that, even though I can play HL1, there are no folders or files for it anywhere on my PC...

Upvote 0
I've installed it there once already, but I didn't have a half-life folder so the only thing in there is the Paranoia files and nothing more... It seems that, even though I can play HL1, there are no folders or files for it anywhere on my PC...

Did you install the game through steam or the original CD's? It has to be on your hard drive somewhere. Do a search for 'hl.exe' and where ever the half life folder resides just copy the paranoia folder over to the root directory of the half life folder.

You are running the original half life and not half life: source are you?

Upvote 0
I just finished it. impressive visuals,sounds,level design, and an okay story. What really annoyed me about this mod was that the hitboxes on the enemies were messed up, it like it took a billion hits to kill an enemy and they had super accuracy and I couldin't tell if I actually hit an enemy or not because they didn't bleed all the time. Another thing was that it was really short, and the gameplay was rather boring. I've played much better HL1 SP mods in my days but this one wasen't bad.

Upvote 0
I just finished it. impressive visuals,sounds,level design, and an okay story. What really annoyed me about this mod was that the hitboxes on the enemies were messed up, it like it took a billion hits to kill an enemy and they had super accuracy and I couldin't tell if I actually hit an enemy or not because they didn't bleed all the time. Another thing was that it was really short, and the gameplay was rather boring. I've played much better HL1 SP mods in my days but this one wasen't bad.

The devs' build of Paranoia doesn't seem to have that problem, though, a lot of people on their moddb page are talking about lack of hit detection and they're pretty confused because it worked fine for them.

I actually checked the hitboxes myself and they're all in order, very few models have missing hitboxes (these are usually noncombatant NPCs), but the hit detection is still off, I do hope they fix it. Only thing wrong with the mod, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
first off, make sure you've run Half-Life at least once. just boot it up, load up the training room, then quit. after that, check the steam directory and make sure that you don't have a Half-Life folder inside your half-life folder. if you do, move its contents into the first half-life folder. if it doesn't work then, make sure you installed the mod in the proper place. (it has to be installed inside the steam folder in order to work, and judging by your path you didn't check to make sure that that's the correct directory.)

Could you possibly point out exactly where this should install to plz-
I am presuming your half life folder (not source version) containing the exe.
ie..steam\steamapps\myaccountname\halflife
thing is , when i browsed and selected this destination, the instalation wanted to install it to another created folder called halflife within this- and subsequently couldn't find the exe.
then I dragged the contents out this folder into the main half one, and I sort of bodged it to work, but it wasn't happy and after closing it i couldn't get it to run it again.
could you put me out of my misery please?

Upvote 0
Could you possibly point out exactly where this should install to plz-
I am presuming your half life folder (not source version) containing the exe.
ie..steam\steamapps\myaccountname\halflife
thing is , when i browsed and selected this destination, the instalation wanted to install it to another created folder called halflife within this- and subsequently couldn't find the exe.
then I dragged the contents out this folder into the main half one, and I sort of bodged it to work, but it wasn't happy and after closing it i couldn't get it to run it again.
could you put me out of my misery please?

Go into ...\Steam\SteamApps\YourAccountName\Half-Life

Now create a folder called "Paranoia", run the exe and tell it to install in this folder.

Once installed, check that it worked, the Paranoia folder should now contain a bunch of files and folders (cl_dlls, dlls, events, gfx etc etc), if it does not, find out where they are and put them in the Paranoia folder.

Then clouse steam, and restart it (or reboot), and it should be in your "my games" list.

Upvote 0
Make sure it looks something like this:

dir.JPG

As Grobut said: All you need is the '/paranoia' folder (with all its contents) in the root directory of your '/half-life' folder. You can use 'launch.bat' to launch the game.

Upvote 0

I'd have to agree, the hit detection is off badly. On my first play through, I unloaded a full clip into a terrorist at point blank range and it didn't seem to affect him. Near unplayable imo.

Upvote 0
Thanks fort the help Grobut/Dcode.
If i create a paranoia folder as a dest., it actually creates a 2nd halflife folder, contained a 2nd paranoia folder, inside it- and can't find the exe.
I got it working by dragging paranoia content into main Hl folder.
I'd done this before but I guess it didn't work for some other reason.

Ok, hitbox problems aside this was pretty good. No need for the shooting range really but i like mellow wanders around bases as atmosphere buiders.
Combat was tough, but i was glad to see they didn't overdo the number of enemies, or use the typical enemy position tricks.
1st hour or so felt like FEAR with a bit more personality and restraint.

Following that guy on the comms into KPOT-1 was pretty good- and whilst i don't normally 'go to ravenshome', this aspect wasn't too bad cos they didn't over do it.

Upvote 0